Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

A/C Unit


Recommended Posts

Pretty sure Monograms Buick GNX, Grand National, Monte Carlo SS, 87 Tbird Turbo Coupe, 89 Super Coupe and Cougar kits contain parts for A/C systems. Possibly their Mustang GT convertible and Cobra kits do too.

I haven't checked mine in quite a while so I could be wrong. But I seem to recall many "new tool" 80s and 90s kits contained A/C parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, 69NovaYenko said:

Besides the AMT `68 El Camino are their other kits that have A/C setups.

Note: I think the AMT `70 Monte Carlo also has an A/C setup but I could be wrong.

Are you enquiring about the 396-427-454 ( Mark IV ) series only ? If so , you are correct insofar as AMT offerings are concerned .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses, this was VERY Informative. I was not aware that Revell Monogram kitted A/C units in any of their car kits. If you folks think of any additional kits please feel free to add them to the list. Planning on building several low-riders and A/C units will be a welcome addition...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not comprehensive, but you have 3 basic choices in AC Compressors.  Depends on what effect you are going for and how much you plan to modify the accessory drives of your source engines or if you are looking for an engine assembly to transplant.

Rotary type (Modern GM primarily)

CCI11042009_00006-vi.jpg

 

7666002-vi.jpg

 

Monte_Carlo_SS_Aerodeck_Page_3-vi.jpg

 

scan15-vi.jpg

 


Older GM Style (Revell 65 or 66 Chevrolet Impalas)


page2-vi.jpg

 


Generic style (C4 ZR1 or Revell 32 Fords with Ford small block option)

img089-vi.jpg

 

img512-vi.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exoics_Builder the quick A/C setup tutorial..its GREATLY appreciated. This will be VERY useful on my future builds. 

Thanks for the feedback folks..I had no idea A/C uints were available in so many kits!

 

Edited by 69NovaYenko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 10:22 PM, 69NovaYenko said:

AMT `70 Monte Carlo also has an A/C setup but I could be wrong.

And this is the only example I know of the 69-up setup that has the A6 compressor on the driver's side, driven off the P/S pump. This could be adapted to numerous 69-up Chevelles, Impalas, and pickups.

Edited by Rodent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AMT 72 Chevy truck has what looks like an A/C pump as well. Instructions just reference it as air pump. 

I detailed one out and did not research and made what is called out as the alternator the A/C pump. The AC pump would be more on the side of the engine to be correct though.

MVC-608F.jpg

1972 Chevrolet C10 | Connors Motorcar Company

Edited by Sledsel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

AMT 72 Chevy truck has what looks like an A/C pump as well. Instructions just reference it as air pump. 

I detailed one out and did not research and made what is called out as the alternator the A/C pump. The AC pump would be more on the side of the engine to be correct though.

MVC-608F.jpg

1972 Chevrolet C10 | Connors Motorcar Company

Going back to the 72 instructions (and checking a 69) the kit included an AIR pump for smog control.  The 72 instructions have the alternator and smog pump locations reversed.  I'd have to go back and check the kit to see how "accurate" these parts are.

image.png.864735d502470c412c76d3201ab7ad7b.png

Edited by Exotics_Builder
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Rodent said:

Forgot that the "new-tool" AMT '62 Thunderbird has A/C. I think that is the only time a Tecumseh/York style compressor has been done in styrene.

 

 

I went back and checked.  Yes they do.  Not sure any other kit has that one.  I don't have a lot of Ford/Mercury so hard for me to check

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, Exotics_Builder said:

Going back to the 72 instructions (and checking a 69) the kit included an AIR pump for smog control.  The 72 instructions have the alternator and smog pump locations reversed.  I'd have to go back and check the kit to see how "accurate" these parts are.

image.png.864735d502470c412c76d3201ab7ad7b.png

Well, it should look like this...  ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.dealeraccelerate.com%2Fsarasota%2F1%2F343%2F5802%2F790x1024%2F1972-chevrolet-c10&f=1&nofb=1

 

Guess mine doubles as an AC compressor. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 3:34 PM, Rodent said:

And this is the only example I know of the 69-up setup that has the A6 compressor on the driver's side, driven off the P/S pump. This could be adapted to numerous 69-up Chevelles, Impalas, and pickups.

I assume that this is the same set up as the '69 Pontiacs would have had?

 

Planning on a highly detailed version of a '69 Grand Prix in the future, and I planned on raiding the '70 Monte Carlo for a good portion of the chassis and engine bay parts.

 

08a5e1d49dc58031e6cc21223424a03e.jpg

 

 

 

 

Steve

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine that some of it would be the same. Chevrolet moved the compressor to the other side for '69 though. You might be closer to the Pontiac setup with the '68 El Camino parts.

Edited by Rodent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

I imagine that some of it would be the same. Chevrolet moved the compressor to the other side for '69 though. You might be closer to the Pontiac setup with the '68 El Camino parts.

Thanks.

I'll probably use that for my starting point.

What ever I use will likely need a bunch of mods to make it look right.

 

 

 

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...