Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Article on Model Cars From Popular Mechanics Magazine

The Bugatti Chiron Lego in article has thousands of pieces. Son has one. Pistons(16) move when halfshafts move, shifter changes gears in box, steering is insane. 
He missed a step in steering link assy. 
75% of front end done. Took me almost 2hours to figure out how to get front end apart without disassembling it down to firewall. He learned about how you have to be able to service stuff you design and build. 
Good lesson for STEM kid headed to engineering. 
The architectural Legos are absolutely models. 
Fun fact, Lego makes more tires than any other company. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mr moto said:

If you opened an AMT, Revell, or Tamiya box and saw a Ferrari, Mustang, or Bugatti with a body that looked like that you would demand your money back.

Agree. But the build is point. I can’t stand how they look, but they’re trick. 
If it brings kids into hobby why not? And there aren’t any kits of a Chiron or Porsche 991 or 992 so that’s perhaps worth looking at. 
If you haven’t priced Lego big kits, and they sell out mostly, they’re doing something right. Wish they had external sheet metal. 
Megabloks did awesome Ford GT. Daughter and I built that decade ago. 

10 hours ago, mr moto said:

If you opened an AMT, Revell, or Tamiya box and saw a Ferrari, Mustang, or Bugatti with a body that looked like that you would demand your money back.

Lego isn't AMT, Revell or Tamiya. They're also not Palmer, so you don't have to demand your money back either. 

You're missing the point of LEGO. :-)   It's not easy to design a model using the LEGO brick geometry.  Many years ago I passed up a nifty book on various models built in the style seen at the LEGO Land parks.  You have to get creative to get curvy contours with bricks.  :-)

Yes, LEGO sets are models.  For example, the Titanic is a model of the real thing, said to be 1:200 scale.

16 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Yes, LEGO sets are models.  For example, the Titanic is a model of the real thing, said to be 1:200 scale.

I also have a bit of a problem with LEGO "models".  Sure, I can call them models, but they are not true "scale models". Due to the materials they use (plastic blocks), the are mere representation of the 1:1 object.  Even the 1:200 scale Titanic is just rough representation of the ship in 1:200 scale.  To me a scale model is an object that accurately represent some 1:1 scale item.  The details, it surface appearance and colors should very closely resemble the 1:1 item.  LEGO models have surface that looks like it is made from bricks, and many details are out of scale or not very accurate.  It is just the nature of LEGO blocks.

Compare the appearance of a LEGO model 1:200 Titanic with Trumpeter 1:200 scale model Titanic and decide for yourself.

20211028-PAGEONE-titanic-logo-1024x576.j

img_2624.jpg

Yes both are models of Titanic, but that is where the similarity ends.

However both types of models require skill and patience to complete.  There is nothing wrong with a LEGO creation of someone is into LEGO hobby.

Edited by peteski

I said LEGO builds were models, I never said they were supposed to be finely detailed or exact scale.

I had just visited the LEGO website, where they mentioned the scale, so I just threw that in my post, FWIW.

In the end it doesn't matter.  People are building, and a little public exposure can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I said LEGO builds were models, I never said they were supposed to be finely detailed or exact scale.

I had just visited the LEGO website, where they mentioned the scale, so I just threw that in my post, FWIW.

In the end it doesn't matter.  People are building, and a little public exposure can only be a good thing.

I have not disputed that, and I also wrote "There is nothing wrong with a LEGO creation of someone is into LEGO hobby. "

3 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

If you don't want to call Legos models that's fine, just be aware that others do call them models and that is also fine. 

Please reread my original post.  I never stated that Legos aren't models.  I actually mentioned multiple times that Legos *ARE* models, just not what I consider scale models.  I also provided photos, and written explanation why I don't think Legos are scale models.  'nuff said.

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Not exactly Lego but Lego compatible:

20211101_011127.jpg

OK, unlike the Lego Titanic, I would consider this Lego-like snap kit a scale model.  But it is because its pieces (unlike generic Lego blocks) are purposfully made to assemble into this specific model.

8 hours ago, peteski said:

Please reread my original post.  I never stated that Legos aren't models.  I actually mentioned multiple times that Legos *ARE* models, just not what I consider scale models.  I also provided photos, and written explanation why I don't think Legos are scale models.  'nuff said.

I don't see the difference between "models" and "scale models". It would seem Legos are both. :D

46 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I don't see the difference between "models" and "scale models". It would seem Legos are both. :D

I used the term "scale model" vs. just a "model" (along with explanation of what each is to me) to try to demonstrate the difference. It is not some official definition. The photos I posted very clearly show the difference.  If you don't see the difference, then these is no point of me trying to explain it any further.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

Upside of our usual models, they don’t hurt so much when you step on one. 👍🏼

Physically, no... but I'd be mighty hurt and upset if I stepped on any of the models that are currently in my display cabinet!

Personally, having built all three of the big Lego Technic cars (GT3, Chiron and Sian) I'd say they are fascinating and enjoyable to work on, cool things to look at when they are finished, but most importantly I've built them as as a family activity over a few months each around the dining table with my wife and kids, and THAT time is priceless...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree Matt. Time with daughter and son building worth it, and it’s easier to have completed work that’s nice. 
Here’s a couple models/representations/rivet free assemblies🤔😎 The GT is a Megabloks kit. We have the ones you mentioned too. 
Westfalia camper opens up roof with canvas, tables, bunks, etc. Tom G will like it if he doesn’t have one. 
The Opera House has business card in lower left to gauge size. All these built by my kids with me sorting parts  6582CE39-D5CE-4994-8B91-FEAA0AF56BE6.thumb.jpeg.c030a18f96b2dfb538c7328c38e346d1.jpegF2B438F5-0546-4A0B-B38D-5D7F552E57EA.thumb.jpeg.68aff8b98b09c768f3a2be37953cdb24.jpeg24F7774F-022A-478C-9A90-AC3D237EACE2.thumb.jpeg.05a391483f4341b9c8e8f05194ed6e86.jpegD782A0C7-A631-46D8-BF70-600E18411185.thumb.jpeg.02855eb540d305887defb6ff07e55f90.jpegADB84338-E197-4257-98E9-9A3431D5E39D.jpeg.00d087ffefc2a91fb7175671cc75a37c.jpeg

In another forum, I've been following a gentleman who is building a large scale Bugatti from scratch.  Not just modeling, but attempting to duplicate all the processes that went into the original.   Occaisionally, he opines about what "real modeling" is, and just so you know, it's not what we're doing either.

I'm going to suggest, there's room for all sorts of modeling, and we should be careful when we start talking about who is and isn't a "real" modeler.

• Thanks 2