Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project x converted to ev

Thank goodness I wasn't familiar with Project X and therefore don't have an attachment to it nor do I have preconceived notions regarding what it should be. 🙄

Also, thankfully I'm open-minded enough to find all types of motive power of interest.  Technology is cool.  The history of technology is cool.

Why limit oneself?

Why does just about every thread involving electric vehicles turn into a rant against their existence?  Enough already.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Quick question...if one of the model kit manufacturers offered a replica of the GM (or Ford, or aftermarket) "electric crate motor package" (in other words, everything needed to convert an older car or truck) as a parts pack, who would buy one?

I'd buy one or two for sure.

Build one of these perhaps.

211103153622-ford-f100-electric-concept-truck.jpg.83da1c6cae520b35e5dc71a0b75cb5b1.jpg

all-electric-ford-f-100-eluminator-concept-truck-03.jpg.63a4976fca2594a7d64301e9f57daf90.jpg

88cea42e-80ee-4c5d-b48e-c6648666d267-All-electric_Ford_F-100_Eluminator_concept_truck_02.jpg.5e2d8552feab05d550846b093352117e.jpg

11125.JPG.5f16f83fb93d7df286dfea52b5bc4672.JPG

all-electric-ford-f-100-eluminator-concept-truck-09-jpg-1635879868.jpg.4d6b429510b59b47d0b082a894e00029.jpg

1978-f-100-eluminator-concept-cabin.jpg.e96cf817b9564f8d85134925addefe94.jpg

• Like 1

Had (a lot) more of the country had been electrified (with a standard system) prior to automobiles becoming available to the masses, we'd likely have had electrics all along.  But most homes were still using oil lamps, and in the refining of oil for home lamps they wound up with a lot of gasoline, which was regarded as a by-product with few uses before there were gasoline engines and automobiles to use up the stuff (instead of dumping it, which was done back then).

A big part of the push is coming from the top down, which is easy to dislike.  But it is coming, like it or not.

The companies developing conversion packages are trying to get on the bandwagon early.  The ones who come up with an affordable and versatile package are going to make money hand over fist.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

...The companies developing conversion packages are trying to get on the bandwagon early.  The ones who come up with an affordable and versatile package are going to make money hand over fist.

Especially if they can wrangle enough kickback-fueled "mandates" to make conversion mandatory...   ;)

3 hours ago, 4mula1fan said:

Someone said how would country folk survive in a desolate area. City folk don't care. 

Those whom wield power at least . I hold zero pull , but I try to think of all possible angles (not possible to think of every angle) : just because an edict doesn't affect me , doesn't mean that it won't cause sufferance by others .

11 hours ago, Mark said:

...if one of the model kit manufacturers offered a replica of the .. "electric crate motor package" .. as a parts pack, who would buy one?

Absolutely not, there's no visual interest to it. Spark plug wires, radiator / other coolant hoses, vacuum lines, air hoses, carburetor linkages, shift linkages, exhaust headers, air intakes, all neat to look at ... vs a basic cylinder or box shape with a few wires sticking out.

8 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

... if we get to the point where carbon dioxide can be cheaply and reliably harvested from the air ...

From what I've read of that notion, it sounds like an uphill struggle that has a near vertical slope. The air is mostly nitrogen and oxygen with CO2 being far down the scale after argon. It's a struggle just to find it in the first place, and imagine the size of the vacuum cleaners for the task. On top of all that, the plants and trees need it for photosynthesis, so if it's reduced, everything starts to wither away. Commercial greenhouse plant growers add it into their buildings, it's one big reason why the plants are as fluffy as they are.

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Quick question...if one of the model kit manufacturers offered a replica of the GM (or Ford, or aftermarket) "electric crate motor package" (in other words, everything needed to convert an older car or truck) as a parts pack, who would buy one?

Honestly, depending on the application, it could be interesting.   I’d probably put in a low and slow lead sled type cruiser if it were the system that GM put in Project X, it would be more power than the typical cars used for such projects made from the factory, if it has any kind of Regen built into it, hitting the major cruise spots would work for slowing is and lessen the depletion of the energy used to propel it, since you don’t just burn off electricity while citing at a light or in traffic and Regen would put a little power back into the battery while slowing down.  I have seen where some would want to put them in the big 70’s land yachts with the early emissions controls, which would keep a quiet , cushy nature of the vehicles while once again, giving more power that they left the factories with, even if they had big blocks in them.  If I was going to do something like that, I’d rather build a dual motor van with a lot of battery, similar to what white F-100 with the Mach-E motor/gear box assemblies and batteries.  

Sounds like Holley must be seeing something big for EVs too,  if only are starting to develop EV conversion pieces, they’re also doing an EV oriented event this weekend that will be  like their LS Fest, Ford Fest, and Mopar Fest events,  but targeting EV owners and converters instead.  From what I have been seeing with Bisi from Bisimoto, he has been working with AEM on the EV conversions he’s been involved in and is part of that bonkers Porsche 935 Kremmer body kitted and Tesla powered EV conversion that started as a basket case 911 or 912 that was just baking away in somebody’s back yard when he got it to build…….and keep in mind, this guy built a 1000hp, stick shift Honda Odyssey minivan too.

IMHO, the next logical step would be an EFI Chevy LS and computer controlled 6-speed auto. Something that can go like heck when you stomp on the gas, but have reliability and decent. fuel economy. Something that can get the groceries and go the distance on a Hot Rod Power Tour. Of course, it’s not my car. 

18 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Thank goodness I wasn't familiar with Project X and therefore don't have an attachment to it nor do I have preconceived notions regarding what it should be. 🙄

Also, thankfully I'm open-minded enough to find all types of motive power of interest.  Technology is cool.  The history of technology is cool.

Why limit oneself?

Why does just about every thread involving electric vehicles turn into a rant against their existence?  Enough already.

Though I agree to a certain extent (having been involved in alt-fuels, including a few electric conversions, for decades), there is some "technology" that's just plain stupid. And believing that replacing the entire global ICE-powered vehicle fleet with electrics will somehow save the "environment" is beyond stupid.

There's also a common problem these days with vast overcomplication, apparently simply for the sake of complication...or the designers just don't know any better. The KISS principle is largely unheard of, far as I can tell.

If a framing hammer was built like what I see daily as reflecting much of today's engineering mindset, it would cost $150, have 35 moving parts, need to be updated every few weeks, and replaced entirely every few years with something even more unnecessarily complex.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Though I agree to a certain extent (having been involved in alt-fuels, including a few electric conversions, for decades), there is some "technology" that's just plain stupid. And believing that replacing the entire global ICE-powered vehicle fleet with electrics will somehow save the "environment" is beyond stupid.

There's also a common problem these days with vast overcomplication, apparently simply for the sake of complication...or the designers just don't know any better. The KISS principle is largely unheard of, far as I can tell.

If a framing hammer was built like what I see daily as reflecting much of today's engineering mindset, it would cost $150, have 35 moving parts, need to be updated every few weeks, and replaced entirely every few years with something even more unnecessarily 

Couldn't be said any better. 

21 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If a framing hammer was built like what I see daily as reflecting much of today's engineering mindset, it would cost $150, have 35 moving parts, need to be updated every few weeks, and replaced entirely every few years with something even more unnecessarily complex.

I'll bet you could buy such a thing in Germany today! B):lol:

Honestly I think this electric car thing is just a fad. Look at how much money is generated from fuel sales each year and how it's distributed by each state, I don't see the US giving up that much money. 

If everyone living in America owned an ev  the power grid would never be able to support the demand especially when you consider some families own multiple vehicles and would be charging more than one. What about long distance trips in that ev? Charging times will be another issue.  I think it's a bad attempt at trying to reinvent the wheel.. 

Edited by Scott8950
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scott8950 said:

...If everyone living in America owned an ev  the power grid would never be able to support the demand especially when you consider some families own multiple vehicles and would be changing more than one. 

Yup, that's the one great big fly in the ointment.

But the majority of the advocates of this silliness don't seem to have any understanding of the world of physical reality, with pesky things like numbers and facts to distract them from their virtue-signaling and posturing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LDO said:

IMHO, the next logical step would be an EFI Chevy LS and computer controlled 6-speed auto. Something that can go like heck when you stomp on the gas, but have reliability and decent. fuel economy. Something that can get the groceries and go the distance on a Hot Rod Power Tour. Of course, it’s not my car. 

That's basically what was just taken out of it, blown LS made to sort of look like the engine it had during it's Hollywood Knights appearance.

11 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But the majority of the advocates of [ Electric Vehicles ]  don't seem to have any understanding of the world of physical reality, with pesky things like numbers and facts to distract them from their virtue-signaling and posturing.

Precisely . They only kind of  understand the on-paper theory ; they have zero  practical , real-world understanding of applied-theory .  

The element of virtue signalling is beyond obnoxious . If anything , it causes rational-thinking folks to recoil in flabbergast at the level of asinine assertions .

• Haha 1

A lot of people of a certain age like to lump those who support EVs into the same group. In reality, you have the EV fan boys. Those are the ones who worship Elon Musk and Steve Jobs, and blindly accept everything they do as being innovative and amazing. Even though their precious Tesla (although very cool, and very fast) is kind of a quality nightmare. 

Then you have the realists, which is where I feel I land. I like the idea of EVs. I am all for vehicles with performance improvements and EVENTUALLY environmental improvements too. But the industry is nowhere near that yet. The infrastructure required to support mass adoption of EV vehicles just isn't there yet. But it will be. And the charging times need to come down significantly. And the range needs to improve. And all of that will come eventually. Earlier this year, the Canadian gov't has introduced and passed a bill that will see all new vehicles 1/2 ton or smaller be required to have an EV powertrain. No gas or diesel unless it's a larger truck or van. And that was scheduled to go into effect by 2030. Or maybe it was 2035. Can't recall. But we have some time to figure it out. And I believe European countries have mandates coming into effect much sooner. So far, most European marques have said that by the end of the decade they will be entirely EV powered, or will be almost fully EV powered.

Personally, I'm not willing to adjust my driving style or habits to suit a vehicle. A vehicle has to fit my lifestyle. That means it needs to be able to do my usual commute, which is 70% highway/30% city. It needs to be able to tow our trailer. It needs to be able to fit a family of four and a dog and our stuff. It needs to be able to venture off pavement for a weekend of adventure and hiking and camping. From May through September this year I had a new Ford F150 Limited with the hybrid engine. Overall, I was disappointed. Plenty of power, could tow our trailer with ease, fit all of us, etc. put around 16,000km on it during that time. Average fuel economy was around 11.5L/100km, which matched that of the Sierra 1500 AT4 with the 6.2L engine I had in early 2020. It took $140CDN to fill the tank, and that would get me about 900km, with about 200km of that in pure electric mode. Overall, not the improvement I would have hoped for with this powertrain.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what the future is bringing us.

• Like 1

Many questions here in the UK haven't been answered by government who want us to change to EV in the next 20 years (I shall be 93!). They talk about getting rid of what is possibly our last coal mine and coal powered power stations. Recently they were talking about shutting one of only three or so Nuclear Power stations because it's old fashioned. It's new Nuclear Power stations we need if we are to go electric only! People will come home from work (those who don't work from home already) plug in their cars and have no energy left to light their houses or cook a meal! 

Adversely we have a new company about 20 miles away that have already changed road cars from fuel to electric, Jaguar E Type (the car the Harry and Meghan used after their wedding) Porches both 911 and 356. The 356 is twice as fast, faster! Also Buses, trucks, taxi's and small city delivery vans etc.  They all have something we don't personally like that's automatic gearboxes or a variant of it.

But change we are going to do to save the Earth for our future generations, like it or not!