Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70s Short Body R.E. Dragster (05/22/2022)

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

It's interesting to note the two different fuel tank locations, in these photos. I have read some pretty wild stories about "The Last Drag Race" at Lions! Tom West was a great guy. He's truly missed. Thanks again for sharing these!

Your very welcome, There are more pictures of short bodywork cars at Archive.petersen.org under 1972 NHRA Supernationals. It's great site.

Edgar

19 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Your very welcome, There are more pictures of short bodywork cars at Archive.petersen.org under 1972 NHRA Supernationals. It's great site.

Edgar

Agreed! That is an excellent resource. I may have to go lose myself there, for a while!

2 hours ago, MADmodelDOCTOR said:

Really great stuff man! I want a set of those Donovan heads and valve covers. The Rain For Rent car's home was a 2_car garage.

Thanks, Kenneth! The valve covers came from the Piranha. I am using a set of 392 heads--unless I decide to build a set of proper Donovan heads. It's pretty cool, where some of those cars came from. Surfers from a motel garage! 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:12 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks, Kenneth! The valve covers came from the Piranha. I am using a set of 392 heads--unless I decide to build a set of proper Donovan heads. It's pretty cool, where some of those cars came from. Surfers from a motel garage! 

No S, man!

5 hours ago, Codi said:

Most assuredly following along Daniel & thanks for sharing the info on the Peterson site.  cheers, tim

Thanks, Tim. Glad to see you looking in!

2 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nice project and fabrication work!

Thanks, much, Dennis.

1 hour ago, James2 said:

Great subject for a project, you have my attention...

It should be a fun one! I've had a delay (sort of) with this project. I say "sort of", because I am reworking some parts, to mold and cast for it, that I may want extras of, in the future. 

Speaking of parts, while looking for parts, for this, I rediscovered that the Piranha has a pretty nice Schieffer mag in it...

I got the molds made, and cast some valve covers. I tried some "mad science"--I know they make powders specifically for adding a metal cast to resin parts. I didn't have any of that. but, I do have some aluminum powder, and two different tones of bronze powder. I tossed a little of a couple of the powders into one "side" of the resin, and stirred it in, before mixing the two together. It worked out, pretty well. I may have to experiment with some other colors. 

I also got the slicks reshaped, and decaled. I still need to flat coat them. Up next, the motor plate, then, on to getting the axles mounted, so I can get it on the wheels. To that end, I made jigs, for both 32 and 40 spoke wheels. We'll see how that goes! As always, questions, comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking! 

2DSC_0009cr.jpg

2DSC_0014cr.jpg

2DSC_0019cr.jpg

2DSC_0023cr.jpg

2DSC_0026cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent progress with this!

Great work with the castings, the wheels are coming along nicely too.

David G.

Thanks, kindly, David! I find myself casting something, with every project, anymore, it seems. Somehow, this thing's gone off the "rails of simplicity". Weird. That never happens!🤣

As I continue to compile parts for the engine, I discovered a couple of things that caused me to slap myself in the head, in one of those "I could have had a V-8!" moments. I'm not sure how I never noticed that the Piranha has  a nice "Frankenstein" mag. Miss Deal's timing cover appears to be a Donovan unit. If it's not--it's very close! Here are a few better shots of the pegs I installed to help align the heads, and keep them in place, once they're permanently installed. I did an initial, quick test of the spoke lacing jig. It's a game-changer, perhaps. Thanks to Mike Woellner for that handy tip.

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0008crb.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:43 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Thanks, kindly, David! I find myself casting something, with every project, anymore, it seems. Somehow, this thing's gone off the "rails of simplicity". Weird. That never happens!🤣

You know yourself well Daniel!  You are way too detail oriented for simple builds, even your box stock builds are examples of "little added details that make all the difference".

It's not for everyone, but it's a treat for fans of the genre and I'm one of them... 😁

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You know yourself well Daniel!  You are way too detail oriented for simple builds, even your box stock builds are examples of "little added details that make all the difference".

It's not for everyone, but it's a treat for fans of the genre and I'm one of them... 😁

Me too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Yes, Francis--as you know, it's a fine thing to be afflicted with! Those details were what drew me to your work, as well, my friend!

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Those aluminum-infused resin parts came out GREAT!  I experimented with that technique a little but never got such nice pieces as yours.  

Enjoying this whole build!

Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it! I just figured "What the heck?", and dumped in some powder. It worked out, pretty well!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, Straightliner59 said:

As I continue to compile parts for the engine, I discovered a couple of things that caused me to slap myself in the head, in one of those "I could have had a V-8!" moments. I'm not sure how I never noticed that the Piranha has  a nice "Frankenstein" mag. Miss Deal's timing cover appears to be a Donovan unit. If it's not--it's very close! Here are a few better shots of the pegs I installed to help align the heads, and keep them in place, once they're permanently installed. I did an initial, quick test of the spoke lacing jig. It's a game-changer, perhaps. Thanks to Mike Woellner for that handy tip.

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0008crb.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

Daniel....any time I see a drag racing themed project frame set up on a piece of balsa wood with pins, I get really excited!  Very inspiring work, and great that you are sharing it with us step by step. 

Also, I've always viewed that AMT Piranha kit as having, in total, one of the most detailed and accurate early Hemi engines in a 1/25th scale box, especially when considering that the tool itself is now 55 (!) years old.  Glad to see you have found worthwhile engine parts there, as well as in the Miss Deal kit.  

Excellent progress and best wished bringing this one home.   TIM 

19 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Daniel....any time I see a drag racing themed project frame set up on a piece of balsa wood with pins, I get really excited!  Very inspiring work, and great that you are sharing it with us step by step. 

Also, I've always viewed that AMT Piranha kit as having, in total, one of the most detailed and accurate early Hemi engines in a 1/25th scale box, especially when considering that the tool itself is now 55 (!) years old.  Glad to see you have found worthwhile engine parts there, as well as in the Miss Deal kit.  

Excellent progress and best wished bringing this one home.   TIM 

Thank you, so much, for your kind words, Tim. They're meaningful, to me--something of a validation, maybe. Anyway, thanks! That really is a nice little engine! I've always been partial to Miss Deal's (it's my go-to '92), but, there's no loss, going with the Piranha engine. I'll try to keep this informative, and hope to have you along for the ride!

On 5/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, Straightliner59 said:

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0008crb.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

I really like what is going on here.  Anxious to see how your engine turns out.  Love the early Chrysler in drag cars.  Great parts collection.

I built a shorty version of the Garlits car back when the kit first came out (1971?) based on the Hot Rod coverage when it won the Winternationals.  Recently, I slammed one out of a box of already builts my modeling friend found for me. No decals yet...

DSCF4634.JPG.84b314989bf4d7d7a83217487f6bad14.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mvadrag said:

I really like what is going on here.  Anxious to see how your engine turns out.  Love the early Chrysler in drag cars.  Great parts collection.

I built a shorty version of the Garlits car back when the kit first came out (1971?) based on the Hot Rod coverage when it won the Winternationals.  Recently, I slammed one out of a box of already builts my modeling friend found for me. No decals yet...

That's cool, Jose! Looks like a fun project!

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '70s Short Body R.E. Dragster (05/22/2022)