Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

RUN YOUR CAR ON SNAKE-OIL !!!


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

No mention of : vehicle weight ; final drive ratio ; engine size / displacement ; tyre & wheel dimensions ; octane of fuel ( appropriate rating *without* retarding the [ poop ]  out of the timing , etc. ) . 

Right. As if the average slug reading and responding to these ads would even know about that. Most people have to get on their iC_rap phone to call for road service to do something simple like changing a flat.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Right. As if the average slug reading and responding to these ads would even know about that. Most people have to get on their iC_rap phone to call for road service to do something simple like changing a flat.

Got that right ! That's the target audience ( price-point notwithstanding ) : those whom know little to nothing about mechanical functions ** .

The only way for anyone - kids especially  - to learn how to change a flat tyre is for someone to show them how to . This lack-of-teaching & learning started -in my observations- in the 1980s . By the time I'd reached high school , auto shop was book work only , with no hands-on ! Everything that I've learnt over my 51 years was via trial and error , and by observing / helping others with their vehicles . 

** I'm not the sharpest butter knife in the tacklebox , but I do practise critical thinking , and exhibit apprehension almost to a fault . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

You just had to, didn't you? :P:D

It's always necessary to evaluate and consider every paradigm that may influence marketing philosophy, where the throughput of ideation is focused on eliminating disruptive tech synergies, and highly responsive brand awareness can be leveraged to encompass a robust alignment with driving societal and lifestyle factors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's always necessary to evaluate and consider every paradigm that may influence marketing philosophy, where the throughput of ideation is focused on eliminating disruptive tech synergies, and highly responsive brand awareness can be leveraged to encompass a robust alignment with driving societal and lifestyle factors.

Wow, Bill.... You broke out the Thesaurus for that one! Or is that just the "lingo".......... :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's always necessary to evaluate and consider every paradigm that may influence marketing philosophy, where the throughput of ideation is focused on eliminating disruptive tech synergies, and highly responsive brand awareness can be leveraged to encompass a robust alignment with driving societal and lifestyle factors.

Translation: ‘what’s it gonna take to get every idiot out there to buy this junk?’

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

... just advertise it and they'll crawl out of the woodwork like roaches in a tenement apartment.

Especially if said advertising is accompanied by an endorsement from any random past-it celebrity, or an unidentified "scientist", "doctor", "researcher", or "expert".

"Follow the science".   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Annette Figueroa would be the perfect Z-list "expert"/"scientist"/"doctor"/"researcher". She was passed off as a "doctor" in the original Plexaderm commercials.

plexaderm-skincare-dating-after-40-large-3.jpg.c863687acaf8c09f1a9dc4c20aa81473.jpg

What's the deal with her telescopic neck? Did she forget to wear her neck rings that day?

brass_neck_rings_tribe.webp.9903a58a4f92e9e5027242a4b0d1f022.webp

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Annette Figueroa would be the perfect Z-list "expert"/"scientist"/"doctor"/"researcher". She was passed off as a "doctor" in the original Plexaderm commercials.

plexaderm-skincare-dating-after-40-large-3.jpg.c863687acaf8c09f1a9dc4c20aa81473.jpg

What's the deal with her telescopic neck? Did she forget to wear her neck rings that day?

brass_neck_rings_tribe.webp.9903a58a4f92e9e5027242a4b0d1f022.webp

Lmao that's funny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Not much, just advertise it and they'll crawl out of the woodwork like roaches in a tenement apartment.

For some reason , that made me recall a quote from William S. Burroughs , pertaining to a "commodity" which can't be named here . Suffice it to say , "Somebody called me on the phone / and said / 'Hey , is Dee-Dee home ?'..."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Annette Figueroa would be the perfect Z-list "expert"/"scientist"/"doctor"/"researcher". She was passed off as a "doctor" in the original Plexaderm commercials.

plexaderm-skincare-dating-after-40-large-3.jpg.c863687acaf8c09f1a9dc4c20aa81473.jpg

What's the deal with her telescopic neck? Did she forget to wear her neck rings that day?

brass_neck_rings_tribe.webp.9903a58a4f92e9e5027242a4b0d1f022.webp

Hey now, don’t be making fun of the Dangeraffe here🤣

image.png.d8094a8aff720365c330dd68db011fd1.png

Edited by Joe Handley
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Sham-Wow guy should be a spokesman for this wonderful device!  ;)

Speaking of scams and shams, did anybody else besides me notice that quite few companies which produced quality of products for many years went out of business and those trusted and highly regarded brand names were purchased by Chinese companies, and they now use those names to sell all sorts of c-rap!.

Names such as Bell & Howell, Fuller Brush, Sharper Image, and even German Blaupunkt.  There are many more, but those are the ones that just popped into my head after seeing them in fairly recent TV ads.

And then there are those "Bionic" self-retracting garden hoses.  There is nothing bionic about them - someone forgot to look up what "bionic" really means.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 8:17 AM, 1972coronet said:

By the time I'd reached high school , auto shop was book work only

Well shoot, by the time I was in high school, auto shop was long gone. I was one of the lucky ones who’s dad set aside time to be a personal auto shop teacher to me on the weekends. 

A lot of dudes my age think that learning how to blow unicorn-flavored clouds out of a vape pen is more necessary than learning how to even change a burnt out headlight. At any rate, the market share for rip-off and useless automotive products is going to grow. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, SfanGoch said:

P.T. Barnum was right.

Barnum was an optimist, when it comes to the birth rate of a particular American demographic. 

I remember seeing those "miracle mileage" gizmos, with the same language, in my grandfather's collection of "Men's Action" magazines decades ago.  You know, those magazines whose covers featured a ripped he-man saving a buxom blonde from an anaconda or something. They were sold alongside "male vitality pills."  "E-Z muscle building powders" and other stuff that didn't work.  

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Speaking of scams and shams, did anybody else besides me notice that quite few companies which produced quality of products for many years went out of business and those trusted and highly regarded brand names were purchased by Chinese companies, and they now use those names to sell all sorts of c-rap!.

Ah... the 1990s were a spectacular time for such selling & purchasing .  The former company I worked for --which will remain anonymous-- was under the acronym of 'GPC' . I referred to that acronym as 'Generic Parts from China' . 

I've been singing the blues for 25 years -- closer to 30 years -- about the great defection of North American companies to China and other financially-impoverished countries . That's not  a jab at the citizens of these countries ; it's a jab at their ruling powers . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Well shoot, by the time I was in high school, auto shop was long gone. I was one of the lucky ones who’s dad set aside time to be a personal auto shop teacher to me on the weekends. 

A lot of dudes my age think that learning how to blow unicorn-flavored clouds out of a vape pen is more necessary than learning how to even change a burnt out headlight. At any rate, the market share for rip-off and useless automotive products is going to grow. 

In the 1980s ad seq. , there was a paradigm shift in 'our' public learning institutions . 

A change for the worse .

All that I ever heard whenever I enquired about the lack of courses in tangible  skills ( auto shop , etc. ) was that "things are changing... all of that's going to be obsolete soon..." and to the effect of "go to college and get a degree... join the military... take courses in [ computers ] and technology."

I just gave up at that point . I dropped out after the first three months of Grade 10 : " 'cause the world a person lives in , is his brain , well mine just gives in... " ( Who Says , Richard Hell , Blank Generation , 1977 ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

In the 1980s ad seq. , there was a paradigm shift in 'our' public learning institutions . 

A change for the worse .

All that I ever heard whenever I enquired about the lack of courses in tangible  skills ( auto shop , etc. ) was that "things are changing... all of that's going to be obsolete soon..." and to the effect of "go to college and get a degree... join the military... take courses in [ computers ] and technology."

I just gave up at that point . I dropped out after the first three months of Grade 10 : " 'cause the world a person lives in , is his brain , well mine just gives in... " ( Who Says , Richard Hell , Blank Generation , 1977 ) 

Two sides to everything...I was in high school in that time period also...I took all the college prep/AP courses, computer courses, etc...went on and got my BS and MS in computer science... it was definitely the right choice for me, I've never seen a shortage of high paying jobs in software development.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Ogle did make his Ford Galaxie  go 100 Miles on a gallon of gas. His Story is on the internet. as is his death, But who would want to kill a guy who mad a car more efficant????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, ranma said:

Tom Ogle did make his Ford Galaxie  go 100 Miles on a gallon of gas. His Story is on the internet. 

Well that settles it then. Everyone knows that everything on the internet is 100% true.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, ranma said:

Tom Ogle did make his Ford Galaxie  go 100 Miles on a gallon of gas. His Story is on the internet. as is his death, But who would want to kill a guy who mad a car more efficant????

Kind of a bizarre story...https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/history/blogs/tales-from-the-morgue/2008/04/30/200-miles-on-tw/31519999/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

... I've never seen a shortage of high paying jobs in software development.. 

No shortage of relatively "high paying" jobs for machinists, fabricators, welders, carpenters, mechanics in the automotive or aviation fields, etc. Or mechanical and aerospace engineers.

But sadly, the public has been brainwashed to look down on people in the hands-on skills group...conveniently forgetting that all the phone apps in the universe won't help you when your plumbing is dumping excrement in the basement, or your brakes fail because the dealership thought they'd be able to hire competent "technicians" for $15 per hour.

Another thing about what the competent physical-world guys do, however, is their stuff has to actually work reliably BEFORE it goes out the door.

Not so much the case in software development, is it?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...