Model Cars Magazine Forum

RUN YOUR CAR ON SNAKE-OIL !!!

Ace-Garageguy

37 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well that settles it then. Everyone knows that everything on the internet is 100% true.

Ask Ralph. He reads the paper and comic books to stay up on current affairs and the latest developments. That's not a joke, it's the truth.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I've been singing the blues for 25 years -- closer to 30 years -- about the great defection of North American companies to China and other financially-impoverished countries . That's not  a jab at the citizens of these countries ; it's a jab at their ruling powers

That doesn't seem quite accurate either.  Chine (citizens or even ruling power) are not to blame.  The greedy Western company executives who wanted to make their products as cheaply as possible outsourced the manufacturing to countries where production costs were cheaper.  You know, to maximize the profits and keep the executives and shareholders happy.  China just happened to be one of those countries with cheap labor and no environmental laws. Then, with all that foreign money flowing in, China became wealthier nation and started buying mothballed brand names and, lots of real-estate in the USA. Now they are reaping the benefits, created by all that foreign money from greedy foreign companies. But we don't want this to become political.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

everything on the internet is 100%

Tom Ogle died in 1981 , The internet started way after his untimely death.  He did have his invention patteneted! Only part of his invention diograms  have been found since then. sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. 

On 10/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, alexis said:

The "Fish Carburettor"?

The "Fish" carb is a real thing (I examined one that my late father was tinkering with).

It had minimal moving parts and actually did double the fuel mileage of a full size motor home he installed it on and a 63 Biscayne 6cyl.

It required special tuning of the engine and lacked cold weather compensation (choke), which in Arizona was not a big thing.

My father was no slouch in the engineering area, I drove a 1950 F1 that he converted a 272 y-block to run on 4 cylinders...it was gutless and sounded like a model-T but it was reliable and got good mileage.

3 hours ago, peteski said:

That doesn't seem quite accurate either.  Chine (citizens or even ruling power) are not to blame.  The greedy Western company executives who wanted to make their products as cheaply as possible outsourced the manufacturing to countries where production costs were cheaper.  You know, to maximize the profits and keep the executives and shareholders happy.  China just happened to be one of those countries with cheap labor and no environmental laws. Then, with all that foreign money flowing in, China became wealthier nation and started buying mothballed brand names and, lots of real-estate in the USA. Now they are reaping the benefits, created by all that foreign money from greedy foreign companies. But we don't want this to become political.

I agree with your assessment completely -- I just didn't want to "go there" for the very reason you've stated in the last sentence . 

Mike C, I believe You. 

I've seen Ford Flat heads (different from your Dads, running like the one shown here.

I know a tiny bit about the Fish Carbs, but I've never seen one.

The "men's magazines" My Dad, had two orange crates full of "True-the Men's Magazine" in the garage growing up.

I read all of them. Some Neat Stuff, Some Dross, and some things that I could tell even at 14 were complete BS.

I still wish I could go through them one more time.