Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black mold on ebay kit

I was the proud winner of a revell Corvette box set that has black mold on the inside of the box.

I didnt know it when i bought it and the kit was sealed except for a small tear in the bottom of the box so i assume the seller didnt know either.

I put the kits in ziplock bags and threw out the box right away.  I dont see any mold on the model bags. It looks like it was just on the box.

Should I toss the kits too? Or do you think they are ok? There  is a very slight odor if i open the zip locks but nothing like when i opened the box

Edited by youpey

If you're worried, wash the sprues in Clorox or rubbing alcohol, or both (NOT combined!). You should be okay. 

Oh, BTW, I wouldn't let the chrome sprues soak in Clorox or anything containing ammonia--the chrome will be removed.  A brief dip and rinse in water should be cool. 

13 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you're worried, wash the sprues in Clorox or rubbing alcohol, or both (NOT combined!). You should be okay. 

Correct. Although "black mold" can cause health issues, it's hardly deadly, especially if you don't breathe much in.

I have personal experience with several buildings being infested with the stuff...one of which I'm living in now, after I decontaminated it.

I've been here for six years and I've yet to wake up dead.

I wouldn't worry too much. The newsmedia over-hypes its deadly effects (especially without prolonged exposure).  UV rays are also handy for killing molds and bacteria. If you worried, leave the kit's parts exposed to sunlight for a week - that should kill off any bad stuff.

There are multiple types of black mold.  Here are couple of examples (if you feel like reading).

https://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizopus_stolonifer

Edited by peteski

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

As a famous comedian once joked, 

“Scientists have recently discovered that saliva may cause stomach cancer. But only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time”.

Everything will kill you these days. 🙄

Far as I can tell so far, nobody's getting out of here alive anyway. 

On 5/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

As a famous comedian once joked, 

“Scientists have recently discovered that saliva may cause stomach cancer. But only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time”.

The late & great!     George Carlin