Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

The 70 torino chassis is similar, but not similar enough. The 74 is totally different and not very good imo. 

The Cleveland from the 70 Mach I would be correct for the 71

The short answer is yes for the engine except for the intake, carb, valve covers and air cleaner.  Here’s the long answer from another site which points out the other differences which are mostly internal.  It will make a great base engine for a Detomaso Pantera if ANYONE ever makes a kit with one with an engine.

ACEDBA3C-B20E-47F2-AE5F-D4FF646FE39D.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

5 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Like this;

100_3128.JPG

100_3129.JPG

100_3130.JPG

As nice as this build And the grabber lime is AWESOME  is it does show some of the inherent issues with the older molds which although they can be corrected - it’s a lot of work.  The front reflector is too far forward.  The builder added the Missing link grille and chrome bumper which of course are not in the kit.  The stipe is too wide and should taper towards the back of the car.  Not sure if these are Candy or MPC decals or neither.  The kit does have the twist hood “locks.”  The door panels are basically flat although they are supposed to represent the molded deluxe ones.  The honeycomb rear panel was not present on the Boss 351’s.  The kit rear spoiler brackets are too high which is really noticeable on the Testors versions which of course none of which have anything resembling a 351C and ditto for the AMT and MPC kits that have a chassis dating back to around 1968.  The Boss 351 also had the standard gas cap and not the 1971 only Mach1 “pop-off” gas cap.  The builder has added the under hood ram air plenum that is NOT in the kit.  I could list more things but I think we get the point that to make an accurate Boss or Mach1 you have to replace and rework a lot of parts if the builder cares about these things.  I have never built historic military planes or tanks but I can bet those builders scrutinize every last detail to represent an accurate model.  I have even missed some of the “flaws” in the AMT and MPC versions but I decide on a model by model basis whether it is worth my time to correct everything to my liking.  The less things I would have to “fix” the more likely I would buy several of the new kit.

Edited by vamach1

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'd buy one. But as soon as it was announced, the very next post would be "It shoulda been a '68!" :lol:

That post would be from me. I owned a 68 notch from 1977-2001. I would love to see one, but not holding my breath.

I like the ‘big’ Mustangs so I will buy one . This thread got me to thinking I want to build one I have next  . Not a great kit by all accounts but all I have not including the 1/12 kit I have . At least I bought a set of nice decals for it . I will most likely use different than kit wheels but I may paint it yellow .  

D366CFEF-1C62-414F-9427-15A73D4356BE.jpeg

53 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I like the ‘big’ Mustangs so I will buy one . This thread got me to thinking I want to build one I have next  . Not a great kit by all accounts but all I have not including the 1/12 kit I have . At least I bought a set of nice decals for it . I will most likely use different than kit wheels but I may paint it yellow .  

I guess big is all relative as the Mustang of course got a lot smaller and by 2006 was the same size as the 1971-73’s.  Glad to see you are not using those weird kit decals.  What was someone at MPC thinking?  Fill in the hood vents and at least the build will actually resemble a 73 Mach1.  I built a Sportsroof (Brown color) just to see how the kit goes together from an older MPC kit and one thing that annoys me is the body sort of floats on the chassis.  Please excuse the Teddy Bear wheel covers but if painted correctly they are not that ugly.  It makes you wonder if the Japanese can get the body pretty spot on  50 years ago (Otaki kit) then surely by now the ALL NEW Revell tool should be pretty nice.  The yellow Otaki kit  represents my 72 Mach1 but since it’s a Japanese kit there is not engine at all and it’s probably closer to 1/23 scale.  I used a set of those Magnum 500’s everyone has extras of instead of the kit wheels but otherwise the build is stock and I noticed I need to redo the argent/silver 351 Ram Air Decal on the hood on one side.  Also, those Ram Air hood decals were either black or silver - never white.  The interior close up shows the non-stock steering wheel that’s on my real car but I have since added a rear spoiler that was not originally on my car so I need to add one to the model.  Since it is battery operated (for the lights) I need to get those batteries out of there asap as I see green corrosion growing in the interior.  For comparison I tossed some in pictures of  the Testors Boss/Mach 71-73 thing with the ultra high rear spoiler and that vented hood so that Boss 429??? Engine that came in the kit can breath.?

My apologies to the forum viewers Via their phones- I hope the pictures do not slow down you opening up the post to a crawl.

As always Cobraman keep building how you want and ask any questions you have.  I hope to build more starting in January when I officially retire from paid work.  I forgot to mention one thing about the decals.  The kit has the Mustang script on the front fenders which is correct.  However, you should remove them if the decal has the script in chrome on the decal itself.  Otherwise the decal will cover the molded in script.  If you do not have a Mustang script they can be found on many of Keith Marks 71-73 Mustang decal sets and there’s a seller on Ebay that makes a very nice and inexpensive set of Mustang scripts and emblems for many different Mustang years all on one sheet.

390750EB-48C2-4CB8-A88E-36E55C36D7BA.jpeg

CBA39E75-2A0C-4C5F-B038-46554FA961E8.jpeg

140305AB-3670-4231-B597-777065A8EE99.jpeg

5336A58B-D482-4D7A-A474-2438E3EDF1C4.jpeg

8D68A465-3C2E-4AC9-A822-713AF664B68A.jpeg

3D85356C-5133-40FF-A932-927518F182D4.jpeg

7E1E27F8-C56C-44B9-AC94-9F49549FF8D5.jpeg

A194FF86-3E08-430C-969D-8F818F8ACDF4.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

47 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I guess big is all relative as the Mustang of course got a lot smaller and by 2006 was the same size as the 1971-73’s.  Glad to see you are not using those weird kit decals.  What was someone at MPC thinking?  Fill in the hood vents and at least the build will actually resemble a 73 Mach1.  I built a Sportsroof (Brown color) just to see how the kit goes together from an older MPC kit and one thing that annoys me is the body sort of floats on the chassis.  Please excuse the Teddy Bear wheel covers but if painted correctly they are not that ugly.  It makes you wonder if the Japanese can get the body pretty spot on  50 years ago (Otaki kit) then surely by now the ALL NEW Revell tool should be pretty nice.  The yellow Otaki kit  represents my 72 Mach1 but since it’s a Japanese kit there is not engine at all and it’s probably closer to 1/23 scale.  I used a set of those Magnum 500’s everyone has extras of instead of the kit wheels but otherwise the build is stock and I noticed I need to redo the argent/silver 351 Ram Air Decal on the hood on one side.  Also, those Ram Air hood decals were either black or silver - never white.  The interior close up shows the non-stock steering wheel that’s on my real car but I have since added a rear spoiler that was not originally on my car so I need to add one to the model.  Since it is battery operated (for the lights) I need to get those batteries out of there asap as I see green corrosion growing in the interior.  For comparison I tossed some in pictures of  the Testors Boss/Mach 71-73 thing with the ultra high rear spoiler and that vented hood so that Boss 429??? Engine that came in the kit can breath.?

My apologies to the forum viewers Via their phones- I hope the pictures do not slow down you opening up the post to a crawl.

As always Cobraman keep building how you want and ask any questions you have.  I hope to build more starting in January when I officially retire from paid work.  I forgot to mention one thing about the decals.  The kit has the Mustang script on the front fenders which is correct.  However, you should remove them if the decal has the script in chrome on the decal itself.  Otherwise the decal will cover the molded in script.  If you do not have a Mustang script they can be found on many of Keith Marks 71-73 Mustang decal sets and there’s a seller on Ebay that makes a very nice and inexpensive set of Mustang scripts and emblems for many different Mustang years all on one sheet.

I admire your dedication to the Mustangs in kit form.   I bought the Warren Tope kit, but that things was just too awful to contemplate really.   Now I wonder if I should hang on to it and see what will cross over to make a reasonable replica. 

And don't apologize for the teddy bear wheels - I like them.  For some reason they are what I associate with this generation of Mustang.  I bought a 1/64 so I would have reasonable version of this car - be glad to see the new kit when it gets here.

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

390750EB-48C2-4CB8-A88E-36E55C36D7BA.jpeg

CBA39E75-2A0C-4C5F-B038-46554FA961E8.jpeg

140305AB-3670-4231-B597-777065A8EE99.jpeg

5336A58B-D482-4D7A-A474-2438E3EDF1C4.jpeg

8D68A465-3C2E-4AC9-A822-713AF664B68A.jpeg

3D85356C-5133-40FF-A932-927518F182D4.jpeg

7E1E27F8-C56C-44B9-AC94-9F49549FF8D5.jpeg

A194FF86-3E08-430C-969D-8F818F8ACDF4.jpeg

Well I wasn't planning on filling up the vents but NOW ........ I guess I have to. ?  Can't start till I finish the Lindberg kit I am building.

If anyone is a glutton for punishment to build one before the Revell kit comes out here is a build from the early 90’s by Geoff McDonnell.  It was in the Mustang Issue of Plastic Fanatic in 1993 and also appeared in a 1997 issue of Scale Modeler.  I will not rehash the SM eight pages describing every detail he modified or added but needless to say when someone says MPC made a 71 Boss already it’s like saying straight six Mustang Fastback become a GT350 because of some decals and a box art drawing.  So naturally this one has those hubcaps that seem to just not go away and I will  point out a few more things.  The honey comb panel and chrome trim should have been cut out from the taillights and the “aftermarket” lovers came in the kit probably because someone at MPC assumed Ford would offer them for the 71 (which they didn’t).  Of course the kit did not have the standard chrome bumper on the 71 Boss so the builder used the 71/72 Mach1 front bumper In the 71 annual “Mach1” kit.  It’s funny how many Real 71/72 Mach1’s I see with the chrome bumper which is because NOBODY makes a reproduction  the OEM “rubber” ones.  He used a NASCAR  T-bird engine but states the 70 Boss 302 contains a nice Cleveland engine.  That isn’t really true because the real Boss 302 only used the 4v Cleveland heads from the 70 Mach1.  By 1970 the 351 Windsor was being phased out and there wasn’t a Boss version of that engine.  Geoff did a heck of a lot of scratch building under the hood and I commend him on getting all those details added.  One glaring omission in the AMT and MPC kit is the lack of the shock tower braces that connect to the firewall.  It just looks goofy without any so he either got them from another kit os scratch built them like he did to replicate the Ram-Air plenum.  He mentions using the 70 Boss 429 air cleaner housing which is pretty close to the 71 Boss assembly that fits flush with the round opening in the plenum that is bolted to the hood.  Seeing as how this build was almost 30 years ago I would say he did very well given what he had to work with and his building skills are very good.  Does anyone one if he is still around - I think he is from Canada but that’s just a guess.  He did not mention how long this build took but I am thinking at least 40-60 hours and perhaps and double that counting all the research and writing the article and photo session.

6DCDA703-56C0-4DCA-AAA7-6E0956C5796D.jpeg

079F553A-F367-4894-A6C0-3B2A02CC606B.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

43 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

NAAH. '67 is exactly what it should be.

(three guesses why I'd say so and don't look too close)

Agree to disagree. I happen to like vertical seat pleats, single piston calipers, and the 302-4V Premium fuel engine.

22 hours ago, RichCostello said:

That's what I was thinking! They are just starting the 3-D scanning process, and they're already whining about Revell putting the wrong wheels in a new kit.  I have a huge box of almost every kind of wheel you can imagine, plus another hundred kits with extra wheels in them, so as far as i care, they don't have to put any wheels in it at all. JUST MAKE IT!

AMEN, brother! I am currently building Testors very incorrect 71 Boss 351 but as a (not as incorrect) 73 Boss 351.

Edited by Bills72sj
Additions

Would love to see a video or something on the entire process of creating a kit. From choosing the subject matter, to scanning, to molds, packaging, everything. All the behind the scenes stuff, including meetings.

Since this project has been announced by Revell so early in the process, this would be a great opportunity for Revell to post the entire process on Facebook to educate model builders about everything it takes to bring a kit from concept-to-finished production!

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

AMEN, brother! I am currently building Testors very incorrect 71 Boss 351 but as a (not as incorrect) 73 Boss 351.

Well there’s one thing - you can finish this one and compare it two the Revell one which at this point no one has mentioned a possible release date - maybe for the Boss 351 anniversary in 2021?  I would have no problem with a Revell version in “diecast” like the 70 Torino or 67GT500 as long as it is correct.

Edited by vamach1

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Since this project has been announced by Revell so early in the process, this would be a great opportunity for Revell to post the entire process on Facebook to educate model builders about everything it takes to bring a kit from concept-to-finished production!

That would be awesome.  Insert Matt Foley Motivational Speaker picture here.

I am buy no means an engineer or know much about 3D printing but I would assume a car that was disassembled would be a great resource to scan some individual parts versus trying to make a model from a restored car that is intact,  Somehow Danbury Mint seemed to get the Boss and Mach1 Diecast in 1/24 that were right on the money so it can be done - I just do not know they did it from “scratch” about 15 years ago since no other company had ever made a respectable and accurate 71-73 Mustang Diecast ever.

777C60DE-40F1-436A-972F-4FED624E6C24.png

57EFA813-695A-406E-8384-0AFFF9C985D3.jpeg

1E97F8F8-FE54-4762-8BD2-0AEEA9BC69F6.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Its actually quite interesting to see how perfectly polarized the excitement here is. One half, me included, over the moon. The other disappointed that it's yet another Mustang or from the wrong generation.

Nothing wrong with it of course, interests don't have to line up, just noticing the exact split.

Edited by echoxrayniner

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Looking forward to this !  No one's done a proper '71 - '73 Mustang ! The BOSS 351 was Ford's last high-compression engine --- 11:1 was daring for 1971 . 

Hopefully this'll create offsprings : 1971 convertible with a 429 ; Sportroof 429 ; drag racing versions... 

Agree 1000% but one wish at at time. ?‍♂️

It still amazes me that people will pay over $100 for an old AMT 65 SHelby kit that had a one piece chassis with single exhaust and an engine that is no different (no tri-y headers) than was thrown in every Ford kit for the next seven years but people will scream because is trying to offer a modern tool of kit that the molds even predate the 71 Mustang yet they are mad because they do not do a new mold of something that’s not been done before.  Just maybe there is reason for that.  I assume Revell has done some research and will ignore all the whiners.  I could care less if they come out with another Camaro or whatever but I’m not ever going to complain about their choices of what new kits they make.

Edited by vamach1

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date