Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scotto & Blevins 55 Nomad

dragcarz

Ok, so I’ve been stuck on the headers, for way too long, I’ve  tried all the suggestions listed above, tried making my own a couple of times with solder, and I’m done, I’m moving on. I used the kit headers and I’m calling it close enough. I’m calling the chassis done, I added a helmet to the interior. I scratch built the master cylinder. Getting closer to my first complete build this year.

BAF8EDBA-90BC-49B5-B244-8BE977AB54E1.jpeg

BCB7188D-1787-4FCE-9D3E-E526472A03AC.jpeg

26821CE6-433C-4B2E-A533-14B31A42C80F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My  first finished project this year. It took so much longer than I thought it would. The headers gave me fits, the kits left header refuses to stayed glued to the motor, and the rear bumper falls off if you just look at it.

I ran outside and photographed it while everything was hanging on still.
As is becoming my trademark no fuel lines , though I have carburetor linkage and spark plug wires.

I haven’t built this kit in over 50 years, and I found a couple of issues I had to work around but nothing major. 
I seemed to have lost a little of my skills since COVID. But I’m still getting better. Hope you like it!

8D033CAA-F46C-466C-AC08-8157CBAA717F.jpeg

4D1A2467-96C6-4B09-9B35-C89DE8467D11.jpeg

BFB17DE1-5846-4648-8E61-BDA6FC1CB214.jpeg

087FA438-649E-4866-8BF9-F053612AA81B.jpeg

C0F607FC-31CE-4F04-B594-CDBF660A52FF.jpeg

EB99657E-9E57-48CE-881A-752AFBB46011.jpeg

5B7DDCC6-D091-486C-B375-EBEEC0CD6F98.jpeg

348D6BDD-86DE-4098-BC23-9BAE4300D16D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following your build and really like how it has turned out. Just a thought if you aren't now doing this, you mention the problems with the headers and even the rear bumper. Try "pinning" the mounts for the headers and any other part that doesn't want to hold together. I will use cut up staples. Drill a small hole in the parts to be joined the size of the pin. Glue the pin in one part and then glue the other part to it. The pin gives the joint more contact area for the glue an will reinforce the mounting. 

LOST SOME OF YOUR SKILLS, HUH.....THATS A GOOD ONE, ROGER, THIS BUILD IS A TOUGH PROJECT RIGHT OFF THE HOP WITH , AS YOU FOUND OUT, TONS OF MAJOR WORK TO MOVE IT ALONG....TO SEE A NICE EXAMPLE BUILT IS THE TREAT OF MY SUNDAY, AS I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THIS CAR ALONG WITH MOST M/P CARS OF THE ERA....ACTUALLY SAW THIS CAR AT DRAGWAY PARK, CAYUGA, OUR LOCAL STRIP A COUPLE OF TIMES...YOU CAN HEAR THAT SBC BUZZ TO INSANE RPM JUST BEFORE PAUL BLEVINS DROPS THE HAMMER.....LOVE IT....LOST YOUR SKILLS....THROW SOME OF THOSE LOST SKILLS MY WAY, I HAVEN'T GLUED 2 PARTS TOGETHER IN 5 YEARS......CONGRATS, ITS A KILLER.....BEST, ACE...😅

5 hours ago, espo said:

I've been following your build and really like how it has turned out. Just a thought if you aren't now doing this, you mention the problems with the headers and even the rear bumper. Try "pinning" the mounts for the headers and any other part that doesn't want to hold together. I will use cut up staples. Drill a small hole in the parts to be joined the size of the pin. Glue the pin in one part and then glue the other part to it. The pin gives the joint more contact area for the glue an will reinforce the mounting. 

5 hours ago, AC Norton said:

LOST SOME OF YOUR SKILLS, HUH.....THATS A GOOD ONE, ROGER, THIS BUILD IS A TOUGH PROJECT RIGHT OFF THE HOP WITH , AS YOU FOUND OUT, TONS OF MAJOR WORK TO MOVE IT ALONG....TO SEE A NICE EXAMPLE BUILT IS THE TREAT OF MY SUNDAY, AS I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THIS CAR ALONG WITH MOST M/P CARS OF THE ERA....ACTUALLY SAW THIS CAR AT DRAGWAY PARK, CAYUGA, OUR LOCAL STRIP A COUPLE OF TIMES...YOU CAN HEAR THAT SBC BUZZ TO INSANE RPM JUST BEFORE PAUL BLEVINS DROPS THE HAMMER.....LOVE IT....LOST YOUR SKILLS....THROW SOME OF THOSE LOST SKILLS MY WAY, I HAVEN'T GLUED 2 PARTS TOGETHER IN 5 YEARS......CONGRATS, ITS A KILLER.....BEST, ACE...😅

Thanks Ace, my chrome trim isn’t as sharp as it could be some of my paint details are shaky. I really appreciate those old Modified cars myself, I miss how drag racing used to be. 

ALL OF US FROM THAT ERA DO.... YOU WILL NEVER SEE DRAG RACING LIKE IT AGAIN, IT WAS A GOLDEN TIME AND WE WERE LUCKY TO BE PART OF IT....THANKS FOR THE EMAIL, AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, IT HAS BEEN A TERRIBLE 16 MONTHS FOR SO MANY PEOPLE.....TALK SOON, ACE...

• 1 month later...

Hi this is a fantastic build I am pretty sure you are using my decals on this I also have the Scotto & Blivens 65 Corvette. Oh I am the owner of SMP Decals. Anyway what I wanted to ask you is if I can use these pics in the Models Gallery section on my website I will need your full name as you want it to appear and only if these are my decals which I think they are. Also any other models you may have with my decals... the show case can hold as many pics as I want. So Let me know also here is a link to my website If you want to go look around that is SMPDECALS.com