Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is anyone watching the 70th anniversary F1 race?

Thought this was an excellent race. Nice to see how competitive the field is now. Seems like most teams are pretty evenly matched, which makes for some interesting racing.

And even though it's kind of a given that both Mercedes will be on the podiums, it's nice to see those two battling it out and running so close.

I'm enjoying this season so far!

On 8/9/2020 at 4:38 PM, TonyK said:

Recorded it. After last weeks boring race I wasn't going to sit like a dummy watching it.

A race where the winner does the last half a lap with a ruined tyre while his nearest rival is closing on him hand over fist, and the man who had been second drops out of the points with another blown tyre is boring?!!

I enjoyed the very different race this week too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find F1 a bit of a procession most times, and appears more down to the engineering and reliability of any given car. The British Touring Car Championship is much more exciting to watch on TV.

Your NASCAR racing is really hairy! A good view from all around the oval. Close racing without safety runout areas as in F1 if someone gets it wrong on a bend, just a concrete wall to hit all the way around!

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I find F1 a bit of a procession most times, and appears more down to the engineering and reliability of any given car. The British Touring Car Championship is much more exciting to watch on TV.

Your NASCAR racing is really hairy! A good view from all around the oval. Close racing without safety runout areas as in F1 if someone gets it wrong on a bend, just a concrete wall to hit all the way around!

Noel...

Engineering has always been my favorite part of F1. The regs. have deteriorated into a quagmire of corporate money and policy over just plain racing.

Usually there would be enough off track driver related innuendoes or interesting mid season technical updates that would keep me interested.

This year and next look like a promise of the same cr@p as this one so my F1 enthusiasm is waining.

Today at Spa?    Oh,    shambolic show to say the least!

This vid (no sweary words in this one I think) is a good synopsis , ya had to see the race and follow F1 to understand.?

Verstapen said it best!?BORING!!!!!

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Kurt

The most exciting thing about F1 that happened in the UK this year was that their engineers took a break from making racing cars to reverse engineering and producing much needed ventilation machines for Corona Virus patients in hospitals. Their fast design turn around skills enabled them to react very rapidly to this situation and help save lives so credit where it is due. As a retired engineer I can appreciate what work was entailed in doing this, getting 3D computer aided designs prepared for each component and getting them translated into machine code for their CNC machines, sourcing electronic and other bought out components and then getting the machines built in record time!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

20 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

The BTCC is my absolute favourite racing to watch. Although I miss not seeing Plato in there, mixing it up...being Plato. :)

As far as F1, I still like how competitive the mid-pack is now. And it's bizarre how many struggles Ferrari is having this year.  Not being able to get out of Q2, being passed by a Williams, the Alfas, and the AlphaTauris?! It's weird.

Would like to see another tire supplier arrive, and I think the 2022 changes and spending caps will go a long way to improving the sport. Although, other than Mercedes, it's pretty competitive across the board now.

When one of my favorite drivers in F1 says the race is boring I realize it's not just me. I watch every race and it's just sad.

I'm a fan of every type of racing and the BTCC is pretty exciting but personally I'm gonna give the Australian Supercars one notch ahead. It might be the cars that do it for me but both series are very similar in how they race.

14 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Kurt

The most exciting thing about F1 that happened in the UK this year was that their engineers took a break from making racing cars to reverse engineering and producing much needed ventilation machines for Corona Virus patients in hospitals. Their fast design turn around skills enabled them to react very rapidly to this situation and help save lives so credit where it is due. As a retired engineer I can appreciate what work was entailed in doing this, getting 3D computer aided designs prepared for each component and getting them translated into machine code for their CNC machines, sourcing electronic and other bought out components and then getting the machines built in record time!

Yes the work done by F1 teams on the Covid 19 situation is brilliant. 

Was any of their efforts included in that Netflix F1 series?

check out CrankyYankeeF1 YouTube channel for some good F1 content.

The Goodwood Road & Racing YouTube channel has kept me quite entertained 

this summer, lots of good wheel to wheel racing videos. I unfortunately don't 

have the proper TV channels to get many of the categories I'm interested in

Tho some are available to stream (Bathurst 12 hour) is one I look forward to 

every year, imagine F1 cars on that circuit ? no, would never happen ?

Seven races with the top driver winning five of them.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Reminds me of the Gordon and Johnson reign in NASCAR for a long time.

The Indy 500 had little drama as well with the no spectators Allowed postponed version.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

For those wearying of seeing the same name winning GP after GP, here's where things didn't go so well, in the Grand Prix in Czechoslovakia:

'Such was Hamilton's amazing speed, he even started to catch the race leader, but his luck ran out when at speed his waterproof cape blew up into his face. Moments later he lost control and the little J4 rolled several times...'

OK so this was not the same Hamilton, this was Hugh Hamilton in the 1932 Byrno Grand Prix. How times have changed....

Me, I still love F1 even though it is now far safer.