Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2021 releases

GeeBee

A Lamborghini tractor would be great to see.  I see that Heller has a new tractor coming also---a Landini 1600T.  Not familiar w/ Landini, but it is very similar to their Massey-Ferguson kit.

https://www.heller.fr/en/81403-landini-16000-dt-1000814030?tags=vehicle

Speaking of Heller, I know they are now German-owned..anyone know if they have any relationship/agreement w/ Revell?  I noticed a couple of Heller kits listed on the Revell website recently..

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

A Lamborghini tractor would be great to see.  I see that Heller has a new tractor coming also---a Landini 1600T.  Not familiar w/ Landini, but it is very similar to their Massey-Ferguson kit.

https://www.heller.fr/en/81403-landini-16000-dt-1000814030?tags=vehicle

Speaking of Heller, I know they are now German-owned..anyone know if they have any relationship/agreement w/ Revell?  I noticed a couple of Heller kits listed on the Revell website recently..

The Landini tractor is just a badge engineered Ferguson, so the kit is a lightly modified version of their Ferguson 2680 kit from the 80's. I'm not sure if there are any actual new parts, or they just have you not put the front weight system on and drew up some decals. 

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

So this prototype "box art" popped up in Japan for the VW T1 Micro Bus.  I would presume this is basically the Camper Van just sans...camper stuff.  New parts being a conventional seating arrangement for this variant?

10746650b.jpg.e878da9173a63bd128452f45434f6542.jpg

That's the VW T1 Kombi kit coming in 2021 from Revell Germany, and yes, it's pretty much the Camper version with interior changed and a non Camper roof panel. 

Most T1 Campers started life as a Kombi.

Edited by GeeBee

1 hour ago, dbostream said:

I have to admit I have lost track of all VW van kits. Have not all versions been done yet feels like we have 100 kits by now?

That Kombi hadn't been done before, at least in 1/24 or 1/25 scale.  The kit manufacturers always went for the 21 or 23 window version.  Revell Germany did that Lufthansa shuttle version a few years back; the 1:1 shuttles were Kombis yet they used the 23 window because that's what they had.  I've got one of each version already offered, but will snag one or two of these also, and would pick up any other versions they choose to do.

19 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

And yet I do not see any Big rig stuff or tricks or choppers ???

This is apparently the German listing.  They're more focused on "worldwide" subject matter, I would look to Atlantis for choppers and the like.  Revell probably didn't keep much of that stuff.

6 hours ago, dbostream said:

I have to admit I have lost track of all VW van kits. Have not all versions been done yet feels like we have 100 kits by now?

They've only made the Samba/23 Window and a Panel van.  Then reissued both what seems like 19 times each with different decals.

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

They've only made the Samba/23 Window and a Panel van.  Then reissued both what seems like 19 times each with different decals.

Not forgetting the T1 Westfalia camper that was recently released, this is the one there basing the Kombi kit on.

FB_IMG_1608415961805.jpg

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Not forgetting the T1 Westfalia camper that was recently released, this is the one there basing the Kombi kit on.

FB_IMG_1608415961805.jpg

My answer was based on the nature of the question given that the Camper is barely released, and that the Kombi and Camper are the same base with different innards.

Also the Camper seems to have evaporated if you didn't get one in Europe the instant they were released. We haven't gotten them yet in the U.S., and neither has the rest of the world for that matter.

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Also the Camper seems to have evaporated if you didn't get one in Europe the instant they were released. We haven't gotten them yet in the U.S., and neither has the rest of the world for that matter.

Your correct in saying that the Camper seems to have disappeared, I bought one when they were first released, and last week I was asked if I could build one for a commission build, it took me ages on the Internet to track one down, even Revell in Germany have no stock. 

The Kombi should be available towards the end of April '21

It's strange that the van, and the Samba are still very easy to find out there.

Edited by GeeBee

Wow! I can't believe the camper is gone already. I was looking forward to that one. But I was waiting for it to make it to this side of the ocean. Hopefully there is only some type of glitch and some more show up soon. Revell and others could take a page from Aoshima and continue to do spot runs of really popular selling kits to keep them in the supply chain until demand really dies down.

4 hours ago, peter31a said:

Wow! I can't believe the camper is gone already. I was looking forward to that one. But I was waiting for it to make it to this side of the ocean. Hopefully there is only some type of glitch and some more show up soon. Revell and others could take a page from Aoshima and continue to do spot runs of really popular selling kits to keep them in the supply chain until demand really dies down.

I'm sure they'll make more, and the North American supply is probably on a boat and/or dock somewhere. I wonder how busy the place in Poland that makes the kits is on a day to day basis. I think the last time a kit genuinely sold out very quickly (apart from the Model A damage story) was the new tool Hemi Cuda. In that case there wasn't a restock until a few months later when that tooling was run again to make the drag racing version.

I expect it sold out very quick due to christmas, i was lucky to get the 2 i have but i had them pre ordered as soon as it was announced (and got discount because of it being pre ordered). I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure another run will be in the works before the next version is released

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I think the last time a kit genuinely sold out very quickly (apart from the Model A damage story) was the new tool Hemi Cuda. In that case there wasn't a restock until a few months later when that tooling was run again to make the drag racing version.

James....I hadn't heard that about the hemi 'cuda kit, though I am certainly happy to hear that might have been the case as I (and others) had pushed very hard for that kit with the Revell team for years and years prior. 

Curious to know, if you don't mind sharing, was your info source from inside Revell, or from your industry wholesale/retail contacts, or ?   

In any case, thanks for sharing that with us....TIM 

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

James....I hadn't heard that about the hemi 'cuda kit, though I am certainly happy to hear that might have been the case as I (and others) had pushed very hard for that kit with the Revell team for years and years prior. 

Curious to know, if you don't mind sharing, was your info source from inside Revell, or from your industry wholesale/retail contacts, or ?   

In any case, thanks for sharing that with us....TIM 

I heard directly from the distribution end of things, but I also recall someone with Revell contacts posted it here as well - that was back in 2013.  I believe it might have gotten drown out at the time because the other major new tool kit that year was the '92 Mustang...and well that almost burnt this place to the ground ?.  Plus all the ruckus the Cuda itself caused with whether or not the fenders flares are too wide and blah_blah_blah...

I was told the kit had completely sold out from Hobbico's stocks and because of how many things they were running back then - all the Foose modified kits, the '62 Vette Gasser, and so forth - they couldn't get more molding time at the contractor until the Sox & Martin kit was set to run in the 1Q of 2014, which is what happened.  There was a two month period or so when the only Hemi Cuda kits available were ones that existed "in the wild' (aka unsold stock at retailers) until March of 2014 when the Drag kit was released, along with a restock of the Hemi kit.

The hobby is going to watch something similar to this unfold in Early 2021 after this weekend's fire at the Eduard storage warehouse.  Eduard for the uninitiated is a Czech based model & accessories company that does a variety of things including their own line of model kits in the IMPS - primarily airplane - realm.  Lost to a huge fire were 200,000 sprues in storage awaiting packaging into kits, along with the next 3 months worth of boxes.  No employees were hurt, it seems the area where final products were kept, along with kit "accessories" (P/E, decals, instructions, etc) manage to survive without any damage whatsoever.  But Eduard is now faced with trying to find time to run their planned 2021 kits, while also going back and manufacturing (at a separate facility in another town) back those 200k sprues at the same time.  The reality being some of those kits may not be able to be reissued until the next planned modified tooling is scheduled - with an over run being done to resupply the destroyed production.

5 hours ago, Ron Warner said:

Wow! It's so cool to have insiders to inform us "regular guys." Can't beat this board for fast expert answers, can you Tim? Thanks Nightowl!

Tim is way more inside than I could ever be, at least here with the U.S. folks.  I have a few friends in places on the sales ends, but Tim is actually working with those folks.  My moles are all planted overseas as my interests tend to lie with that subject matter, especially with the high popularity of the "vintage" race car subjects from 1970s-1990s right now that I also share.

Round2 just had a similar sales sell out with the MPC '72 Vega, that initial run of kits flat out evaporated at a rate that my LHS actually put a per customer limit on how many you could try to smuggle out of the building.  The production re-stock of that just finally arrived this month.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Tim is way more inside than I could ever be, at least here with the U.S. folks.  I have a few friends in places on the sales ends, but Tim is actually working with those folks.  My moles are all planted overseas as my interests tend to lie with that subject matter, especially with the high popularity of the "vintage" race car subjects from 1970s-1990s right now that I also share.

Round2 just had a similar sales sell out with the MPC '72 Vega, that initial run of kits flat out evaporated at a rate that my LHS actually put a per customer limit on how many you could try to smuggle out of the building.  The production re-stock of that just finally arrived this month.

James....you are giving me way too much credit here, but thanks anyway. 

I tend to trust information the most when it is "triangulated" from people who draw info from multiple and differing sources.  

We are all very fortunate on this Board that we have people like James and Dave Van (among many others not specifically mentioned here) who can bring info to light that helps us all better understand the business side of the model car hobby.  

As a Marketer through much of my career, I have always been fascinated with the inner workings of the model car companies from that perspective, as well as my interests as a model car builder and kit collector.  Even to this day, I am fascinated with some of the untold stories that are coming out now from those who were there back in the day, some of which I have recently become aware of in doing the former industry executive interviews for my two most recent books.  And I am very sure there are more fascinating stories yet to come. 

Finally, thanks James for the info on the 'cuda kit sales.  Very good to hear, particularly given the sources you cited. 

Best all...TIM