Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

Keystone-models.com

an on line seller fr Japan that I've purchased stuff from - has a few older MFH kits that may still be in his stock

and one of those is the Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ - Sebring 64 entries were numbers 53 and 55

no asking anyone to break their hobby budget for the sake of this thread ...

just sayin ...

2 hours ago, absmiami said:

that's almost IT  -  just a few details off - is this one of your builds, or a diecast - and is it 24th or 18th???

I'm looking at the tires and thinking it's a diecast ...

Andy....that is one of my builds. It was done using the recently released Revell of Germany FIA Cobra kit. I changed up the decals and a few other bits but it is mostly kit stock.  It was featured here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/162960-fia-289-cobra/#comment-2425584I am in a quandry. I have two models already built that would qualify and only require a few changes. I feel like it is cheating so guess what I did...I ordered one of those Lotus Elan kits.  Consider this one spoken for. Only thing is..the racing sports car site only has three  (no so good) pictures of this car.  Any research help would be appreciated. I may ask Pete too. He was there and may have some more pictures in his archives. 

RC:  very nice build

you WILL like the Gunze Lotus Elan kit  -  but take the trouble to work out that unusual roof ...

as for the Cobras -  who doesn't need another Cobra model ??

ten were entered in this race  - and only two are spoken for - once you are done with the Lotus - 

choose to build one of the entries not yet taken / started ...  you've got 17 months ...

Hurry !

27 minutes ago, absmiami said:

RC:  very nice build

you WILL like the Gunze Lotus Elan kit  -  but take the trouble to work out that unusual roof ...

as for the Cobras -  who doesn't need another Cobra model ??

ten were entered in this race  - and only two are spoken for - once you are done with the Lotus - 

choose to build one of the entries not yet taken / started ...  you've got 17 months ...

Hurry !

Andy....thanks...turns out I wanted that Lotus for my collection anyway.  (can't have enough Lotii...eh!)  I was also thinking of re-visiting the IMC Ford GT.  I t was my first build from 1964 and I have enough pieces to do another. Any suggestions on that one.  Already thinking wheels and tires and probably engine.  Might be able to beat the 17 month deadline on both.

• Like 1

Well - there were 3 Grand Sports entered - so Forum members can take a shot at the other 2 - and anyway - you tackled and clobbered a very tough kit build -

so the answer is yes - your number 3 is our first completed build -

but please throw some finished shots into the thread - and find another car in the field to do - anything you pick will be easier than that GS -  were you eyeing one of the Cobras ?

C0D6F339-C535-4943-A5A2-26FD2DB02EBD.jpeg

RC :  have a look at Randy’s website - he sells some great 3D printed Ford racing engines - most are 24th scale - but about 2 years ago i convinced - or Randy convinced - the producer - he’s German I think - to make some 25th scale engines - it would still be a tight fit - but an interesting experiment … Oh Randy …

8 hours ago, absmiami said:

Well - there were 3 Grand Sports entered - so Forum members can take a shot at the other 2 - and anyway - you tackled and clobbered a very tough kit build -

so the answer is yes - your number 3 is our first completed build -

but please throw some finished shots into the thread - and find another car in the field to do - anything you pick will be easier than that GS -  were you eyeing one of the Cobras ?

C0D6F339-C535-4943-A5A2-26FD2DB02EBD.jpeg

Andrew, I was already signed up for the Cobra #1 (csx 2196)

Nice art work on my GS!

Edited by Pierre Rivard

Its Austin Healey friday. The number 33 entry can be built from the vintage but most excellent Revell kit - although you will have to make the hard top ….  A most important feature - as this car ended its race on its roof … this kit - Revell was quite good at this - has excellent engine compartment detail …. 

ECB548A6-C283-4A79-B44A-4B5A7C29D555.jpeg

AD96D10B-B015-4FBF-BFEF-6A45934858A6.jpeg

1964 MGB Sebring 12 Hour 

E2576732-C55E-4596-BB1B-E3FC640B1F75.jpeg.708724b2edbc5af0d190a4a4ec33ba5f.jpeg

Over the weekend I pulled out the Aoshima kit of the MGB Club Racing version to have a look at it. This was a special edition that contained extra parts such as the hardtop for the race version in addition to the regular stock parts. I was especially glad that the wire laced wheels were there as well as the stock seats, as the Sebring racer only had the race seat for the driver. The only sticking point was the lack of a LHD dashboard, yet a bit of scratchbuilding will fix that up. Being a curbside will be a plus for me, as I often go down the rabbit hole with driveline detail. 

Let the build begin! Cheers Misha

2E70D98B-1FFB-4322-9EB4-600DF885AF81.thumb.jpeg.16a91b5c1e9ce6d52f555b1e8e52f023.jpeg

784F5695-6304-476E-8816-22C6AE5D8930.jpeg.12bfb8d04aa6ea8bcb0de41a350693c8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, absmiami said:

Misha - Didn't notice that this is one of Frank Morrill's Sebring drives ...

think he also drove the famous Jag XKE light weight in the '62 Sebring 

That’s right, BMC didn’t have much success with the MGB in the 63 Sebring as a strictly works team. For the following season they broadened their team with personal from the racing world. 

the correct kit [sans the roof] available at Model Roundup for break the bank dollars

[note - their prices are generally in line w prevailing market ...]]]

I'm bidding on ebay for an open kit that has been used and abused

but multiple bidders and I'll probably get clobbered ...