Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ready for BOOT HILL EXPRESS - The DRIFT edition?...

Claude Thibodeau

On 6/10/2022 at 5:12 PM, espo said:

Defiantly looks up to date with the new suspension set up. Was the wood graining on the main carriage part of the kit or something you did? That would be a very strange sensation hanging off the front end and going into a drift. 

Hi David!

Thanks for the comments. All wood effect on the OUTSIDE of the hearse was done freehand. To your other point, I rather build them than drive them. Perillous location, to be certain!

CT

Fortunately, styrene exists to express the excesses of your limitless imagination.

You're obviously not the type of guy to throw away an old model that's collecting dust, that gives you the honorable title of Styrene's savior of the year!  This unusual vehicle may be street legal south of the border but it would not pass the test in Quebec.  Luckily, styrene and Claude are there to remedy this situation. 😊

Bravo my friend, nothing can surprise me anymore from you but you may have something else up your sleeve so I'm going to mentally prepare myself for your next opus (don't see any pressure here...). 👍

From an anonymous admirer. 😉

On 6/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, David G. said:

Very cool concept, very well planned out and executed.

It looks like it was meant to be that way Claude!

Excellent representation of the wood grain too.

David G.

Hi David!

Thanks for the compliments. I juggled for a while with the idea of putting a wing on the roof, a bit like some midget racers... but I felt it was a bit too much, and I left the antique hearse roof "decorations" in place instead.

As you say, for it to look "meant to be that way". 

CT

Claude, you’ve outdone yourself sir. As you know, I love your builds and the imagination used to pull off these masterpieces.
This one…. WICKED!!  What a creative update for this kit, with your usual clean execution, and sense of humour. I have to think that this one made you smile while you were building it? I love the whole thing, but what really stands out is the beautiful paint to create the “woodwork”. Amazing! Another beauty my friend.

Cheers, Steve

On 6/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

Granted, this model answers a question that nobody (but yours truly) ever asked: What would the legendary Boot Hill Express look like if it was "modernized"?

Well, here comes... the Boot Hill Drifter! 

Got rid of the stage coach suspensions and front perch. Threw in the chassis of Buttera's T, with magnificient IFS & IRS, a roll bar, racing seat and harness, a pedal platform for the gas & brake, plus a shifter and radiator. The steering column is linked to a R&P steering. Gummy tires. And lower the whole thing as much as possible. 

Feasible? Be informed that the original showcar was a driver, even got drag raced. So, why not? It currently resides at the Speedway Museum in Nebraska.

I stand ready for requests by the producers of the next Fast & Hilarious for a cameo appearance. Wanna bet?

Seriously, I built the car as a teen, and had to give it a second shot. While sparing the horse buggy undercarriage remnants, and keep the three most significant features: The hearse body, the swoopy exhausts and the looooooong injector stacks. 

Hope you like it. I certainly had fun building it!

CT

DSC01517 (2).JPG

DSC01500 (2).JPG

DSC01501 (2).JPG

DSC01504 (2).JPG

DSC01505 (2).JPG

DSC01512 (2).JPG

DSC01514 (2).JPG

DSC01515 (2).JPG

DSC01516 (2).JPG

DSC01507 (2).JPG

Claude, that is just TOO COOL!!!!   This is the kind of originality in model car building that otherwise seems largely missing in today's world. 

Back in the day, this type of 3D "free thinking" was duly recognized and encouraged with the "Best Originality" awards in the MPC Contest Series (1969-79) and resulted in Denny Johnson's "Zingers" and trike models winning those awards and eventually becoming MPC kits!   

The use of the Revell Buttera suspensions and those killer wheels/tires are a great add here.  Big congrats!  TIM

6 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Claude, that is just TOO COOL!!!!   This is the kind of originality in model car building that otherwise seems largely missing in today's world. 

Back in the day, this type of 3D "free thinking" was duly recognized and encouraged with the "Best Originality" awards in the MPC Contest Series (1969-79) and resulted in Denny Johnson's "Zingers" and trike models winning those awards and eventually becoming MPC kits!   

The use of the Revell Buttera suspensions and those killer wheels/tires are a great add here.  Big congrats!  TIM

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated! 

The first wave of "zany" show-cars was rightfully centered around the notion that the car could be wild, but should also operate (drive-turn-brake). I remember vividly that the "bogus" variety was derided in car mags back then. Therefore, most ran (and dripped over the carpets, thank you!).

At the time of the second wave (bunk-beds, outhouse, etc.) it seemed that just anything could pass as a showcar. Not the best of time, IMHO. 

The Boot Hill was indeed operational, a second version was even drag raced. That's why I went along with this fantasy. Since I build 1/1 rods for clients, I tend to model things that would be "operational" in the real world. In this case, scary... but driveable nonetheless!

Finally, I'd like your critical analysis of a Bonneville streamliner that I posted on this very forum about a month ago. It's in the OTHER RACE CARS, and is titled FULMINE DI SODIO (it's Ferrari powered). It was quite a chore to package all that was needed in such a slim body. Hope you like it!

Keep at it, Sir. So much styrene, so little time...

CT 

I looked at the thread title and was prepared to do a bit of table thumping, old man shouts at clouds type stuff.

Wrong again, you really nailed it. The original shines through and your additions and modifications flow so smoothly that they just seem right. A beautiful build.