Model Cars Magazine Forum

Had wanderlust bad, wanted to see the Canyon Padre bridge, which is on a 15 mile stretch of abandoned Route 66.  Life is changing, took the time to escape from everything for a day.  I knew it was going to be windy, 50 MPH gusts.  Rained some last night (snow on the Peaks), still wet coming up to Flagstaff, then it dried out.  These structures could make a cool diorama, a big one.

The abandoned bridge.
1151223729_DSC_0558edit.thumb.JPG.52eb68335cdb512c4901ab35ec3495ae.JPG

Twin Arrows.  Snowed in Arizona, it's May 21.
1857529216_IMG_1819edit.thumb.jpg.1b9fa89afc272a40b4f44ac28a7d2be4.jpg

Two Guns.
587906839_IMG_1853edit.thumb.jpg.4b2d102c2835ade339991b5d78dafb31.jpg

Two Guns zoo.
1998812017_IMG_1841edit.thumb.jpg.2122aa2adcb52b8f9f63a2371f772870.jpg

Two Guns modern gas station.  I checked the oil here.
1578900724_IMG_1858edit.thumb.jpg.c95492fca69eb444114e229b93a8ced3.jpg

Cool shots and video Kurt! I know the feeling as we have also escaped into the wilds of Vancouver Island, tho’ with much different terrain with old growth forests and bubbling streams. Great to see the Blue Barge, has the Green one retired?

Wishing you well, cheers Misha

338C29BF-D208-467E-BE23-739B5E24913F.jpeg.6528594bf53ad2fcf1179df33bff8080.jpeg

About your comment about snow in Arizona in May...

I live in the Mojave Desert of SoCal. Not far from Edwards AFB where the space shuttles used to land. And so you know what my neighborhood looks like, think of the diner/gas station/motel where NCIS Director Jenny Shepherd was killed. That's in my neighborhood. So is the church in Kill Bill. And the steep roofed diner/motel/gas station seen MANY times in movies, commercials, TV shows, music videos, etc. Most desert scenes in such media are from my neighborhood, in fact.  We're close enough that most folks in my area work down in the San Fernando Valley where Universal Studios, Disney, NBC, Warner Brothers, etc. are located.

But here, in this desert that most folks think is such a hot place, so close to LA that people think of as so warm, we've had 5" of snow fall on May 5th. There have been years when the mountains between here and LA are snow capped all year around. We've also had 2" of snow fall on September 22nd.

As for snow in Arizona, on the 4th of July in 1971, when I was on my way home from Colorado where I had to drive through snow fall in the Rockies, I was pulled over to the side of the road by the Arizona Highway Patrol with all other traffic near Flagstaff due to several inches of snow on Highway 40.  Had to sleep in the car for about 12 hours until the road department plowed the road in the early AM of the 5th. Got snowed on 2 separate times in one day on July 4th.

So yup, it happens.

Those above would make really cool dioramas, You could combine the 2 Guns rock buildings or adobe buildings with a vintage gas station for a scene. I really like the idea. No space for a diorama in my home though. Too many car models...😎

KIMG0009.JPG.6eee1d685dc991dd34691dced47582b8.JPG

On 5/22/2021 at 5:56 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool pix. It’s amazing the diversity of landscape in different parts of our same country. 

Thank you.   Yes, first time I drove to Chicago I was amazed at the change of climate.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:15 AM, cobraman said:

Love the pics, thanks.

Thank you, and welcome!

On 5/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, RSchnell said:

Great shots and great truck! 

Thanks 2x.  Blue Cloud ran great!

On 5/22/2021 at 9:49 AM, Misha said:

Cool shots and video Kurt! I know the feeling as we have also escaped into the wilds of Vancouver Island, tho’ with much different terrain with old growth forests and bubbling streams. Great to see the Blue Barge, has the Green one retired?

[...]

Sold the Green Barge, to a nephew of the last owner, it was part of the family.   Sometimes a lifter allows blue smoke to be towed, thus the name.

1 hour ago, DustyMojave said:

About your comment about snow in Arizona in May...

I live in the Mojave Desert of SoCal. Not far from Edwards AFB where the space shuttles used to land. And so you know what my neighborhood looks like, think of the diner/gas station/motel where NCIS Director Jenny Shepherd was killed. That's in my neighborhood. So is the church in Kill Bill. And the steep roofed diner/motel/gas station seen MANY times in movies, commercials, TV shows, music videos, etc. Most desert scenes in such media are from my neighborhood, in fact.  We're close enough that most folks in my area work down in the San Fernando Valley where Universal Studios, Disney, NBC, Warner Brothers, etc. are located.

But here, in this desert that most folks think is such a hot place, so close to LA that people think of as so warm, we've had 5" of snow fall on May 5th. There have been years when the mountains between here and LA are snow capped all year around. We've also had 2" of snow fall on September 22nd.

As for snow in Arizona, on the 4th of July in 1971, when I was on my way home from Colorado where I had to drive through snow fall in the Rockies, I was pulled over to the side of the road by the Arizona Highway Patrol with all other traffic near Flagstaff due to several inches of snow on Highway 40.  Had to sleep in the car for about 12 hours until the road department plowed the road in the early AM of the 5th. Got snowed on 2 separate times in one day on July 4th.

So yup, it happens.

Those above would make really cool dioramas, You could combine the 2 Guns rock buildings or adobe buildings with a vintage gas station for a scene. I really like the idea. No space for a diorama in my home though. Too many car models...😎

[...]

Thanks for that climate info!  I grew up in Tucson, saw it snow a couple of times.  All the buildings are rock with adobe mortar.  Twin Arrows would make a very large diorama, would have to fake distance.

Edited by 89AKurt

16 hours ago, Venom said:

Your truck has a great patina👍...looks just right with the natural landscape.

I noticed that too.   One reason I found a blue truck, it's close to Indigenous art colors, and the Sante Fe architecture palette.  If I parked more strategically, would pass for an abandoned vehicle.  😅

51 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Killer pics 

Now I want to know where this is . Is it a busy tourist  place ?

PM me details if your prefer

I can see a weekend road trip in my future for this one

Thank you!  From Kentucky?   The last trip is east of Flagstaff.  Two Guns and Twin Arrows is really easy access.  The Canyon Padre section, in the EZ66 book says "This is NOT your casual vacation side trip, and not advised for first-timers."  I didn't see a soul on that part, saw 4 motorcycle riders at 2 Guns, they were hating the wind.  The traffic in Flagstaff along Route 66 was ridiculous.

• 5 weeks later...

Great photos Kurt.  Glad to see the truck was OK with the trip. Nice wheels. I went to the Mogollon rim near Heber the weekend before your trip and was surprised to still see the Twin Arrows still standing.

I am not surprised by the snow, I never went through a spring finals week at NAU without at least 1 snowfall.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, kermn8r said:

Great photos Kurt.  Glad to see the truck was OK with the trip. Nice wheels. I went to the Mogollon rim near Heber the weekend before your trip and was surprised to still see the Twin Arrows still standing.

I am not surprised by the snow, I never went through a spring finals week at NAU without at least 1 snowfall.

Thank you.  Blue Cloud is a champ!

On 6/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Is that Humphreys Peak in the Twin Arrows pic?

Yes it is!

On 6/30/2021 at 11:59 AM, charlie8575 said:

I will do a Rt. 66 trip someday.

Great photos.

Charlie Larkin

You can do it!  Just plan on half-speed.  And thank you too.

On 5/22/2021 at 5:49 PM, Misha said:

338C29BF-D208-467E-BE23-739B5E24913F.jpeg.6528594bf53ad2fcf1179df33bff8080.jpeg

Other than Yorkshire where I live, Vancouver Island is my favourite place on earth.

steve