Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

I have an original issue Fireball 500 and I can confirm it did come with the smaller Indy car tires you mentioned. I'm running a pair on the back of this AMT Deuce. I wish Round2 would/could find or clone the 'implement' tires I have on the front.

spacer.png

Nice example of "big and littles"

I think the IMC tire tools travelled along with the corresponding car kits, many of which are apparently lost.  If Lindberg had gotten all of them, they would almost certainly reissued one or both '48 Fords (this was before the Revell kits appeared), probably the VW Beetle, and maybe they'd have gotten into the Ford GTs and other racing cars.

• Thanks 1

These are the tires in the Revell reissue of the Cougar II. I assume there the same as in the original issue? I have a Union reissue of the Chaparral and Lotus, same type of tire but IIRC, two different sizes. [Yes, I know,, Testors, NOT Revell]

130 3013

130 3014  

Edited by Can-Con

On 8/4/2022 at 6:11 PM, Justin Porter said:

Well, the AMT kit that I was most looking forward to personally arrived at the shop and I have one set aside for myself. All opened up it's no awful surprises and should be a fairly quick build. The highlight is easily that the wheels are both prototypical and well molded. The low light is the "refer to box art" cop out in the instructions for decal placement. All in all, though, I'm not unhappy and glad they did take the time to throw Indy fans a bone.

20220804_184611.jpg

20220804_185022.jpg

20220804_185034.jpg

20220804_185102.jpg

20220804_185116.jpg

20220804_185132.jpg

20220804_185138.jpg

20220804_185147.jpg

20220804_185208.jpg

20220804_185221.jpg

20220804_185227.jpg

Even with the criticism others are giving this kit, I have one on order, and am looking forward to getting it. True, I could go to Indy Decals to make a more accurate version of this car. But, I like what comes in the box. And in general with what is included, it will look close enough to the real thing for me in the end. Plus, I look at this as partially a nostalgia thing. In the sixty’s when this kit originally came out was pretty cool, and built into a fairly good looking rendition of the Gurney’s real car. In the 2020’s, it could be done with more accuracy. But, that’s not necessarily what I’m looking, or expecting from this kit. 

13 hours ago, Can-Con said:

These are the tires in the Revell reissue of the Cougar II. I assume there the same as in the original issue? I have a Union reissue of the Chaparral and Lotus, same type of tire but IIRC, two different sizes.

130 3013

130 3014  

The above is not a Revell kit. Originally IMC, later Lindberg. 

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The above is not a Revell kit. Originally IMC, later Lindberg. 

I know that Scott. I meant Testors.  I also know it was originally an IMC as the tires that were being discussed, that's why I made the post.

This is the box it came in. , , You did know Testors reissued this kit, right?

1963 Ford Cougar II Concept Show Car (1/25) (fs)

58 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I know that Scott. I meant Testors.  I also know it was originally an IMC as the tires that were being discussed, that's why I made the post.

This is the box it came in. , , You did know Testors reissued this kit, right?

1963 Ford Cougar II Concept Show Car (1/25) (fs)

Yea I do remember it. This all reminds me, that I need to finish my Lindberg version one of these days. 

55 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Since Round2 is improving old tools, Why not do a 51 Ford? I'm not sure of the interior differences but the body changes appear to be minor. Tool up a new grille and tail lights and change the side trim.

How about taking their old ‘50 convertible, clone the die, update that to a ‘51 with a Victoria roof? That way you could still offer the old ‘50 convertible in the future, and a new ‘51 Vicky. That make a cool set of shoebox Fords. The ‘49 club coupe. The ‘50 convertible. And a ‘51 Victoria. 

841AF60B-7172-434A-9C59-D9575A082E22.jpeg

3DEC7B39-619E-429D-91E7-40C1E1D22113.jpeg

3AF374C8-8179-46C7-8E05-3419A05A2DCA.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

How about taking their old ‘50 convertible, clone the die, update that to a ‘51 with a Victoria roof? That way you could still offer the old ‘50 convertible in the future, and a new ‘51 Vicky. That make a cool set of shoebox Fords. The ‘49 club coupe. The ‘50 convertible. And a ‘51 Victoria. 

841AF60B-7172-434A-9C59-D9575A082E22.jpeg

3DEC7B39-619E-429D-91E7-40C1E1D22113.jpeg

3AF374C8-8179-46C7-8E05-3419A05A2DCA.jpeg

I agree it would be great if Round 2 would do a '51 Ford. I have built a few resin bodied '51 Fords and even owned one a loooong time ago. Your suggestion for the Victory hardtop style was an option on the original '50 Ford convertible kit. In fact, that original kit was full of custom parts with four different roof options. As for an accurate '51 Ford there are a few differences from the '49 and '50 that to be correct would destroy the original '50 hood and interior. Beyond the grill the hood on the '51 had a slightly different shape in the crown. The taillights could easily be done with a simple add on part much the way Ford did it to the real cars. The trunk lid shared the '50 models license plate light and handle. The dashboard is entirely different as were the interior window moldings. I would be very pleased of Round 2 would just open all the channels on the parts trees for the '50 convertible kit, beyond that they would only have to get a bigger box to hold all the goodies. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I agree it would be great if Round 2 would do a '51 Ford. I have built a few resin bodied '51 Fords and even owned one a loooong time ago. Your suggestion for the Victory hardtop style was an option on the original '50 Ford convertible kit. In fact, that original kit was full of custom parts with four different roof options. As for an accurate '51 Ford there are a few differences from the '49 and '50 that to be correct would destroy the original '50 hood and interior. Beyond the grill the hood on the '51 had a slightly different shape in the crown. The taillights could easily be done with a simple add on part much the way Ford did it to the real cars. The trunk lid shared the '50 models license plate light and handle. The dashboard is entirely different as were the interior window moldings. I would be very pleased of Round 2 would just open all the channels on the parts trees for the '50 convertible kit, beyond that they would only have to get a bigger box to hold all the goodies. 

Wasn't that Victoria hardtop in the original '50 Ford Convertible kit only offered as a Chopped version that matched up with the chopped windshield that was for both the convertible and hardtop options? But since it's been 60 years since the one I had my memory could be wrong. I have looked at the tops from the Lindberg/AMT '53 Ford kit and the AMT '51 Bel-Air hardtop kit and I think I'm gonna use the Chevy kits top to replicate the chopped top in the original release of the '50 Ford Convertible, which unless my memory has again betrayed me was the only time it was offered in the kit.

The Victoria hardtop in the first issue '50 Ford convertible kit was chopped, to fit with the chopped windshield frame.

Actually, a "short door" two-door sedan wouldn't be a bad choice for a body.  A lot of the "shoebox Ford" guys favor that body style over the coupe that AMT did, as clean looking as the coupe is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, espo said:

I would be very pleased of Round 2 would just open all the channels on the parts trees for the '50 convertible kit, beyond that they would only have to get a bigger box to hold all the goodies. 

I believe almost all of the parts runners for the parts trees are open. The chopped Victoria roof, fins and skirts bit the dust to make room for the plastic slicks and straight axle. The Carson top is still in the kit, but modified to a targa style roof. There may be some small bits here and there, especially on the chrome tree, but as far as I know, what's there is what still exists.

14 hours ago, horsepower said:

Wasn't that Victoria hardtop in the original '50 Ford Convertible kit only offered as a Chopped version that matched up with the chopped windshield that was for both the convertible and hardtop options? But since it's been 60 years since the one I had my memory could be wrong. I have looked at the tops from the Lindberg/AMT '53 Ford kit and the AMT '51 Bel-Air hardtop kit and I think I'm gonna use the Chevy kits top to replicate the chopped top in the original release of the '50 Ford Convertible, which unless my memory has again betrayed me was the only time it was offered in the kit.

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

I believe almost all of the parts runners for the parts trees are open. The chopped Victoria roof, fins and skirts bit the dust to make room for the plastic slicks and straight axle. The Carson top is still in the kit, but modified to a targa style roof. There may be some small bits here and there, especially on the chrome tree, but as far as I know, what's there is what still exists.

Morning to you both. I don't have any pictures, but I do have an original kit box on the '50 Ford convertible. I'll share some of the information on the box and you can draw from that what you may. The kit # T-150-200 is listed as being a 3 in 1 with Stylized, Customized, and Stock options. On one side of the box, they have some nice-looking drawings of some of the Roof options. These pictures all show the optional body mods on them. They show a hardtop version, and it does look like it may be chopped. A top-down convertible with a boot. An up-top convertible roof as well as a Carson style roof with a small port hole window on the side. This kit doesn't mention the half roof done in a Carson style that I remember from what I'm thinking may have been later issues. As you both know the convertible kit offers a different design for the mounting of the windshield. The kit has both a stock height and a copped windshield option. For the body they show in addition to the stock grill, two different styles of headlight and grills along with a simple front roll pan and frenched style grill surround. For the rear body they show the option of a roll pan instead of the rear bumper, a housing for a recessed trunk mounted license plate and some glue on side fins for the custom taillights. The interior included the same bucket seats used in the coupe model along with a butterfly style steering wheel. Today looking thru some old parts I found what looks like a stock height convertible roof but with a smaller than stock rear window, also an interior cover from the back of the front seat all the way over the boot area. This is just a few of the options AMT offered way back when. These are still one of my personal favorites, partly because we had a new '49 Ford when I was a child and I have owned a few including a couple of '51's thru the years. We can hope that Round 2 seeing enough chatter about this kit too consider a more complete reissue.     

I've got a complete original issue kit.  Those were molded in off-white, solid white, and gray.  At one time I had all three colors.

The kit never included a tonneau cover for the interior.  The Victoria roof was chopped and was intended to be used with the chopped windshield frame.  The Carson/Hall style top was modified into the Deville half top that is in the current issue.  Missing parts include the Stylizing rear fins, fender skirts, and a custom rear bumper piece.  Maybe a couple of other small parts also.

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile, back at Topicville...

AMT-1333 1/25 Coke 1929 Ford Woody Pickup Truck

AMT-1338 1/25 Aqua Rod Race Team 1975 Chevy Van, Race Boat & Trailer

AMT-1339 1/25 Alaskan Hauler Kenworth Tractor Cab

AMT-1352 1/25 Lennie Pond 1974 Chevy Malibu Stock Car

AMT-1365 1/25 1967 Oldsmobile 442

MPC-982 1/25 Li'l Hustler 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck

MPC-984 1/24 Space 1999: Moonbuggy/Amphicat

MPC-996 1/25 Monkeemobile from TV Series

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

AMT-1333 1/25 Coke 1929 Ford Woody Pickup Truck

AMT-1338 1/25 Aqua Rod Race Team 1975 Chevy Van, Race Boat & Trailer

AMT-1339 1/25 Alaskan Hauler Kenworth Tractor Cab

AMT-1352 1/25 Lennie Pond 1974 Chevy Malibu Stock Car

34 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

MPC-982 1/25 Li'l Hustler 1975 Datsun Pickup Truck

MPC-984 1/24 Space 1999: Moonbuggy/Amphicat

Some Great Stuff this time on the list. The Aqua Rod Race Team, will kill collector prices, and probably sell very well. The Kenworth will sell like hotcakes, as it has been a very long time since the last issue. I wonder if the '29 Ford will be the MPC Ford in an AMT Box? I am curious to see what exactly is in the box for the MPC Datsun. Maybe all the stock wheels and Tires? And last but not least, How soon will we see Banana Splits Versions of the Amphicat. IIRC, you just need to paint them different colours, there aren't even any decals for them.

Great Line up!

19 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Some Great Stuff this time on the list. The Aqua Rod Race Team, will kill collector prices, and probably sell very well.

Now Revell needs to start bringing back out their vehicle and trailer/boat kits! Heck, even if they just bring back the trailers/boats as their own kits would be great.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Some Great Stuff this time on the list. The Aqua Rod Race Team, will kill collector prices, and probably sell very well. The Kenworth will sell like hotcakes, as it has been a very long time since the last issue. I wonder if the '29 Ford will be the MPC Ford in an AMT Box? I am curious to see what exactly is in the box for the MPC Datsun. Maybe all the stock wheels and Tires? And last but not least, How soon will we see Banana Splits Versions of the Amphicat. IIRC, you just need to paint them different colours, there aren't even any decals for them.

Great Line up!

It might be this one....

Model Kit Datsun Pickup Lil Hustler

• Thanks 1