Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

Those polls were responsible for the then-new 1966 L-79 Nova from AMT . 

The kit was delayed for a year ; was supposed to come out in summer 1987 , but ended up coming out by c.spring 1988 . ( many youngsters / neophytes don't realise just how groundbreaking that kit was back then . It's "tame" by today's standards ; but , it was a quantum leap over the prior years' outdated offerings [ ad nauseam re-releases of archaic annuals -- oftentimes , retooled with new , contemporary wheels -- and other long-in-the-tooth kits from the 70's ; Revell's impossible-to-assemble kits from the early 60's - late 70's ; and Monogram's decent Muscle Car series , etc. , which were toy-like , but still built-up nicely ] ) .

I can foresee , like I'd mentioned earlier in this thread , many variations built-off of the 1971 BOSS 351 base . I want to build a , say , 1971 convertible 429 CJ , in SS/E(A) livery . 

Any survey would have to include a cross section of ALL kit buyers.  While probably impractical unless someone does some really good research of who the purchasers are of kit at Hobby Lobby etc. then you could 100% of the people of this forum agree they want this or that but what about the other 90% (wild guess) of retail customers that buy a kit based upon what they like or are familiar with.  I’m guessing that 58 Edsel is going to lose out to something someone born after 1980 might have a clue what it is.  I have nothing against older cars I just think the market will shift just as it has in the collector car auction world.  Honesty I think someone completely missed the Ford vs. Ferrari marketing opportunity and we have seen some rehashed diecasts but imagine a 1/24 Fujimi like kit of a MKII that comes with an engine. ?

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Those polls were responsible for the then-new 1966 L-79 Nova from AMT . 

The kit was delayed for a year ; was supposed to come out in summer 1987 , but ended up coming out by c.spring 1988 . ( many youngsters / neophytes don't realise just how groundbreaking that kit was back then . It's "tame" by today's standards ; but , it was a quantum leap over the prior years' outdated offerings [ ad nauseam re-releases of archaic annuals -- oftentimes , retooled with new , contemporary wheels -- and other long-in-the-tooth kits from the 70's ; Revell's impossible-to-assemble kits from the early 60's - late 70's ; and Monogram's decent Muscle Car series , etc. , which were toy-like , but still built-up nicely ] ) .

I can foresee , like I'd mentioned earlier in this thread , many variations built-off of the 1971 BOSS 351 base . I want to build a , say , 1971 convertible 429 CJ , in SS/E(A) livery . 

There was a LOT of excitment over the Nova.   There was that molded in mirror thing, but they fixed that too.   Thanks for bringing that up.  

10 minutes ago, randyc said:

There was a LOT of excitment over the Nova.   There was that molded in mirror thing, but they fixed that too.   Thanks for bringing that up.  

I was 18 when the 1966 L-79 Nova was released ; couldn't wait to get my hands on one ! 

That foolish and ridiculous moulded-on , two-dimensional interior rear view mirror was a black eye on an otherwise outstanding kit ! ( For those of you among us whom are young and / or weren't into the hobby when that kit was released : the interior rear view mirror was moulded-on to the inside of the windscreen ! Subsequent issues were sans the mirror... thank God ! ) .

We don’t have a kit of a 55 T-bird, and we got the Edsel before the 66-77 Bronco??

The lists I’ve seen over years are wishes of 45-65yo. Yes 60-70 stuff sells now, but Pinto/etc? Grump Vega, some other stuff nice. But zero relevance to 15-35yo. New Supra, M4, 911, Ram, Tundra, Focus RS, Koeniggsegg, stuff you see on soc media constantly. Lots of others. Diecast crushes kit makers. C8, new Shelby, 720S, 911 GT3RS all out and selling. 

Hope G-Rev gets it. E type a start, update 570 to a 620R. New G-wagen would sell like mad. Need mainstream stuff not the wonderful but esoteric Belkits Nunu Platz stuff. 

There have been a few kits released of both the '56 and '57 Thunderbird.  Most people would consider this close enough.

As I recall, Monogram's '56 was a pretty nice kit, if Revell is looking for iconic American cars to re release.

Personally, I think the T50 would be a great choice, as would just about any modern supercar.

All good comments; thanks everyone.  

I've never built the AMT-Ertl Edsel kit so I can't comment on how it goes together, but looking at the kit in the box, it certainly impressed me.  I have heard some criticisms of certain exterior elements from some on the MCM Forum here, but I did not notice them myself.  But whether a kit is good or not does not always relate to how it sells; the topic of the kit (and other items, such as the box art) all contribute to the overall sales.  Regrettably, the Edsel didn't have them all, and the sales result was underwhelming, at least from what I have been told. 

As far as the 1966 Nova kit, there's a different story line out their on how the kit occurred than what is related above.  We all know that it was widely campaigned as an idea, among kit collectors/builders and in the model car media, going all the way back to 1970 when Hank Borger began publicly advocating for it.  But the internal AMT story is somewhat different; it's too long to recap here but those of you who have a copy of my muscle car kits book can find the info in the sidebar on pg. 121 in Chapter Ten.   Probably both factors influenced the ultimate success of the kit, however.  

Best...TIM

PS/Full Disclosure - though I have advised those in the domestic model car industry at various times since the mid 1970's; I've never been officially employed by any of them.  And the only work I've ever been paid for was during 1975-77 when I did box art and sales meeting models for AMT, and in February of 2014 when Revell hired me to do a detailed buildup and report of all assembly issues with the first round test shots of the 1929 Model A Roadster/1930 Model A Five Window Coupe tooling.    TB

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

As far as the 1966 Nova kit, there's a different story line out their on how the kit occurred than what is related above. 

I wasn't aware that the '66 Nova kit had been tossed around the product planning gym lockers for that long . Perhaps it was the fanfare from c.1986 surrounding this (then-pending) 100% new kit that made it seem like a new idea ; a recent development .

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

You don't even have to do that.  Add an optional '55 bumper, and you're good.

There are more subtle differences than that. Emblems were different and the '56 had the air vents in the front fender. Still, it wouldn't take much to make a '55.

5 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Add an optional '55 bumper, and you're good.

Not exactly, different seat pattern and steering wheel, different taillight lens and housing and of course with the bumper change comes a different exhaust system. Plus don't forget the elimination of the side vents on the front fender. The emblems are different on the nose and trunk, size and shape of the V8 emblems on the fenders are different and no portholes on the removable hardtop. The '56 also had vent windows and sun visors but don't remember if they made it into the kit. Those are the big ones that are easily seen. 

Edited by Phirewriter

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Me neither.

You don't need one to post photos.

Do you have a desk top or lap top with your photos on your hard drive?

Or do you use a photo hosting site?

Steve

yes, I have a digital camera and laptop, so maybe I will post it next week when I have more time to do so

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

It wouldn't take much effort for Round2 and Revell to include a questionnaire in each kit asking what type of cars & trucks we'd like to see.  I'm sure most of us would be happy to return it whether it was postpaid or not. 

I like this idea! I'd return every one I got!

I just found out about this. I'm excited. I like the '71 and '72 Mustangs. I would prefer a big block Mach 1 over a Boss 351. But I'll buy Revell's kit either way. I'll also be picking up Round 2's upcoming Bond '71 Mach 1 too. I just hope they fix the front end on that kit, so it's more correct/better than Ertl's '71 Boss 351. 

A few people here have brought the subject of the lack of a 1/25th scale '55 Thunderbird kit too. I am someone who loves the '55 and '57 Thunderbirds. And I do not like the '56. The continental spare and other minor things do not work for me. Ford took a beautiful, clean car in '55 and over complicated the looks in '56. '57 is different. But again clean to me. I'm building the AMT 1/16 '55 right now. But, I would welcome a 1/25 scale '55 too. 

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If you think about it, that the Edsel kit bombed despite extensive market research is just one more way that it's a faithful replica of the original.

the Edsel tanked in the real world and in the model world too, how much more true to the subject matter could Amt go?!

:D

8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If you think about it, that the Edsel kit bombed despite extensive market research is just one more way that it's a faithful replica of the original.

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

the Edsel tanked in the real world and in the model world too, how much more true to the subject matter could Amt go?!

:D

Bomb or not, I was sure glad that AMT gave us the kit. ;)

Steve

30 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

So was I.  I bought two.

I bought 2, built one and would definitely build another.

It would be interesting to see the figures on how many of these kits sold.

I have a hard time believing it was really a disaster.

I don't know any Model car builders that I can think of that didn't spring for at least one of them.

Steve

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date