Model Cars Magazine Forum

San Francisco Cable Car 1/24

First, thank you very much for the positive feedback - that motivates me to do even better when building # 9. 

You can see the progress on Youtube. I'm happy about every subscription.

About the Occre kit:

It's basically a nice and recommendable kit. With a little skill you can build a nice cable car.

What bothered me:

• The front is not done correctly and distorts the typical appearance.
  • The sides under the windows are actually curved and not straight.
  • The pillars and other details are simplified.
  • The trucks unfortunately went wrong.
  • I also wanted real sliding doors so I had to build the cabin myself.

The cabin and the front are made of plywood. The trucks made of brass. Some details are also made of polystyrene.

Best regards

Manfred

Edited by hitchhiker

Manfred, thanks for your feedback, and I will certainly look at your YouTube videos. My daughter visited San Francisco some time ago and I would like to build this model as a surprise for her as she has said to me in the past that she would like one of my models.

Do you have any scale drawings that you used to correct any mistakes on the kit? Some of the things you mentioned look as though they would not be too difficult to sort out. I looked on the web to see if there were any scale plans available for San Francisco Cable cars but found none.

Kind regards Noel

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Thank you for coming back again Manfred. I had a look at your YouTube videos, and see that you are building a different style of Cable Car to the Occre one based on No20. What I found very interesting was that you are scratch building No9 that has the enclosed indoor area at one end whereas the Occre No20 has it in the middle.

It looks like you had the floor and some other parts laser cut from a CAD file and sourced many other parts and raw materials from various suppliers. Besides the 2D plan drawings you are working to I saw the Bill of materials that you prepared for the job.

I am a retired engineer, and looking at your plans, material lists, 3D CAD drawings in your You Tube videos suggests to me that you are also an engineer. I see that you use Proxxon machines that I know are very good. I only have their adjustable swivel vice that I find very useful. My other workshop machines are Emco mainly.

You kindly offered to send me extra info off your hard drive by email, so thank you very much for that and I will PM you with my email address. Many thanks and kind regards.  Noel

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...