Model Cars Magazine Forum

you do know there was 2 different cars right ?? the early car Georgia episodes was a 73 RR then later the 71 Satellite that you posted, easy to tell the difference on the show the 71 always has the chrome wagon wheels and the RR had the Magnum 500 wheels

if building the Ga car I'd probably start with the 74 kit but I'm not 100 % sure if the grille and taillights are identical between 73-74

if building the 71 the Revell GTX would be the place to start with a Harts Parts Satellite hood, not sure about the stripes I've never seen them and then its 24th scale if that bothers you

daisy02.jpg.fd2eff539b32efd71b67c766f063436c.jpgs-l1600gggg.jpg.fdfa0c1612689332480f2abfd126b47c.jpg

Revelle-1971-Satellite-Hood.jpg.c0ea6dc02f5d999e14a7fe115a4e8782.jpg

Edited by 440 Dakota

11 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

you do know there was 2 different cars right ?? the early car Georgia episodes was a 73 RR then later the 71 Satellite that you posted, easy to tell the difference on the show the 71 always has the chrome wagon wheels and the RR had the Magnum 500 wheels

if building the Ga car I'd probably start with the 74 kit but I'm not 100 % sure if the grille and taillights are identical between 73-74

if building the 71 the Revell GTX would be the place to start with a Harts Parts Satellite hood, not sure about the stripes I've never seen them and then its 24th scale if that bothers you

Yep, I know, I definitely am not interested in the earlier one they used; the later one was used in far more episodes, and just looked sleeker, meaner, much more attractive to me.  When I think of "Daisy's car," I think that one.  

So, the Revell GTX?  And the hood, had no idea, huge thanks for that tip! Gotta learn where to find one now....

2 hours ago, slusher said:

What’s the difference between a73 and 74 Roadrunner?  I am curious....

5 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Same here!!

A friend of mine had a beautiful 73. I am pretty sure that the 73 and 74 were the same and that the MPC kit would represent Daisy’s first car, filmed in Georgia. Parts listings that I have seen seem to list 73-74 grilles and 73-74 tail lights together. However I’m not a Mopar expert, but there are several on this forum, so maybe one will chime in. 

One other difference is that the 340 engine was optional in 1973 (the 318 engine was standard in the Road Runner in 1973 and 1974), but that was replaced by the 360 engine in 1974, as the 340 was discontinued.

There might have been numerous other details and options (including available colors) that differed between 1973 and 1974 Road Runners, but for the most part, sheet metal, body adornment (except for those rear bumper guards) and basic configuration were the same in those two years.  

Personally, I see Daisy's car as a '73-'74. I will eventually build one like that (a '74 in yellow with black stripes, Magnum 500 wheels, maybe a 400 engine?).

The '71's they used in the series were cool, but look a little weird to me, as they weren't really stock. It would make sense that the character had something more or less off-the-shelf, but sporty.

2 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The '71's they used in the series were cool, but look a little weird to me, as they weren't really stock. It would make sense that the character had something more or less off-the-shelf, but sporty.

I totally understand what you're saying, and I think you're right for what the character would have had.  Speaking for myself, I much prefer the sleeker lines of the 71s...I think it's the meanness of the grill area.

So, I'm getting the Revell 71 GTX and the Harts Parts Satellite hood....so what officially do I call the final thing? A 71 Satellite, a 71 GTX or a 71 Roadrunner?  No use Googling it, you get conflicting answers, with most claiming a 72 RR....

Edited by Andrew D the Jolly Roger

23 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

A friend of mine had a beautiful 73. I am pretty sure that the 73 and 74 were the same and that the MPC kit would represent Daisy’s first car, filmed in Georgia. Parts listings that I have seen seem to list 73-74 grilles and 73-74 tail lights together. However I’m not a Mopar expert, but there are several on this forum, so maybe one will chime in. 

Thank ya Brian!!

1 hour ago, Andrew D the Jolly Roger said:

I totally understand what you're saying, and I think you're right for what the character would have had.  Speaking for myself, I much prefer the sleeker lines of the 71s...I think it's the meanness of the grill area.

So, I'm getting the Revell 71 GTX and the Harts Parts Satellite hood....so what officially do I call the final thing? A 71 Satellite, a 71 GTX or a 71 Roadrunner?  No use Googling it, you get conflicting answers, with most claiming a 72 RR....

Full disclosure: I have owned multiple '71 Satellites. I love the way they look (although some people hate their looks). I used to be unenthusiastic about the '73-'74 cars, but they have really grown on me. I would take a '73-'74 Road Runner of any kind in a hot minute! I very nearly bought a '73 in the 90's, the reason I passed at the time is that it was a manual steering car (and stripped, too- it was a Rallye Red 318 car with a black bench seat interior). In hindsight, I should have bought it.

When I had mine (and my best friend still has a '71 Satellite Sebring), we would refer to them simply as our "Plymouths".

The '71 they used on the series was likely a Satellite that was dolled up a little. The standard hood was never used on Road Runners or GTX's (except as an Air Grabber- the AG hood was basically the standard Satellite hood with a fiberglass bubble added to it with the flapper door and a cutout in the middle).  

So to me, it would be "Daisy's Plymouth".

But that's just me...