Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

Mine arrived today, something I hadn't thought about was that Atlantis had to tinker with the Chevy engine a bit.  The parts pack engine originally had street rod headers, they had to stub in the headers from the other small-block Chevy parts pack, most of which is now in the '57 Chevy kit.  The original double kit with the Mooneyes dragster must have included both engine packs, with a bit of parts swapping between the two.

• Like 1

Mark, the last rendition of the Revell 283 Chevy parts pack also had the dragster headers in it.  I don't believe the original kit had both SBC engine packs .  Do you know if the Sting Ray engine pack with the dragster headers was already available when the double kits were issued....but I checked my Sting Ray engine parts pack and the headers do look the same as om the 283 parts pack.   

Edited by boss 302 mustang
clarification

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.e07920fcaa55cfa63b95d79a0a16457b.JPGIMG_3410.thumb.JPG.2a4da9e66a777fbfcc053eb38d3b608c.JPG

Here's the original SBC parts pack #C1101. It has the block hugger headers...

IMG_3428.thumb.JPG.2acf1b025fe0eb8a2e8fdc5cfdf40911.JPGIMG_3429.thumb.JPG.fbf07b9a00cc74b2c6ec36608d92d8d5.JPG

Here's the '63 Corvette #C1107 SBC with the "Mooneyes exhaust pipes" as the package says, but notice it has no Potvin front mounted blower. The later version of #C1101 (which is what's in the box now and still available (on FleaBay, etc) has the side sweep pipes in place of the block huggers but the pipes are shorter (and in my opinion way too small and short to faithfully replicate the Mooneyes Dragster).  Grab the headers from the AMT SBC parts pack (issued as part of the 'Competition Parts Pack' with the Allison engine, T bucket body and other parts) for a more accurate representation of the headers on the 1:1 car.

The end of our history lesson for today, class dismissed.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 1

Well, y'all made me do it: I just ordered two Mooneyes direct from Atlantis (and the B-52 w/X-15). Didn't want to wait for it to POSSIBLY show up SOMEDAY at Hobby Lobby, and then be beat out of it about 9:01 on Monday morning of 40% off kits week....

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Well, y'all made me do it: I just ordered two Mooneyes direct from Atlantis (and the B-52 w/X-15). Didn't want to wait for it to POSSIBLY show up SOMEDAY at Hobby Lobby, and then be beat out of it about 9:01 on Monday morning of 40% off kits week....

B52/x15 fun kit. Built it as kid, love stupid fast airplanes. Big cajones strapping in that. 

24 minutes ago, keyser said:

B52/x15 fun kit. Built it as kid, love stupid fast airplanes. Big cajones strapping in that. 

Yeah, I did it as a kid too. My Dad brought it home for me from one of his trips. He didn't do that often. Only other one I remember him bringing me was the 1/48 Hawk U-2. That's now a rare kit because they changed the molds to make the C version. 

I'm looking forward to building the B-52/X-15 as a sort of tribute to Dad. 

For all those people who have been wishing for a more traditional rear end for Revel's Deuce and Model A kits, it looks like you have almost a complete conversion kit right there, with both regular and quick change options.  It looks like you'll still need a rear crossmember, but most of what you want is there.

• Like 1

Received my two kits yesterday and as said earlier everything looks great !  I especially like the new tires ! 

One thing though is that neither kit had any decals , are there supposed to be any included ?  Not a deal breaker for me , just curious .

45 minutes ago, Mark said:

Decal sheet is VERY small (not much is needed).  They might be wedged in the instruction sheets or boxes somewhere.

Found em' they were tucked way inside the flaps of the boxes . I looked earlier but with not much light I missed 'em .

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Decal sheet is VERY small (not much is needed).  They might be wedged in the instruction sheets or boxes somewhere.

Mark is correct (as usual).  The original Double Kit release also had what was essentially the same, very small decal sheet.  And as mentioned in my "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits" book, of the entire 3-series Revell Double Kit release in 1963, only the Mooneyes Dragster had any decal sheet at all...TIM 

• Like 1

I knew that because I have one of the Atlantis kits...

Never having had any of the original double kits (only parts from a couple of them), I'm surprised those didn't have at least a small sheet of sponsors, numbers, and class designations, like what Revell did in the late Sixties and much of the Seventies.

To sum it up, even as a single kit this is an excellent value for anyone into early Sixties drag racing, or street rods.  The Dragmaster chassis is very well done while still being easy to assemble, and the "extra" roadster can be assembled without the one part that is needed for the dragster.  The speed equipment parts tree has enough parts to finish off both chassis.  The small-block Chevy engine is typical early Sixties Revell.  Though only one set of tires is included, you get multiple sets of wheels including two pairs of dragster fronts, and these are among the better ones done in 1/25 scale plastic.  Though some tweaks are needed to get a 100% correct dragster, you do also get a ton of extra parts for other projects.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The original Parts Pack chassis had what are basically the decals that are in the kit now, but, the Double Kit had the ones with the Revell logo, and some sponsors, on them. I am sure Atlantis does not want to promote another model company or pay royalties. 

Photo: The Revell Double Parts Pak Kit w Mooneyes Dragster | Revell Decals  album | DRASTIC PLASTICS MODEL CAR CLUB | Fotki.com, photo and video  sharing made easy.

Jesse is right and I am wrong  :(. 

I just checked my MoonEyes Double Dragster kit and yes, my kit's decal looks just like the one Jesse posted, not the somewhat simplified one in the new Moebius kit, and it is printed with the correct ""H" kit number on the back side.   So I am presuming it was in all the original c.1963 kits that Revell produced.   

Thx for correcting us, Jesse!  TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The original Parts Pack chassis had what are basically the decals that are in the kit now, but, the Double Kit had the ones with the Revell logo, and some sponsors, on them. I am sure Atlantis does not want to promote another model company or pay royalties. 

Photo: The Revell Double Parts Pak Kit w Mooneyes Dragster | Revell Decals  album | DRASTIC PLASTICS MODEL CAR CLUB | Fotki.com, photo and video  sharing made easy.

Also, there are examples of the 1:1 car without Revell logos, so what they provided is still accurate, while not promoting another manufacturer is a bonus 😋

image.png.98617588226446cf8e9ceafcd33b86f9.png