Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

So someone needs to tackle the #28 NART 250 LM.  This was an early LM - it’s first major competition - an electronic fault caused it to barbecue itself out by the runway … the logical kit would be the curbside Academy kit - with maybe a 12 cyl engine added - that would be nice - and maybe some printed Borranis  ? ?? Unless you’re stashing some MFH 250LM kits and you just don’t know what to do with  them …

D47BF22B-304E-45B3-A2A5-D5B2EDFEB5D8.jpeg

Ace posted a picture of the kit box artwork for his chosen build - the #23 Ferrari P 275 - that kit is based on this ‘65 slot car blister pack … there are some options for the P cars - we can get into these later - I’m wondering if anybody has kitted or produced the 330P - which had a slightly larger engine - I think - and a different tail … ???

E9F051E1-C00B-42A1-8AF2-A475F802F093.jpeg

035ED7BC-B3A1-44FE-8C5F-CE9BE1EF1A4D.jpeg

5BF1D363-43C3-4611-AD08-FBFC3E6B94DD.jpeg

On a previous page i posted couple of shots of Paul Fisher’s early Ferrari ‘64 GTO - here’s another one of Paul’s early castings -also now very rare-  the GTO LMB …. Also in the ‘64 12 Hours … - this one is in better resin than the GTO - but it has a little bit of roof sag - will require correction of

one of the windshield pillars -  but not a disaster - another rare subject - but did MFH produce one ? I think so … I started work on the body years ago and then got distracted by a stray Maserati or something - the LMB entry is still up for grabs for this build - unless I’m the only human being on this forum who wants to make one - no rush - let me know …

BD958C87-18EA-4D00-814B-FC908E466793.jpeg

6740CFD3-4CC1-4F7E-ADF0-C3AAC15E325B.jpeg

3173A82D-E3F1-4442-AFAE-B4CC24A8EC2F.jpeg

Andrew, you have so many of these kits it seems like you could build half the field!

I'm sure many among us want to participate but just do not have kits needed to do so. Anyhow, I'm happy I finally found one I could do (Cobra #1) and I hope participants will find suitable kits to fill the field.

This idea of a group build is great. Thanks for pulling us in.

Andy, reference the resin Ferrari labeled as ACME LMB.  I thought Paul used the Dragon label early on and Mike Quarterman used the ACME label before UMI.  I was told both the LMB and GTO were based on Japanese kits originally.  I do know Paul and Mike worked together on a number of projects so like the 166MM so anything was possible.

Maybe I should drop an email to  Paul to get this clarified - he’s not hiding - he’s just not producing or casting …. You are correct - Paul produced HIS first kits as “Dragon”.   But I’m pretty sure  that MQ never casted …. Then again - i live in Fl and he lived in Ca …  I actually did  meet him once many moons ago …. He had a wall of unbuilt resin kits in the garage behind his home that you wouldn’t believe …

oh wait …

Alright...Andy has sucked me in also!!!!

Looks like a good excuse to build a Ferrari 250 GTO.  Chassis# 3223GT entry #82 in the field. Larry Perkins owner/driver.

I pulled some candidates from the stash....

IMG_3396.thumb.JPG.f9fa8f98d3f99661588d0bc91a05dbb4.JPG

Been keeping this for just the right time.  A beautiful rendition of the V12 by Norm of R & M ....

IMG_3399.thumb.JPG.dd2732685f3b18b900c4fbeb3d083a71.JPG

I like your start Andy !!!

Randy

Alrighty then - Mr. Ditton of Colorado has stepped thu the door - and the door has slammed shut behind him …. #82 is yours - odd fender stripes and all - I like the Fujimi body - but the Protar had opening doors - spose you could fashion a couple of brass  door skins for the Fujimi - and I think you could source some 3D printed wheels - and Norman’s engine kits hold a place of honor above my workbench ….  Opologies - you can probably build 82 without my input ….  

35 minutes ago, absmiami said:

So both early series GTOs are spoken for - but we’ve got issues sourcing ‘64 GTO bodies right ?

let mE think about that - assuming I’d have takers for those entries if the bodies were available - right ?

If you're thinking of casting copies, I'm in for one, whatever the cost.  :D

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

So both early series GTOs are spoken for - but we’ve got issues sourcing ‘64 GTO bodies right ?

let mE think about that - assuming I’d have takers for those entries if the bodies were available - right ?

For the GTO64 there is the Jouef diecast and the K&B slot body slipped over a kit GTO  chassis.

Ferrari_GTO64_20201107_100447.jpg.d04220754b9205c36044ab19ad2d81be.jpg

"Looks like a good excuse to build a Ferrari 250 GTO.  Chassis# 3223GT entry #82 in the field. Larry Perkins owner/driver."

Randy :  have a look at Pete Lyons' site  -  82 practiced w/out those weird stripes over the right rear fender   -    

you DO have my permission [encouragement] to build 82 sans stripes ...

just sayin ...

slotcar sent me an email query   

just to clarify - I'm encouraging builders to post their pix on this thread and not on a separate thread - 

this will eventually cause chaos and mass confusion if enough forum members participate

kind of like trying to hold a 12 hour sports car race on a converted WWII airfield with concrete runways

not not not designed for sports car races  ...   ...

and won't that be fun ...

Gunze’s Elan kit is one of their best - i think it is better than their XKE kit and way better than their GTO kit … will make a nice Sebring Elan - but the intrepid builder will need to make that Kamm-back style roof - ive found one color photo - car looks like it was painted a sort of metalic - minty - green … a worthy build - who’s in ?

7FE124B6-9E91-4058-91C0-2C65F3995565.jpeg

8C28C9A2-91DC-40FA-87B9-C5B794D1CE83.jpeg

EA67F813-F077-48DC-8F85-2C5BD01B3A5A.jpeg