Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are the Esci Mercedes-Benz 190E kits any good?

LDO

I think Scalemates got it right on this one, and all the M-B 190s are the same kit.  It originated with ESCI in the early 1980s, then went to Fujimi and Revell-Germany. 

At some point body cladding and other parts were added to make an AMG version.  I remember reading reviews of that kit, saying it was obvious the new parts came from a different source.  They didn't fit very well.

Mercedes-Benz 190 E, ESCI 3046 (198#) (scalemates.com)

Fujimi and Esci Mercedes 190E kits are definitely different kits. But, I think Revell-Germany actually issued both of them! The Revell-Germany Kamei kit, #7266 is based the Esci kit with added Kamei parts. Revell-Venice #7455 is for sure the Fujimi kit, and I believe that Revell-Germany #7251 and #7258 are too.   

5 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

Fujimi and Esci Mercedes 190E kits are definitely different kits. But, I think Revell-Germany actually issued both of them! The Revell-Germany Kamei kit, #7266 is based the Esci kit with added Kamei parts. Revell-Venice #7455 is for sure the Fujimi kit, and I believe that Revell-Germany #7251 and #7258 are too.   

That’s good to know. I did some more research and it looks like the Esci is not a curbside. They also have a “pre-facelift” model, which is what I have in my driveway.  So, cool. I’ll look for an Esci kit. Or two. Maybe more. The police car version looks cool. So does Ayrton Senna’s racing car. And the 2.3-16. 

8 hours ago, LDO said:

That’s good to know. I did some more research and it looks like the Esci is not a curbside.

It isn't.  I just checked my ESCI #3046, the basic 190E stock sedan.  The good news is that it does have an engine, and a separate radiator bulkhead.

The bad news:  if you want to show that engine off, you'll have to cut out the hood yourself.  That was an ESCI peculiarity, their Mercedes 450 kits are the same way.  They have engines but the hood is molded in place. It doesn't take much work to cut it out.

Another thing all ESCI Mercedes hardtops seem to share:  a great big, ugly plug of plastic hanging down from the roof, just about where the rear-view mirror would go.  Remove that thing carefully or you'll leave a big dimple in the roof.  Don't ask how I know that...

6 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

For what it's worth, I built this Fujimi last century.  It's a curbside.  So did Fujimi, Revell, Esci share this?

190 2.5-16

I know Revell reboxed the Fujimi 190, and not to terribly long ago reissued that kit itself. But the ESCI and Fujimi kits are NOT the same kit. Not even vaguely. Fujimi's kit is a mediocre curbside (sure the ESCI kit isn't an award winner either) with the awful universal one-size fits all RWD plate chassis that it used in a number of late 80s kits including their BMW 3 Series kits. Which again explains why some of that era kits from Fujimi are so bad proportionally considering the same chassis width and wheelbase served a 4 door Merc and a 2 door Bimmer. 

Adding more confusion...this guy wanted to build a detailed 190E using the Fujimi body and Revell chassis.  The Revell kit he describes must be a re-pop of the ESCI.  You have to cut out the hood:

"...even the Revell version has you manhandling the body to cut the hood out, the only difference is that the grille isn’t molded on so cutting it open is a lot easier. So the hood won’t open and it’s hiding a very well molded 2.3L 16v inline four, which I wish you could see cause credit to Revell – it’s wonderful!"

1990 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16v – Revell/Fujimi – Rays Kits

2 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

The best combination may be the Fujimi body and the ESCI running gear. Use the Fujimi rims and tires too; the Pirellis which come in the ESCI kit have detail, but their profile looks way too square.

Certainly not, the ESCI body looks OK while the Fujimi body is a terrible mess that looks completely off.

• 1 year later...

I realize that this an old thread, but I hope someone can help me identify the used kit that I bought. It is curbside and includes the motorized axle. I tried researching the kit number (Revell  ceji  7258-0389), and came up with nothing.

Unknown Mercedes.jpg

2 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I realize that this an old thread, but I hope someone can help me identify the used kit that I bought. It is curbside and includes the motorized axle. I tried researching the kit number (Revell  ceji  7258-0389), and came up with nothing.

Unknown Mercedes.jpg

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 19-20-40 140907-10911-pristine.jpg (AVIF Image 639 × 368 pixels).png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Eh? said:

Thanks Les. Do you have any idea as to the origins of this kit?

someone in the posts above said esci. seems all the 190 kits are the same except for some different bumpers and body kits. I dont know otherwise so I'm going with that. the motorised bit makes me think there might be 2 different chassis too as i dont recall my zender version having it but its been a long time since i looked in the box so i may be mistaken

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Unknown Mercedes.jpg

This one is the Fujimi kit. At different times, Revell-Germany issued both the Fujimi and the Esci Mercedes 190 kits.

• Like 1