Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Sept 2022

Raoul Ross

I could go for the Streaker Vette and La Dart 😉

I've figured out Round 2s nostalgia box art. Original vintage boxes are for the original kits that contain the same parts from the first production. Nostalgia boxes contain newer tool kits and are in a style that makes them look like they were around as an annual. Reproduction boxes = mostly original parts. Vintage style = kits that weren't around back in the 60s, but look like they could have been.

%Yeah, and a lousy Ala-Kart it is too. AMT/Racing Champions were both involved in producing the kit, with AMT Starting the kit, and RC finishing it off. Somewhere in the middle RC let go of most of the AMT tooling crew, and it shows. The kit has the bones to have been a decent kit, but between the badly undersized engine, and seriously botched hood/grille shapes, it "Is Not the Kit You are Looking For" tm.

It has some good parts, and it should have great decals and tires. For somebody who knows nothing about the car, (90% of H.L. Shoppers) it will be fine.

Never Had a Streaker Vette. Be nice to see the HPI Guy build up of it.

Nothing really for me in this batch, maybe next month. I've got several of the previous boxing of the Pinto, I couldn't tell if there was any difference between the new and old issues. Anyone know?

Another question, is this the MPC kit or the AMT one? I'm wondering if the round headlight front parts will fit on the MPC Pinto wagon.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

%Yeah, and a lousy Ala-Kart it is too. AMT/Racing Champions were both involved in producing the kit, with AMT Starting the kit, and RC finishing it off. Somewhere in the middle RC let go of most of the AMT tooling crew, and it shows. The kit has the bones to have been a decent kit, but between the badly undersized engine, and seriously botched hood/grille shapes, it "Is Not the Kit You are Looking For" tm.

It has some good parts, and it should have great decals and tires. For somebody who knows nothing about the car, (90% of H.L. Shoppers) it will be fine.

If I've heard the story, I can't recall it off the top of my head but what happened to the tooling for the original Ala Kart?

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

Nothing really for me in this batch, maybe next month. I've got several of the previous boxing of the Pinto, I couldn't tell if there was any difference between the new and old issues. Anyone know?

Another question, is this the MPC kit or the AMT one? I'm wondering if the round headlight front parts will fit on the MPC Pinto wagon.

I'm pretty sure its the AMT one, I did measure up both cars and a swap should be possible. I plan to put the 80 front on the amt 77 myself. The amt 77 front end is terrible, by the way 

20210330_195140.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Maybe, hopefully, someone makes a transkit to fix all that

9 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

I think some of it ended up in the Mod Rod kit

10 hours ago, showrods said:

If I've heard the story, I can't recall it off the top of my head but what happened to the tooling for the original Ala Kart?

The Ala-Kart didn't "end up in" the Mod Rod, it's the same tooling. Ala Kart/29 Ford roadster kit was a double kit (meaning you could build two fully detailed models out of one box) and reissued a few times. They altered the tooling to create the first Mod Rod version which still had most (if not all) the parts required to build the Ala Kart. But over time some of the AK specific parts disappeared.

AMT, riding a hot steak in the late 90's of well engineered and accurate kits took the opportunity to create a new AK from the ground up, rather than try to fix the old tool. That would have been a very savvy move at the time because the traditional hot rod and custom movement was building steam and nostalgia for well known 50's/60's cars was also gaining momentum (see the launch of The Rodders Journal) and would have been great for the hobby. Sadly, mid-development of the new AK apparently most of the design staff was let go at AMT, and we got the kit that is about to be reissued. @Dave Darby is one of the experts on the matter, so if I'm wrong on any of the details he will set the record straight.

You are correct, Craig. The Model A/ Ala Kart double kit was unchanged for 4 issues between 1962 and 1970. The Street Rods issue deleted the nose, hood, bed and side pipes, and modified the cab and fenders accordingly. The chrome reversed wheels were replaced with 5 spoke mags. The A-venger eliminated the Mod Rod/Ala Kart option altogether, keeping the hemi for a street rod version of the Model A roadster. More details in the next issue of Model Cars Magazine. 

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1