Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another 50+

Last weeks, I've been scouting here, and I admit, this forum looks great.
Like many, I made models in my younger years as it stopped due to high school, girls, first job, house etc...
As my son grew up, he also became a modeller in another category ; building Warhammer figures and gaming with it.
Being 17 now, he is quite skilled. There's a lot I could learn from him.
Covid lockdowns finally got me into it again.
So we turned a room from the house into our hobby-room, where we spend time during rainy evenings.
I apoligise for my English, as it is not my native language.

13 hours ago, Zippi said:

Welcome to the forum.  What style of cars or trucks do you prefer and what scale?

Scale from 1/43 over 1/32 to 1/24. I prefer 1/24, but 1/43 are quicker built and take less space on the shelf.
I prefer race cars like formula 1, group C or classic racers.
Also the less known every-day car. I am always pleased with a model like your neighbours Kia, Peugeot, Alfa or Nissan.
I'm a bit bored of all those Ferrari's, Porsches and Lambo's in the model shops.
In my opinion the manufacturers have lack of inspiration and originality.
Though I have to admit I'm working on a Lamborghini Diablo now. I had it as a gift, and I do it as a training to improve my skills.

8 hours ago, Hans1971 said:

Scale from 1/43 over 1/32 to 1/24. I prefer 1/24, but 1/43 are quicker built and take less space on the shelf.
I prefer race cars like formula 1, group C or classic racers.
Also the less known every-day car. I am always pleased with a model like your neighbours Kia, Peugeot, Alfa or Nissan.
I'm a bit bored of all those Ferrari's, Porsches and Lambo's in the model shops.
In my opinion the manufacturers have lack of inspiration and originality.
Though I have to admit I'm working on a Lamborghini Diablo now. I had it as a gift, and I do it as a training to improve my skills.

Welcome to the forum Hans!

I agree with you. Too many exotic, sports and competition models - give us some pedestrian "everyday family drivers".  I'm in USA and I would love to see some of those pedestrian American cars from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, but I also wouldn't mind models of similar European cars.  I believe that the reason that type of model is not being produced because model manufacturers don't think such models would sell well enough to even break even on the tooling. 

One ray of hope is the continuous advancement of 3D printing technology, and growing number of 3D model designer hobbyists.  With that technology it is possible that some individuals (not a model company) will design and offer such models for sale.  Kind of like what the resin casters (small cottage industry) have been doing for decades.  Lets hope that my hopes come true.

12 hours ago, Hans1971 said:

I once read that model companies can run break-even by only producing Spitfire and Me 109 planes.
All the rest is for fun it seems.

If you are not joking, that makes no sense. If they only broke even (no profits), there would not be any funds to develop one tooling and produce new models.  But companies still produce new models. No company makes anything for "fun". 

Edited by peteski

Welcome Hans, great to have you here. Its wonderful that you and your son can share some hobby time together. I'm fortunate enough to have a son to share it with also, I build models, he likes RC cars which means I also build RC cars,lol (mostly just prepping and painting bodies, he's still learning how to paint). 

Have fun here, lots of amazing builders who are equally amazing people!