Model Cars Magazine Forum

moebius comet

happy grumpy

This one built up pretty well, the only thing is, the ride seems too high to me. I followed the instructions and there isn't much to get wrong, the locator pins make sure of that but still , looks like a 4x4 ride height. Any of you build that kit and ended up looking like this? I don't know much about the 1:1 car. Anyway , here it is, warts and all .Light blue tamiya was used.

thanks for looking.

ford comet 10.jpg

ford comet 11.jpg

ford comet 12.jpg

ford comet 13.jpg

ford comet 1965 03.jpg

ford comet 1965 04.jpg

• Like 3

Great looking Merc! It’s a great kit, but you’re right about the ride height. I’m not sure where Moebius went awry in that department. I had the same issue with the one I built. I chopped, cut, gnawed and modified all I could without breaking out a donor chassis and still didn’t get it as low as I would have liked.

124DA90D-18E2-4F50-A73C-65C2A3B5AC66.jpeg

30FE2821-7090-431D-B28B-2770D0DDEF3B.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice work Mario.  It does seem a little high but still looks pretty sharp.

Thanks Bob, The rest of the kit is great and fit is good , but still, this is surprising from Moebius. 

"Great looking Merc! It’s a great kit, but you’re right about the ride height. I’m not sure where Moebius went awry in that department. I had the same issue with the one I built. I chopped, cut, gnawed and modified all I could without breaking out a donor chassis and still didn’t get it as low as I would have liked."

thanks Chris, the stance on yours looks more normal than the stock one from the kit. A little disappointed with Moebius. I just finished another Moebius kit that gave me a headache in the last phase of building. I hope it's not a trend. I am less forgiving with brand new tooling, in this day and age with all the tools available you'd thing that fitment issues should be minimal. Ah well, part of the fun is the challenge of a difficult kit I suppose.

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

This looks to be about the correct ride height for the car

2-1511809799744@2x.jpg.c811cde626cff2a6be4a91abf26d649d.jpg

Yours is a bit on the high side but looks good Mario!!

Thanks Mike, after seeing your photo, I feel better but still, I guess the size of the tires would probably have something to do with it too. I wonder if it's a carry over from the drag kit. But looking at the photo, it sit higher than most cars of the time. At any rate, a nice kit and fun to build. Thanks for sharing the picture.

45 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

Thanks Mike, after seeing your photo, I feel better but still, I guess the size of the tires would probably have something to do with it too. I wonder if it's a carry over from the drag kit. But looking at the photo, it sit higher than most cars of the time. At any rate, a nice kit and fun to build. Thanks for sharing the picture.

I was interested to see also. I have the Nicholson drag car kit to do. 

3 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Nice build! The height certainly looks different to what's shown on the box... But if you check on other builds of this kit, you will find that it just seems to build that high.

Thanks Thomas, The real car apparently sits high but I think Moebius went a little overboard on their kit. Still a nice kit to build though.

3 hours ago, drodg said:

Ron Hamilton had some great suggestions on this post.   Your build looks very nice though.   I kept the string of posts so when I finally get around to mine I can do what was suggested.  

Thanks David for bringing this up , hopefully it will help those who haven't build it yet.