Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Ford Thunderbird

Railroad

This was a resin kit I picked up on ebay from Paul. I built it the look like my 'Bird I had in '94 during my senior yr. in high school. I added a l88 hood scoop,Β keystone rims on the front, and deep dish cragars on 15" 50s on the rear. Painted it black with a maroon vinyl roof. I've posted builds on the other site that got shut down. This is my first build post here. I hope you guys enjoy it.πŸ‘20210122_125400.thumb.jpg.077c126967986ebc484413878e910a89.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! That looks so tough, those big meats out back are great.Β Β Would like to see a few more pictures.Β  You had a cool ride in high school.Β  The cars to have over here were late 70's-early 80's Monte Carlo's and Grand Prix's.Β  Seemed like darn near everyone had one LOL.

Nice model! I spent the big bucks not long ago and got one of these too from Paul. Interesting to watch the auctions of these when they get near the end........the bidding frenzy can be CRAZY. 😲

Not sure when I'd build mine.........gotta be full detail though with engine and all and I've since got all the bits and pieces to do that. I got this as I've always LOVED this car ever since I saw the first one in high school when they were intro'd in late '76.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Nice model! I spent the big bucks not long ago and got one of these too from Paul. Interesting to watch the auctions of these when they get near the end........the bidding frenzy can be CRAZY. 😲

Not sure when I'd build mine.........gotta be full detail though with engine and all and I've since got all the bits and pieces to do that. I got this as I've always LOVED this car ever since I saw the first one in high school when they were intro'd in late '76.

Yeah it is interesting to watch. I was biting my nails towards the end of my auction. I paid way more than I usually do for a model, but it ended up being worth it in the end. All through the build, memories that would bring a smile to my face kept popping into my head. I could almost hear the roar of the 351 Windsor with headers that was in it and smell the 15" 50s roasting!πŸ˜‚

3 hours ago, gseeds said:

Man that’s really cool!! I would love to find that body for a build myself, yours looks awesome!Β 

Thanks for the reply. Paul sells them on ebay, but you'll have to dig into your pockets for one. They're running between $3-500.

18 hours ago, bogger44 said:

Nice! That looks so tough, those big meats out back are great.Β Β Would like to see a few more pictures.Β  You had a cool ride in high school.Β  The cars to have over here were late 70's-early 80's Monte Carlo's and Grand Prix's.Β  Seemed like darn near everyone had one LOL.

Thanks for the reply. Where I went to school in '94, the T-birds were big. There were 7 of them and they all pretty much looked the same. Our local police chief hated us because if we lost him and he couldn't get our plate numbers, he couldn't tell whichΒ one of us he was chasing.πŸ˜‚

Edited by Railroad

15 hours ago, Railroad said:

This was a resin kit I picked up on ebay from Paul. I built it the look like my 'Bird I had in '94 during my senior yr. in high school. I added a l88 hood scoop,Β keystone rims on the front, and deep dish cragars on 15" 50s on the rear. Painted it black with a maroon vinyl roof. I've posted builds on the other site that got shut down. This is my first build post here. I hope you guys enjoy it.πŸ‘20210122_125400.thumb.jpg.077c126967986ebc484413878e910a89.jpg

You still do excellent work Randy . I've been on here quite awhile now . Enjoy .. ThanxΒ 

7 hours ago, Railroad said:

Thanks for the reply. Paul sells them on ebay, but you'll have to dig into your pockets for one. They're running between $3-500.

There's one he has on there right now and the auction ends on Sunday night at 9:00. You can betcha those last 5-10 minutes are going to be wild!

I gotta give Paul a LOT of credit on this one. I was watching his thread as he was getting the body shape worked out. I've seen others attempt this, but he's done the ABSOLUTE BEST I've ever seen on this car! I was going to wait until the price ultimately settles down, but I got tired of waiting and went all out to grab it. ;)

And yes, once the mold wears out for it, there's no guarantee he'll make 'em again when it's done. It's one of the reasons I stress that if you REALLY want something in the aftermarket and can pay the money, it's best to go all out and grab it as it'll become sure fire unobtainium in no time at all.

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

There's one he has on there right now and the auction ends on Sunday night at 9:00. You can betcha those last 5-10 minutes are going to be wild!

I gotta give Paul a LOT of credit on this one. I was watching his thread as he was getting the body shape worked out. I've seen others attempt this, but he's done the ABSOLUTE BEST I've ever seen on this car! I was going to wait until the price ultimately settles down, but I got tired of waiting and went all out to grab it. ;)

And yes, once the mold wears out for it, there's no guarantee he'll make 'em again when it's done. It's one of the reasons I stress that if you REALLY want something in the aftermarket and can pay the money, it's best to go all out and grab it as it'll become sure fire unobtainium in no time at all.

I learned the hard way that with resin offerings you can't procrastinate and grab them once they're out. I missed out on getting a Mustang II coupe because it was always lower on my list. Once I got where I wanted to get one, they weren't offered anywhere anymore. Now when I see a resin body I want, I jump on it immediately.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited by Railroad

5 hours ago, dimaxion said:

You still do excellent work Randy . I've been on here quite awhile now . Enjoy .. ThanxΒ 

Thanks John. I was bummed when the other site shut down, but I am starting to enjoy this one. So you'll see some more of my more unusual builds on here now.πŸ‘πŸ‘

10 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

My mom (and later I) have owned a '77 T-Bird. I've been watching all those auctions, and I worry about the same thing that you mentioned, but the prices these have been selling are a bit out of my price range.

8 hours ago, kruleworld said:

Nice build. i hope Revell or AMT will tool up one of these soon

Thanks for the reply Kruleworld. I always wished one of the model companies would have made a T-bird also. I won't hold my breath on them doing it though.

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice and cool Tbird, I had a 77 with the 78 headlight covers and black on black exterior and red interior. Best driving car I ever owned.

Hey Carl long time no see!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Thanks for the reply. My old T-bird was probably the second most trustworthy vehicle I ever owned.πŸ‘πŸ‘

15 hours ago, peteski said:

I bid on the one listed on eBay tonight, but it went for a higher price.Β  At least it was not over $500 anymore!

I saw that too. I'm hoping that Paul makes enough money that he will think it's worthwhile to keep casting these for a while. I wouldn't mind getting 1 more down the road.

2 hours ago, Railroad said:

I saw that too. I'm hoping that Paul makes enough money that he will think it's worthwhile to keep casting these for a while. I wouldn't mind getting 1 more down the road.

I agree. I'm in no rush, but the only problem is that the molds do wear out.Β  He can likely make a next set of molds from the master, but it seems that every time that is done, the quality suffers.

17 hours ago, peteski said:

I bid on the one listed on eBay tonight, but it went for a higher price.Β  At least it was not over $500 anymore!

I've noticed that the prices have come down..........just a little. They still command a STEEP price though considering the type of model it is and how much folks are willing to pay for what's essentially a one of kind car. No one else does one any nicer.

Actually, anything that Paul does gets good money for good reason. His built-ups and resin kits ARE excellent!