Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1973 Ford Mustang

doorsovdoon

1 minute ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great progress Gareth. The interior and exterior colour combination will look excellent, certainly of its time!

Is the Vauxhall colour a recent one, or from the 1970s/80s?

Thanks Nigel. Not sure to be honest. I can't say I've seen any new Vauxhalls, or any modern car, in this colour.

This is the inspiration for this car. I'd love to have made it look exactly like it, but unfortunately it doesn't come with any Mach 1 decals. Pretty gutted really cos I'm super happy with how good it has turned out to look, only to slap on some absolutely rubbish decals. Even if they were fresh they look kind of half arsed.

1973 Yellow Mustang.jpg

DSC01917.JPG

19 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

This is the inspiration for this car. I'd love to have made it look exactly like it, but unfortunately it doesn't come with any Mach 1 decals. Pretty gutted really cos I'm super happy with how good it has turned out to look, only to slap on some absolutely rubbish decals. Even if they were fresh they look kind of half arsed.

1973 Yellow Mustang.jpg

DSC01917.JPG

The only viable options are either decals from Rayskits or Keith Marks unless you can get someone to make custom decals.  I like the vinyl roof - you don’t see many real sportsroof with that option.

Vinyl roofs, especially on GM cars, were responsible for a lot of otherwise nice cars going to the scrap heap. Rear window rust through leading to floor and lower quarters rusting out.

Was 1973 the only year you could order a vinyl roof on a Mustang sportsroof? 

15 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Vinyl roofs, especially on GM cars, were responsible for a lot of otherwise nice cars going to the scrap heap. Rear window rust through leading to floor and lower quarters rusting out.

Was 1973 the only year you could order a vinyl roof on a Mustang sportsroof? 

Yeah, they destroyed a lot of cars that would otherwise have survived. Not sure about the Mustang but there were companies that would do aftermarket vinyl roofs for any car back then. I have old car magazines from the 70's that advertise the service, one showing a picture of an E-Type Jaguar of all cars! Lol

As predicted, the side decals got destroyed from trying to remove them from the backing paper, they stuck to my fingers just fine though, Lol. Looking through my spare decal sheets I might be able to make something up using some side stripes from the Revell '68 Mustang, the AMT '66 Ford Fairlane, and the AMT '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone, what a mix! I have tried searching for decals but nothing available in the UK, so again it's make do and mend when it comes to kit building here.

DSC01918.JPG

DSC01919.JPG

The more I looked at the hood decals the more I hated them, they just didn't look right so I decided to strip it. I don't have any hood decals big enough or the right shape to use so I'll just paint it flat black and call it done. I'm actually glad the body decals fell apart now cos I wasn't keen on them to start with, they just looked wrong, I'd probably be stripping the whole car now if they survived!

DSC01926.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

The hood is really starting to pee me off now. There is this crack like line that keeps appearing where paint wont stick. I've tried everything, from brake cleaner, paint thinners, filler primer and body filler yet this line keeps coming through. 

Bummer on the hood and old decals.  I saw this picture on Facebook and you can see the decals peeling on the front fender. The builder did the vinyl roof just like yours.  I think one of the AMT or MPC version had a set of the correct stripes but I cannot remember which one.

If you decide to paint the hood semi-gloss black it can be masked and painted by hand.  I never had any luck with the hood decals that are supposed to cover 2/3 of the hood and over the scoops.  Also attached is a picture of a 73 Sportsroof I built with no decals for a nice clean look.

CCD42B64-158D-4300-94C3-FEC92FA19A70.jpeg

192085ED-BF41-4ADA-B54B-ACBDF4EEDBBD.jpeg

11F820B5-4ACD-46E2-A8EA-A0DC85B3A252.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Thanks guys. Those are nice builds there! I might try and mask the hood but at this point I just want to get it done cos I'm still getting that weird line showing through. I'm going to completely gouge out that area and replace it with some styrene, if that fails I'm going to put this build on hold and call it a day.

DSC01949.JPG

2 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks guys. Those are nice builds there! I might try and mask the hood but at this point I just want to get it done cos I'm still getting that weird line showing through. I'm going to completely gouge out that area and replace it with some styrene, if that fails I'm going to put this build on hold and call it a day.

DSC01949.JPG

That is strange.  I have had issues puttying in the vents and the underside where there’s a recessed rectangular area for a hood scoop but not what you describe.