Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell Surfite

Casey

2C22E983-01C6-4B9F-B480-4CDBA7AE8A8B.jpeg

B92A2B22-F4B7-4A77-99DD-C1F551A58E04.jpeg

Here’s two pix of mine, built when this kit came back from the dead. It is typical wonky Revell of it’s era. Ambitiously complicated with full detail with fiddly fragile parts. Loads of seams and ejector pins to fix. Assembly reveals gaps to fill between body, bumpers and interior fit. It was work but nothing we can’t handle.

The Tiki Hut was fun and I enjoyed the detail painting here.

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 1

The kit was originally announced as "twice the size of 1/25 scale", apparently meaning 1/12.  It was changed to 1/25 to match all the other Roth car kits, the hut was probably added to put more plastic in the box to justify pricing this kit the same as the other cars.

3 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

Steve, do you have any pics of the Tiki Hut and any hints on painting it? Thanks.

Vince, here's another shot that shows a bit more of the hut. I built this quite a few years back, so kinda hard to remember exactly what I did, but I think I generally just tried to copy what the box art looked like. I mixed an appropriate shade of brown for the thatched parts, then went over it with a dark wash that settled into the cracks. Then painted the stuff on top of that, like the curtain, guitar, etc. Finally you want the whole thing to look dull & flat, because nothing will kill the realism of something like this than shininess.

Surfite LR  

8 hours ago, Mark said:

the hut was probably added to put more plastic in the box to justify pricing this kit the same as the other cars.

Exactly!  As Bob Paeth explained it to me at GSL one year!  The hut was an afterthought when they saw how little plastic was sitting in that standard size box!

Just now, Casey said:

I don't think it's being reissued? 

I guess looking at this and seeing what everyone had done with it I thought it was being reissued. My problem now is after looking at what others have done with it I now want one. Not enough to pay stupid money for it though. 

11 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

This One of Roth's weirdest little show rods ,I remember seeing this kit going for $600.00 on Ebay many years ago The original kit , 

I remember that too! And R&R did a limited edition resin, signed by Roth for more than I wanted to spend.

So in 1993 I jumped in the reissue. It was the first time I could get a previously rare kit for $15.  It felt strange digging in and building it!