Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford F100 Kart Hauler

My latest Moebius Effie is a done deal, even though I started it ages ago. A frame rebuild, grille change, and second bed had to happen but I finally got it done. 

Base kit is the '65 long Styleside. It was lowered with a spring-over "flip" and notched frame rails in the rear. Up front, the stock crossmember was reworked to accept a Mustang II style front suspension constructed of NASCAR Thunderbird parts. With the shortish BF Goodrich radials this is about as low as you can get one of these without major "clearancing" of the fenders. The engine is the Laethem supercharged Lincoln 430 MEL from the AMT '25 Model T... pick a version, they all have it. The kit transmission was cut away and the engine was joined to the 4 speed manual from the Moebius kit. The engine also uses the Moebius FE oil pan. 

spacer.png

The grille was opened to accept the custom insert from an AMT '49 Mercury. Originally it had the "bullet" insert from an old Revell parts pack but I decided I liked it better for another project. The front bumper came from an AMT '53 F100. It had a molding defect that made one end look a little tweaked, so I left it that way. 

spacer.png

Everybody loves short beds, and I don't get why. In addition to being slightly less useful, they always look stubby to me. Even in extended or crew cab form. There really need to be more low long beds. :D Here you can see the helmet flopped over the tall shifter, which came from one of the AMT '25 T kits. Again, any version.

spacer.png

At the business end there isn't much to see other than a scratch built roll pan. I toyed with filling in the stock tail lights and adding a '66 Thunderbird tail light but opted against it in the end. 

spacer.png

In addition to the wiring and the previously mentioned oil pan and transmission, the Lincoln also has a drive belt for the alternator taken from the Moebius kit engine, as the supercharged Lincoln only offers a blower drive belt when built that way. The dual chamber cylinder with booster is included in the '65 kit- it's a leftover piece from the Bumpside kits. The Optima battery is a 3D printed part from Pro Street Hobbies.

spacer.png

The Kart and rack are from the '60 Chevy pickup kit, while the tool box and gas can are from a '60 Ranchero. You can also see the factory Tahitian Turquoise paint on full display in the bed (along with the firewall and interior). The kart is painted in Testors Lime Ice, same as the truck.  It isn't visible in the photo but there's a fuel filler door in the bed floor which feeds into a midship tank from a '92 F150. 

Since I've been asked at least a dozen times, I now pose a question- would a how-to on lowering these kits be of use to anyone? I've done it a few different ways and if there's significant interest I just may have to cobble up a thread in the Workbench section and show how the sausage is made in that particular regard. 

Man that turned out really kewl.  Stance and color looks pretty nice.  Any lower and you would have to bag it.  That helmet on the shifter looks kewl.  I like the cart in the back.  I still have one of those carts but just haven't decided what to do with it.  

I like the way you finished the paint. You can see that there was a color change in the past and this road warier has seen some miles from the chipped paint. The engine is a great idea. Long beds ride a lot smoother as well.