Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone deal with Motor City Resin Casters?

Sounds like this guy has allowed himself to become over stretched capacity wise. Too many cottage industry resin casters are enthusiasts rather than business people and find themselves taking on more than they can handle along with work and family commitments if not fully professional.

Far better to say he will not be taking any further orders until the backlog is fulfilled. That makes better business sense than continuously frustrating customers and further damaging his reputation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So yes this thread is a lot of complaining (and rightfully so) but when Jeff visited the site 4 hours ago, wouldn't it have made sense to respond?

I mean, if my reputation and ethics were being questioned, I'm pretty sure I would be on the defense and would try to allay the concerns of customers who have placed orders and potential future customers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

So yes this thread is a lot of complaining (and rightfully so) but when Jeff visited the site 4 hours ago, wouldn't it have made sense to respond?

I mean, if my reputation and ethics were being questioned, I'm pretty sure I would be on the defense and would try to allay the concerns of customers who have placed orders and potential future customers. 

Either it does not bother him (He does not Care),or He does not Know what is being said.

• Like 1

Thread is 2y old

*Jeff B posted in it in 2020. Put me off buys then. He’s got great stuff, but useless when you have nothing, he or whichever caster, there’s more than one, has your money. 🤔🤬

Edited by keyser
Added Jeff aware of thread.

It seems to me he doesn't know what to say about this problem. I think the biggest problem with resin people is they take orders beyond what they can produce.  I would rather they close the shop to orders for a few months than have happen what has happened here.  Not the first time a caster has ran into this problem. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

It seems to me he doesn't know what to say about this problem. I think the biggest problem with resin people is they take orders beyond what they can produce.  I would rather they close the shop to orders for a few months than have happen what has happened here.  Not the first time a caster has ran into this problem. 

Not all the casters think alike nor do they all have the same issues. Some are better managers than others, some are overwhelmed with multiple problems- health, work, life- and as such have to figure out which is the first one to deal with.

I wish Jeff well and hope he can get things right, he has some great products and I am sure he wishes that his situation was better.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Not all the casters think alike nor do they all have the same issues. Some are better managers than others, some are overwhelmed with multiple problems- health, work, life- and as such have to figure out which is the first one to deal with.

I wish Jeff well and hope he can get things right, he has some great products and I am sure he wishes that his situation was better.

Adults answer e-mail inquiries promptly, return funds if they can't deliver product, and realize "wishing" solves absolutely nothing.

I tend to give any man a break if he's having problems and COMMUNICATES.

But no communication, to hell with him.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

After reading through the replies to the original post,it seems to me,there are people with some sort of disposable income they don't mind losing.The original post was two years ago.As people read through the responses,they still feel compelled to send away their hard earned money thinking their buying experience will be different.Sorry,folks it won't be,you will be added to the list of victims.Why people haven't taken the option of submitting a fraud claim with the Post Office is a mystery to me. 

• Thanks 1

Motor City Resin Casters, promptly answered all my questions prior to ordering. Three months later, they no longer responded to my emails.

I notified my credit card company, and they issued a refund after looking into the issue I was having with Motor City Resin Casters.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:35 PM, triplelindy said:

Ju Ju, you should offer too help him catch up on his stuff. Since it doesn't seem too bother you that he is STEALING for people. Hey maybe he will give you a cut of his  ill gained profits. 

why would I want to do that ? 

by your reasoning , if I helped him get his orders caught up, They would no longer be 'Ill Gained Profits"  would they ?

I never said I condone this type of business practice (did I ? )

my point is that Jeff B. is one of the better resin casters , other wise you guys wouldn't be ordering from him.

As I understand , the man is having health issues and not able to work. There is a lot more to resin casting than mixing part A and part B. The good ones make it look easy .

Maybe give the guy a chance to explain his position before he is labeled as a thief . If you send him nasty e mails and slander his name in public , I am sure you are not going to get a cheery response .

Through out this thread I have read that Jeff is a great resin caster and that he has nice products ( that is why you want to buy his products ) I have bought from him in the past and am very happy with his items ,

what changed ?

It has been made public that he is having health problems and not able to do his work , 

So lets kick a guy while he is down , even better lets all pile on and kick him while he is down and make it a fair fight.

To most around here building model cars and trucks is a hobby (disposable income ) , for the people that do the resin casting it is their job . 

I dont know Jeff B. personally but I can not imagine that he spent years perfecting his craft and building a recognized business just to fulfill his evil business plan to 'steal' from his customers like it has been made appear .

one of two things happened here,

either Jeff is a good guy that does nice resin casting and fell on hard times

OR 

this was his business plan all along, build a reputable business for years just to rip off a couple people at the end ? 

I dont think this is the way Jeff wanted things to go .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, keyser said:

If you have health problems, STOP TAKING ORDERS. 
Refund unfilled orders. Simple.
Painful, but necessary. 

I fully agree. He took my order, corresponded with me prior to my placing the order, than would not even respond to my emails, after he had my money.

The whole reason I ordered a '73 El Camino from him was because I saw at least 3 people on this board display their builds and had an idea of one I would like to do. At the time, people seemed to be raving about Motor City resin, so I jumped in.

I emailed Jeff numerous times. Telling him to at least stop taking orders. Thats just IGNORANT! Plain and simple.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I noticed this thread and that it hasn’t been updated since 2021. I just placed an order with Jeff for two kits. His products look excellent as his Website looks legitimate. I was concerned about a couple of things, first: No mailing address listed, second No phone number. Third and must concerning was that there is no Shipping information as to approximate turn around time for orders. I felt with Model Haus for years and Don always stated in clear wording “ Allow 6-8 weeks for orders” he would return phone calls and later replied to email in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, after reading all these comments I am not getting a good impression about Motor City. I have sent two messages asking for an approximate shipping date and have received no response. So what I will do, now that my credit card has been charged is that I am going to wait 90 days. By Federal law a mail order business must either complete the transaction, contact the buyer as to when the item will be shipped or issue a refund.

if I hear nothing, I will file a claim with my credit card company.

hope I don’t have to!

On 7/16/2023 at 11:25 AM, EricT said:

...I am not getting a good impression about Motor City...have received no response...now that my credit card has been charged is that I am going to wait 90 days...if I hear nothing, I will file a claim with my credit card company.

Don't wait. Be proactive. Call your bank today. 

(Bank of America has a "Client Protection" department that is very responsive)