Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1962-1964 Grand Prix

The moderator said I got off track on the Avanti thread.  I'm guilty as charged, so here is the GP topic.  No one seems to know what happened to this tooling.  It may have met the great dumpster in the sky along with the '64 Bonneville and Wildcat.  I have the promo and it has good detail.

Modify the '62 Catalina Super Duty kit.  Use the chassis and glass, add the GP grille.  The Super Duty engine was used in only 16 of the '62 Grand Prix, but it was available.  The 8-lug wheels could come out of the '65 GP kit, and so could a tri-power engine.  Tool a different body and interior.  Also tool different bodies, interiors and glass for '63 and '64.  Is the demand there for all three years?  I think it is.  

1962_pontiac_grand_prix_1599601447e4d94b7850b619d0DSC00890.jpg?fit=940%2C627

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The moderator said I got off track on the Avanti thread.  I'm guilty as charged...

Me too.

The '63 has particular appeal for me, as my parents really wanted one way back then.

I don't remember what happened, but we ended up with a '63 Olds 88 convert instead, which I still have (after tracking it to Texas and bringing it back here).

The clean styling of the '63 is so different from what had been expected from Pontiac just a few years earlier, with a ton of ornamentation.

Car Style Critic: Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman: Early ...

1963 Pontiac Grand Prix | Pontiac bonneville, Pontiac ...

• Like 1

Bill,

That is awesome to have been able to track the 88 down, a car that was sharp in its own right.  My folks' planned to buy an 88 hardtop, but the salesman wouldn't budge on the price so Dad ordered a '63 LeSabre 2-door hardtop instead.  I drove it while I was a senior in high school.  I wish I had it today.

• Like 1

My folks left us at grandma's while they went to the Pontiac dealer, dad wanted the new GTO.  Mom prevailed and they came back with a shiny red/black interior '64 Grand Prix.  I learned to drive, parallel park, and got my license in that car, wish I still had it.  Kudos to Bill for getting his back.

• Like 1

64 Grand Prix here too! I was 13 and had fits for the new GTO. Parents left me at home and told they were going to the Pontiac dealer for a new car. I told them to get a GTO. Mom called later and said they got a new Pontiac. I asked if it was a GTO and she  no as I had a little sisteter and they neded a bigger car. She said they got a GP! I was pumped. I said does it have a 421? She said "What's a 421?"

Never saw the window sticker and did not see a 421 emblem on the side of the front fenders. It was pretty fast with whateever it had under the hood.

I had started the AMT model but it was lost along the way.

Both Shawn Carpenter and Missing Link produced resin '62 GP's for use with the AMT-Ertl '62 Catalina, I have both and they are both very well done.  One of them is painted, BareMetaled, and the engine finished....someday it will be completed....

I did an article for Scale Auto on BareMetal application techniques using the above project; it prompted letters/questions/emails from readers who wanted a copy for themselves.  At the time, IIRC, Shawn had stopped casting his, and the same at Missing Link.  Missing Link would have had to produce a new mold (the original was no longer usable), and they had other higher priority uses for their time.  I don't believe it has ever gone back into production.  

I also have a resin '63 and '67 GP.  The '67 was Modelhaus, the '63 may have been Modelhaus or MCW, I can't recall which  

Sharp thread, thanks for starting it, Jim.   TIM 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

IIRC of this kit only the clear shot survived and mistakenly found it's way into the prestige '65 G/P

Actually was in the original Grand Slam kit. I remember sending a letter to C/S about wrong glass. Got correct glass in a few weeks. Funny it had same issue years later. 

• Like 1

The factory aluminum wheels have replaces the Cragars since these pics had been taken.

IMG 2733

IMG 2738

Plus I scored this lot since.

IMG 3104

IMG 3105

IMG 3103

So, I'm good for '64s for a while but any '66 through '68 would be very cool. I know only the '67 has been done in resin but one can hope. 😏 

Edited by Can-Con

A ´63 Pontiac would certainly make my day 
But, as expressed before,  my wish would be a SD Catalina, stock plus parts and decals for proper race cars, both drag and NASCAR
With info in the instruction sheet how and where to drill a Swiss cheese
(suppose the NASCAR cars were not as much worked on in this aspect for strength reasons ?).

53 minutes ago, kjohan said:

A ´63 Pontiac would certainly make my day 
But, as expressed before,  my wish would be a SD Catalina, stock plus parts and decals for proper race cars, both drag and NASCAR
With info in the instruction sheet how and where to drill a Swiss cheese
(suppose the NASCAR cars were not as much worked on in this aspect for strength reasons ?).

You are 100% right. A Swiss cheese 421 Super Duty drag car with directions for drilling or even already drilled! Gotta have the famous 421 emblems on the side of the front fenders already molded in or at least a decal.

I love these cars and Yes, I would want to see these issued. I have a personal interest in these cars.

My dad used to tell me stories of both the '63 GP and the '64 Bonneville that he owned new. One story of how the driver of a 2 door Corvair pulled out of a driveway in front of him and became the owner of a Three-door Corvair!