Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT surfer Van

Mr mopar

Looks like the newly tooled Surfboards from the recent ' 65 Chevelle wagon, and possibly the "optional" 5 spoke mags that have appeared in about a dozen kits. Add in a new decal sheet, and you have an "All New" (cough, cough) kit.

Here is a review of the first version from 2012, that shows what "might" be in this kit.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/amt/kit_amt_0767.shtml

I’d buy that over any coke car that’s been put out . Now if only Round 2 can get Coke and Levi’s together to make the DenimMachine that would be something . I’ve only seen one in person , and even seen two Levi’s Edition AMC Gremlins ( that’s another one to kit ) . Or the Firestone SuperStones Van ! 

C70C1802-3B33-444A-95C5-417D790E13FB.jpeg

58B7A67B-DA4F-48A1-AFDB-5597ADF3ECC5.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

They need to bring back the MPC Van. It has an interior and opening side door

Seriously ! When was the last time that the MPC Econoline was issued ? Especially since it includes the steelies / hubcaps as the stock items . 

I have the 'Sunshine Superman' (or whatever it's called ) annual from c.1978 .

While I really do love the AMT Vans, the MPC ones where way ahead in the detail department. Full interiors and more outside accessories, plus the 4X4 version of the Ford van where awesome. 

In my opinion, the MPC Vans where #1, then AMT Vans and then dead last, Revell Vans. Monogram are honorable mention because of them being 1/24 and decently shaped. 

• 2 months later...

Here's the box art for the AMT-1229 1977 Ford Econoline "Surfer Van", with what appear to be the newly tooled surfboards and rack from the 2019 reissue of the AMT '65 Chevelle wagon "Surf Wagon":

AMT1229M-12-1977-Ford-Surfer-Van-Packaging.jpg.631ca513f625e9e4402ca0774b926033.jpg

SURF’S UP: AMT’s 1/25 scale 1977 Ford Surfer Van kit is a great project for any experienced modeler who likes surf, tikis, and 70s custom vans. Add it to your collection today!

FEATURE PACKED: The 1977 Ford Surfer Van kit features details like 2 newly-tooled surfboards & roof rack, side pipes, fender flares, wide pre-lettered vinyl tires, 5-spoke mags, and 3 custom porthole options. The kit also includes a LARGE decal sheet with plenty of surf options and eye-catching packaging.

Edited by Casey

4 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

As much as I like the subject matter and the decals are GREAT! I just wish they would've dusted off the MPC version and put this theme on that one.

The MPC van includes a full interior that just lends itself to this motif.

I , too , would love to see the MPC version of the Econoline reissued . Aside from the full-interior you've noted , the MPC kit also has steel wheels / hubcaps vs. the (excellent) AMT van's deluxe wheel covers . 

There's definitely room for both kits on the shelf .

9 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Does it make sense to buy a whole kit for a long board and decal sheet? 
Maybe. 

You still got a leftover van to build! Would make a nice common-kit subject for a community build; maybe a Cannonball Run vans-only thing, Vannonball, baby!