Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Challenger contribution

1959scudetto

Here is my contribution to the Challenger theme - one of the best looking muscle/ponycar in my opinion: Both are quick out-of-the-box builds without further detailing:

amt's 1970 Challenger R/T Convertible was built from the '79 Matchbox/amt release - molded in yellow, it got only a clearcoat.

mpc's 1974 Challenger Coupé  was an annual kit I got from a pen-pal from Indiana in 1986. Impressed by the movie "Vanishing point", I sprayed it in white with a clearcoat and added the custom front spoiler - otherwise it is box-stock.

Built in 1988, the following 2 photos are from 2008:

P1070041.JPG.ade30a2b3dc40441f096bebab31226fd.JPG

P1070040.JPG.15127b30208517d45dca2e207a9ee103.JPG

Last winter, I sold both of them - whereas the Convertible was in a rather good condition, time has not been very kind to the mpc '74 annual: the clear coat showed very visible signs of yellowing - much more than in 2008, and the vinyl tires were eating up the wheels which were melting and showed kind of bubbles around the circumference - I cut these off as good as I could, but obviously those tire/wheel combos were not meant to survive more than 45 years...

Here are some more pics (this time from Dec. 2020):

P1040071.JPG.fa0a020b0002ddc2964a54b3a172482c.JPGP1040072.JPG.d00494a98a228ceb1f2c580495f2c6fb.JPG

P1040073.JPG.c811a778ab6178b00fd208f1c428638d.JPGP1040074.JPG.b674e22c3f54467c0c983c84652f9bba.JPG

• Like 2

Both are great looking builds. At first I was going to comment on how good they both looked and then I read your remark about the time frame and then in the last two pictures you can see the paint issues you mention on the white car. Still to have a model hold up this well over so many years says a lot about the workmanship and materials used long ago.  

18 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Nicely done Mopars! The 74 has an aggressive look that suits an E-body perfectly. 

Thank you,  Frank!

17 hours ago, espo said:

Both are great looking builds. At first I was going to comment on how good they both looked and then I read your remark about the time frame and then in the last two pictures you can see the paint issues you mention on the white car. Still to have a model hold up this well over so many years says a lot about the workmanship and materials used long ago.  

Thanks, David - everything shows some signs of decay after some decades...

17 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice build Helmut !!👍😀

Merci, Philippe !

16 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Both are very nice!

Thanks, Craig !

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice pair!

Thank you. Larry!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Those are seriously nice builds. I especially like the convertible in that mustard yellow. Surprisingly the red interior suits it very nice. Never would thought red and yellow would work that well together without clashing! Very nice work.

Thank you, Gareth - the yellow is the color the kit was molded in - I just applied a clearcoat.The interior was not red, but chocolate brown.

1 hour ago, 1959scudetto said:

Thank you, Gareth - the yellow is the color the kit was molded in - I just applied a clearcoat.The interior was not red, but chocolate brown.

ah ok. Not such a bad thing models being moulded in colour if they turn out looking that good just clear coated!