Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

As for me, I think the MPC body looks good, the AMT hood is better, and AMT did the front and rear ends better. If you mix and match, you get a really decent Mustang body. Even if the Revell kit is off body-wise, there is no doubt every other part will be vastly superior to MPC or AMT.

As an aside, I heard Round 2 retooled the MPC (supposed to be a '73) front end to 1971 specs. Then they went and molded the kit in red.

20 minutes ago, Repstock said:

As for me, I think the MPC body looks good, the AMT hood is better, and AMT did the front and rear ends better. If you mix and match, you get a really decent Mustang body. Even if the Revell kit is off body-wise, there is no doubt every other part will be vastly superior to MPC or AMT.

As an aside, I heard Round 2 retooled the MPC (supposed to be a '73) front end to 1971 specs. Then they went and molded the kit in red.

Do you have a pic of the AMT kit your referring to ? 

I know a guy who would shoot my 1/12 scale models but he will only use a color he is already shooting on a real car. I will set up a temp spray area in my two car garage. I will just make sure both the cars are out. Not sure how I would feel about someone else painting one of my models anyway.

7 hours ago, David Miller said:

Do you have a pic of the AMT kit your referring to ? 

The '71 and '72s have the best front ends (so far). The '73 front end isn't perfect but better than MPC. The JoHan has a nice flat hood that fits the MPC body great (you have to cut it from the body, though). The Macho and Street machine do not have stock front seats, but none of the interiors are outstanding, anyway. By the way, the AMT interior has the fold down rear seat, the MPC has the standard rear seat and package shelf, so you can make either interior. The retooled MPC front end (the 007 car) I haven't seen yet, and the coming Revell is also unknown at this point.

I'm glad Round 2 has retooled the 007 Mustang front end, but we can also only hope they got rid of the incorrect hood vents below the windshield. The AMT hood has more accurate scoops anyway, plus no hood vents.

Stangs.jpg

Edited by Repstock

DSCN2368

Mustang.JPG.6bd51c9c90709e24d75ee0815d822321.JPG

I don't know if you can see in these pictures but: See how the top of the front fender doesn't really start sloping down until it's halfway toward the front? The AMT body starts sloping almost right away (top pic). The MPC is much closer to the real car. To me, this makes the MPC look more Mustang-y. If you have both, compare them. This fender shape also affects the hood, to a degree. Again, I like the MPC body, but the AMT front end, back end and hood. The lower chine also looks better on the MPC.

Edited by Repstock

2 hours ago, Repstock said:

DSCN2368

Mustang.JPG.6bd51c9c90709e24d75ee0815d822321.JPG

I don't know if you can see in these pictures but: See how the top of the front fender doesn't really start sloping down until it's halfway toward the front? The AMT body starts sloping almost right away (top pic). The MPC is much closer to the real car. To me, this makes the MPC look more Mustang-y. If you have both, compare them. This fender shape also affects the hood, to a degree. Again, I like the MPC body, but the AMT front end, back end and hood. The lower chine also looks better on the MPC.

I see what you're saying on the front fender profile.  It's looks straighter.  However, the side window profile on the MPC kit is pretty funky compared to the real car.  To get it to look accurate, you have to file the upper drip rail line to reduce the slope and open it up larger.  Then, after you do that, you will need to replace the upper drip rail detail because you will lose most of it when you file it to a more correct angle/shape.  

The AMT kit is much better when it comes to the side window profile, at least.  However, it is more easily correctable compared to the fender curve shape, I guess.  Here's a pic of the inaccurate side window profile of the MPC kit.  I apologize if this is a pic from someone here..  

2020_11_25_12_45_36.jpg.bef319082c1d5d780a2be3783c09ac96.jpg

Edited by the other Mike S.

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/mustang.htm

This website has a great comparison of the MPC and AMT kits.  Needless to say neither kit body is accurate even assuming the AMT is based on the promo.  So it’s a question of how much effort one wants to make on correcting the glaring inaccuracies.  Build one of each would not be that time consuming but then there is the interior, incorrect engines and exhaust systems and lack of any under the hood accessories and so on.  I hope the first version of the new and improved 71 Mustang is many times better than these almost fifty year old molds.

2 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Isn't the MPC kit undersized? Compared to the AMT it is . What is correct?

I think the question is which kit has the least glaring inaccuracies.  The link I posted cover a lot of the major differences of the AMT vs. MPC kits.   In this picture the Sprint and the copper colored 73 are the MPC kits and other are AMT based.  To the eye the MPC kits are larger than the AMT ones.  As I have said many times one of the most annoying thing to me about the MPC kit is the vents in the back of the hood that are difficult to fill in without a lot of work.  Many previous posts have mentioned the issues with many things including the promo based engine compartment, no mufflers, no decals for a Mach1 version, no 351C or 429CJ engine on so on.  At this point there a remote going to be any major changes the the molds so all one can do is spend hours correcting the problems and buying some resin parts and correct decals.  Will I throw the dozen or so kits I have now in the trash when the Revell kit comes out - of course not but it’s not like comparing a OLD Palmer kit to an OLD AMT OR MPC kit.

8B4905B5-4254-4884-B7F5-EE3D1CA301E3.jpeg

16 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Isn't the MPC kit undersized? Compared to the AMT it is . What is correct?

I think you are referring to the '69 which is undersized on the MPC kit.  It's more like 1/26th scale from what I've read.  The AMT version was more accurate when it came to the size (1/25th scale), but the kit/ultra rare promo is practically unobtanium now unless you got super deep pockets.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, vamach1 said:

Two pictures from the Round2 website.  Kind of sad a 428 with a air cleaner for a 70 mustang with a shaker is supposed to pass for a 351 Cleveland or 429CJ engine.  Cannot say I am surprised. ?

*wrong topic*

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

In the box bottom image, I don't see any newly created, semi-stand alone parts, which is kind of what I was expecting after reading "ALL NEW 1971 front end parts, NEW chrome wheels". I wasn't expecting much, but perhaps in this case, "new" means new to this kit or this release, rather than created from scratch/totally new. I would expect to see the old dog dish/thick trim ring equipped wheels from previous releases (not sure if those were MPC or AMT), rather than all-new wheels.

While I understand the disappointment, I don't blame Round2 for not investing too much money in updating this kit. Essentially, they have two imperfect '71-'73 Mustang kits, and there's likely no ideal outcome involving both. They probably picked the "better" one, decided how far they were willing to go, and are getting it out ahead of the forthcoming Revell kit, to capture as many sales as possible before there is on-shelf, direct competition.

At least there are 2.5 (sorry, that Palmer/Lindberg on counts for half) kits, and soon to be a third, kits to kitbash together. ?

I think they should've at least tooled up a more correct front bumper for it though.  Yeah, they did the dog dish hubcaps and horizontal turn signal grill insert which is great.  However, the '71-'72 style front bumper would have been icing on the cake.  As it stands right now, you really can't make a Bond car with it because it only comes with that huge '73 style front bumper.

Edited by the other Mike S.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

Has anyone heard anything more about this kit? Revell hasn't announced it in any of their 2021 releases so far. I hope they didn't decide to shelve the project.

Project is chugging along. You won't hear anything about it until Revell wants you to hear something about it. I highly doubt they'll ever be ones to show off CAD images and rapid prototypes like some companies do. They've long been a "Top Secret Eyes Only" organization - which makes some sense I guess considering most people can't keep from blabbing all over the place if they know something - and those habits die hard.

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date