Model Cars Magazine Forum

Belly Tanker - my 3D printed version

13 hours ago, Jiml0001 said:

On the wire front, here is where I found the small scale wire I use

wire.jpg.06b489bf896e1dcb2eab79d4a1d65ecb.jpg

10 meters for $5.00.    He also has some wire at $19.95 for 100 meters.   Outstanding value I think

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152192202513?

Thanks …

resin rivets and bolts fr Russia

and .011 wire fr China …

insert joke here …

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 8:45 PM, CabDriver said:

I would strongly recommend either putting prints up for sale, or putting the files on Shapeways - I bet you’d sell a bunch.

GREAT work so far!  Love it!

Yes , I agree, I’m in for one!

Well, I made a big mistake.   I wanted to use a flathead in my tanker and all was going well until I realized I had miscalculated the correct size to print and all the engine work I had so painstakingly done was too small (anyone need a pile of flathead stuff at about 1/32)?      Oh well, back to the drawing board and i next realized that when printed to correct size, it was just too big to fit without hacking big holes in the body for all the protuberances.   Once again, back to the drawing board.   How about a Caterham Duratec?    I have a nice drawing of that so i started there (carefully measured).     Here are the blocks for tis one:

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.b29629adb773478869527c28e431960c.JPG

I printed it with the alternator attached since the mounting brackets were just too small to attach afterwards.   The alternator is so detailed you can see the windings on the inside rotor through the vent holes.   On nice thing about 3D printing is if you are going to print one, you might as well print a dozen.   In resin printing the time is the same for one or many.    Here i printed two.    Of course you can end up with dozens of parts you cant use:

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.4678813430970642f1d4e4dad693d2dd.JPG

So the Duratec fits much better in the frame and I can finally start moving forward again

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.0c1c7f7f1ce1efd852c64528728eecad.JPGIMG_0125.thumb.JPG.208c7c405fe3c2b626bfe17d716d0fcb.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.d4285f8cee87d532ee621671d1b8399e.JPG

I also found a nice drawing of an old style flat steering wheel so I printed that:

IMG_0124.thumb.JPG.9978b204e084095ea0705af31285baf7.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Edited by Jiml0001
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim1  for the eBay wire link - mine arrived last week ….  You think our Chinese wire source could have come up with a better internet storefront name ??  Anyway - the stuff measured to .011 and is actually very useful for 25th - 24th - and 32nd scale …. 

66F593AF-C5D9-4F67-BC50-8F0999123F30.jpeg

7DC7DC32-0264-40A1-AAAD-60C7B48C0BEA.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Any updates to this build?  It's been awhile.  I've always wanted to do a Belly Tanker, but they no longer offer the resin ones, or if you do find one it is really expensive.  I've been watching for a 3D version, but haven't come across any yet.  If you made your files available to purchase, that would be nice.

In a lifetime involved in motorsports, this is the 1st race car I ever sat in. At 2 years old.

Note that these photos were taken by my father of his best friend Tom Beatty with his belly tank. My dad, Tom and Fat Eddie have passed away. As such I claim copyright to these pictures. If I find them elsewhere on the  internet, I will know they have been stolen.

Tom's belly tank is one of the most famous. Built by Tom with help from Barney Navarro. The tank body is a P38 drop tank. The frame is made of 3" round tube rails. It was the 1st car to break 180mph at El Mirage Dry Lake when it was running a wrecking yard Ford flathead V8. Then it was the 1st car to break 200mph, when it was running a wrecking yard Olds Rocket 303ci pushrod V8. IIRC, the front axle is Model T. The rear axle is swingaxle (like a VW Bug or early Porsche) built using Ford parts. In these pics taken in the late 50s at El Mirage, the wheel covers were Moon discs. The car earlier rolled with wheel covers made from wringer washing machine lids. The car now resides in the Henry Ford Museum.

The 40 Ford Sedan Delivery push truck holds a record at Bonneville, set while pushing the Arfons' Green Monster with an Allison Engine that wouldn't fire. Inside the sedan delivery were Tom and Fat Eddy ( big guy seen in these pics), Tom's rollaway tool chest, spare wheels and tires for the sedan delivery, the race car and the  trailer, a couple of spare engines for the race car, ice chest, food, jack and jack stands, pieces to put together an a-frame type engine hoist, and various spare parts etc. GMC was trying to beat that record with their heavily engineered Syclone supercharged pickup in the early 90s. They failed.

TomBeatty-FatEddie_ElMirageSCTA_1960_JackParcellsPic_02B.jpg

TomBeatty-FatEddie_ElMirageSCTA_1960_JackParcellsPic_01.jpg

TomBeatty-FatEddie_ElMirageSCTA_1960_JackParcellsPic_03.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Wow...Thank you.

Note that this car, with the front axle not dropped, the belly of the body is not flattened but clears the ground by a few inches as visible in the side view.

When these pictures were taken, I lived with my family in the San Fernando Valley, about 70 miles from El Mirage Dry Lake, on the other side of a range of 10,000 foot high Mountains, and Tom Beatty and his family lived there too. Now I can see the hills above El Mirage from my house in the Mojave Desert, only 10 miles from where the belly tank was parked in these pictures.

Edited by DustyMojave

• 1 year later...

Well, it has been awhile.   The belly tanker got the best of me, too many parts, scaling problems, print issues.   If I know one thing about modeling, when a project stops being fun then get away from it and come back later.    So now after learning more about my printer and getting proper scaling figured out, I am back on the Tanker.

Come to find out, a Ford flathead does fit perfectly.   I built up three examples.

image3.jpeg.6ab7ace9a0989d368299a9cb8de0acf8.jpegimage2.jpeg.59fba04678cedbd41cc65c8bc510b231.jpeg

image1.jpeg.84f5c03ea35b84bacd9da1e7d4546a69.jpegimage0.jpeg.ba3e8d5cfd4f5ea513f223da9343701a.jpeg

• Like 1

The frame I designed probably is nothing like any other belly tanker.   It was just my imagination wanting to have a frame that looked like an old airplane frame.   I like how the finished frame looks.   I installed the engine and transmission and everything fit just right.   

IMG_0067.jpg.8816a1a5b6ff07537bb3ca182b12d6cc.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg.24c67130b222041843249e3d0714020e.jpgIMG_0069.jpg.34ca1a8feb64d40ba3e88cd554dadefe.jpg

The red tank on the front bulkhead is a fire extinguisher and nozzles.   All the control cables. gas and brake lines are threaded through the frame as you can see above.     Now I think I will move to the front and do the cockpit, gas tank etc.

If anyone would ever like to attempt this project or could use some of the parts to make their own design, send me an email and I will send you all the print files.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by Jiml0001
  • Like 4

On 2/9/2022 at 9:32 PM, DustyMojave said:

In a lifetime involved in motorsports, this is the 1st race car I ever sat in. At 2 years old.

Note that these photos were taken by my father of his best friend Tom Beatty with his belly tank. My dad, Tom and Fat Eddie have passed away. As such I claim copyright to these pictures. If I find them elsewhere on the  internet, I will know they have been stolen.

Tom's belly tank is one of the most famous. Built by Tom with help from Barney Navarro. The tank body is a P38 drop tank. The frame is made of 3" round tube rails. It was the 1st car to break 180mph at El Mirage Dry Lake when it was running a wrecking yard Ford flathead V8. Then it was the 1st car to break 200mph, when it was running a wrecking yard Olds Rocket 303ci pushrod V8. IIRC, the front axle is Model T. The rear axle is swingaxle (like a VW Bug or early Porsche) built using Ford parts. In these pics taken in the late 50s at El Mirage, the wheel covers were Moon discs. The car earlier rolled with wheel covers made from wringer washing machine lids. The car now resides in the Henry Ford Museum.

The 40 Ford Sedan Delivery push truck holds a record at Bonneville, set while pushing the Arfons' Green Monster with an Allison Engine that wouldn't fire. Inside the sedan delivery were Tom and Fat Eddy ( big guy seen in these pics), Tom's rollaway tool chest, spare wheels and tires for the sedan delivery, the race car and the  trailer, a couple of spare engines for the race car, ice chest, food, jack and jack stands, pieces to put together an a-frame type engine hoist, and various spare parts etc. GMC was trying to beat that record with their heavily engineered Syclone supercharged pickup in the early 90s. They failed.

Very interesting stuff, Richard. I'm sure I recognize some of these names from Tex Smith's Hot Rod History. Vintage dry lakes racing is a fertile ground for modeling project ideas!

About printers.    As far as I can see there is no real difference in the performance and detail accuracy between any of the brands.   My first was a Phrozon Mini and my new one is an Elegoo Pro.   Both are in the $200 - $250 range    The Elegoo does have a larger capacity but not by much.    There is one thing different though that might be significant.  My model bench is in my bedroom and when a print job might take a couple of hours I like to run them at night.    My first printer, The Phrozon, was very, very quiet.   There is  clicking and whirring as the head moves up and down, but not a huge deal.   My new printer,, by Elegoo, has a cooling fan that runs constantly, any time the power is on.    For that reason, I wish I had replaced my Phrozon with another like it.    I have no complaints about the Phrozon.   It gave out after a huge number of print jobs so for $199 (at the time I bought mine) I consider it a bargain.

There is one thing I would pass on.   Originally the resin used in these gave off a powerful odor and required ventilation.    Also, the prints needed to be cleaned in isopropyl alcohol after they came off the printer.   You needed to buy that stuff by the gallon.    A real negative part to printing.     Now they have water washable resin that cleans up with water and there is virtually no odor.    I print at my bench in the bedroom without issue.    Just don't rinse your prints in the sink.   The residue you rinse off can harden in the drain pipe.

Once a print comes off and is rinsed, it needs to be cured using UV light.    I went to Amazon and bought a UV light designed for curing fingernail polish.   It cost me $12.00 and works great.

Just some of my thoughts about getting started.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For those unfamiliar with 3D printing each print builds layer by layer from bottom to top.  The plate that the print adheres to moves up and down layer by layer as each layer is exposed to the light source.  So the print actually builds in the printer upside down

2A05C690-3E22-4075-A7B8-79017EF7CAC3.thumb.jpeg.e2512570154485fe0a5150dd8e3c1a88.jpeg
one of the most important setups for printing has to do with the position of each part as it prints.   It’s important not to have edges parallel to the build plate.  That is why I tilt each part so they come out clean

3BDD7409-455A-42CE-AD04-BEC0604A6A34.thumb.jpeg.92ffab8d9dd7e2f5714cf8fc97cd2299.jpeg
right out of the printer the resin is fairly soft.   It needs to be cured in a UV light source.    Then the parts can be trimmed and glued together

ED5A2661-5BE8-4F6C-AA3A-78E1ADFD8DDA.thumb.jpeg.c1c47bc31fecd4a81092f8f3a2c1cdfb.jpeg

• Like 1