Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford Roadster Hot Rod - Final Update - 09-23

Bernard Kron

In 2016 Joey Ukrop wrote a wonderful piece for the H.A.M.B. entitled “A Fly in Amber: The di Falco Roadster” (see: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=31244 ). Accompanying the article were some wonderfully evocative photos Ukrop took which captured the hot rod spirit of this wonderful ’30 Ford Roadster, This one in particular has stayed with me ever since:

Di-Falco-Leader-1024-web.jpg

David di Falco is a hot rodder, fabricator and artisan with a shop norh of San Francisco in Petaluma California. The car he built is based on an old hot rod he bought which di Falco refurbished in the contemporary “as found” style where the car is completely gone through to rebuild, restore and where necessary replace the original parts to render the machine mechanically sound, reliable and safe, while maintaining the “as-found” patina wherever possible. In di Falco’s case he took some liberties since the car originally had no radiator shell, interior or windshield and had some fairly serious rust perforation in front of the doors. But the basic patina is intact. Di Falco cleaned up the rust and covered the perforated area with bare metal panels held with machine screws. Where he added missing parts such as in the interior he endeavored to match the patina of the car as he had gotten it. But these additions and changes are all true to the era of the original car and only serve to enhance its remarkable character.

Here is the state of the car when David di Falco first got it:

DDH5-1024-web.jpg

This project is informed and inspired by that wonderful hot rod. I’m using an AMT ’29 Ford roadster on Revell ’32 Ford chassis rails with the rear suspension from the AMT roadster. The paint is Tamiya TS-16 yellow. The front suspension uses the deep-drop front axle found in the Revell ’40 Ford street rod kits with a scratch built leaf spring. The interior is based on the AMT bucket and seat with scratch built side panels and dashboard with an instrument pod from an AMT ‘40 Ford. The flathead motor is from the AMT ’40 Ford convertible kits. The rear tires and wheels are from a Revell ‘40 Ford Standard and the front wheels are AMT ‘40 Ford with Modelhaus 120 tires. The hub caps and rings are AMT ‘40 Ford. I don’t plan on adding the sheet metal panels that di Falco used.

The photos below show where I’m at so far.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Startup-Summary-1-web.jpg
Startup-Summary-2-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron
  • Like 3

Thanks to all of you for your interest and kind words.

I’ve gotten the grill chopped and painted. Like the 1:1 it’s a ’34 Ford truck grill, this one from the AMT kit. I chopped it about 2 scale inches. I worked some more on the weathering on the main body, doing some additional sanding and detailing, the result being that the weathering is more visible and worn looking and yet the paint surface is more uniform and smoother. I’ll be doing similar work on the grill once the paint hardens. Hot rods like this are relatively simple machines so there’s not that much left to do, mainly completing the motor, lighting and suspension details, and then final assembly.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Grill-and-weathering-summary-web.jpg

• Like 2

• Bernard Kron changed the title to '29 Ford Roadster Hot Rod - Updated 09-17

Thanks guys. Glad you all are diggin' it.

I completed this project over the last few days. I’ll be posting the final presentation photos Under Glass in the next day or so. In the meantime here’s a composite shot of some of the final details.

Thanks to all who followed along and…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Final-Details-summary-web.jpg

• Like 4

• Bernard Kron changed the title to '29 Ford Roadster Hot Rod - Final Update - 09-23
13 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done. Great weathering. Has a great barn find look.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Very convincing rust and distress effects!

David G.

22 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

I think you nailed it! 

Thanks everyone!

Here's the completed model Under Glass with the final presentation photos: