Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘68 Charger

NOBLNG

On 9/26/2020 at 11:58 PM, Misha said:

Great solutions Greg, thanks for sharing them! The marker lights are a huge improvement and your colour choice is a real eye catcher. Would you describe your paint treatment for the vinyl top for us?

Cheers Misha

Thanks! So far this is just black laquer with a coat of Testors 1261 gloss clear laquer on top. Once the foil (done now in these pics) and the decals are on, I will coat the whole thing with more clear to seal everything. Then when dry I will mask it and spray Tamiya XF-86 flat clear on the roof section. I am certainly no expert on vinyl roofs, or anything else for that matter, but it looked OK on my ‘Cuda so I hope it works as well this time around.

E0D3BDCC-5B4F-4E3A-B6E3-D9CAB38F1C2A.jpeg

22A2992F-772D-4CE8-9148-18A5AF5B352C.jpeg

4EC58A78-6002-4615-880C-466B0CFF4A7C.jpeg

87A43B98-1DD8-4B70-96AD-C6781C989F68.jpeg

48660DC4-3E22-4AB7-B030-43F0F1D1462A.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

I sprayed the roof today with one coat of XF-86 flat clear. The only thing left now I believe is the wheels, wipers and door handles, once the roof is good and dry. I didn’t quite get the left rear marker in the center of the decal stripe.  I did measure and made a tape pattern of the decal. Doh! It just occurred to me as I’m typing this that I could have applied one of the spare decals, drilled the holes and then removed the decal.? 

5B8FBA16-E077-4ADC-92C1-E773C9ED185C.jpeg

116FB0FD-039F-4E2B-BA99-6148D3BCE436.jpeg

8394605E-8C2E-4ACA-8647-61ED8D28CE6B.jpeg

CA673985-8267-4A3B-8C03-A4B233CE6724.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

On 9/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Very nice idea, and very good execution.

I'm considering something similar for my current '68 Coronet project.

I'll probably steal this! :D

If I may, just be certain that your lens doesn't fit to tight so as to allow for the thickness of the paint.

You really don't want to have to re-drill the holes in the body after all of the paint work is finished. :P

Steve

What I did when I wanted to make round marker lights for the AMT 68 Roadrunner kit; I used light duty aluminum foil, placed a piece over the marker light on my MPC 68 Coronet.  Pressed it down to make the impression of the marker light.  Filled the backside with a mixture of superglue and baking soda.  Now you made a casting of the marker light.  The foil sticks to it so all you have to do is just trim off the excess on the sides and your done.

4 hours ago, GMP440 said:

What I did when I wanted to make round marker lights for the AMT 68 Roadrunner kit; I used light duty aluminum foil, placed a piece over the marker light on my MPC 68 Coronet.  Pressed it down to make the impression of the marker light.  Filled the backside with a mixture of superglue and baking soda.  Now you made a casting of the marker light.  The foil sticks to it so all you have to do is just trim off the excess on the sides and your done.

I have heard of that method of casting details and understand that it works pretty well. This Charger though had only decals, and nothing cast into the body.

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

I have heard of that method of casting details and understand that it works pretty well. This Charger though had only decals, and nothing cast into the body.

I know the kit well.  I first got this kit in the early 2000's when it was released as a Dick Landy car. That first issue had the body with no marker lights molded in and those side marker decals. All following issues ; the bodies had no marker lights molded in.  But, there was also something else in the kit , on the chrome tree.  There are two chrome plated disk shaped objects on the chrome tree that look like marker lights.  They are very small and hard to notice.  If you were to look closely at the chrome trees you will find them.  The instructions make no reference to these.

10 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

What paint did you use on the motor? Looks really good!

Tamiya TS-41 Coral Blue with just a touch of white added and sprayed through my airbrush. The body is TS-16.

Edited by NOBLNG