Model Cars Magazine Forum

'51 Studebaker, Peking to Paris Rally (community build project)

Ace-Garageguy

Starting with a cheap Johnny Lightning diecast bought just for this build.

Body has some proportion issues I was gonna fix, but I'd get bogged down as usual, and I'd kinda like to have this one presentable by the end of the CBP in December.

DSCN7605.JPG.48af44d765dadc9acb05ff17e6288a18.JPG

DSCN7607.JPG.9de445425e3b684f499c75afdfea24eb.JPG

Disassembly:

DSCN7608.JPG.73ed9f298dfbd8c60126d621f9ab4440.JPG

Stripping:

DSCN7663.JPG.2b9ec79f49d4105ee34732d2adf59bee.JPG

Pre-modded chassis:

DSCN7664.JPG.5e26dd961e5a0b4107081ac120483477.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Would the chassis from the AMT '53 Studebaker work on this? Or is there a difference in the wheelbases? 

I was initially going to go that way, but the frame rails are of different designs, so in keeping with the spirit of how a real car would most likely be built, I decided to stay with the existing '51 frame.

41 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Initially when I read Johnny Lightning, I thought it was going to be a 1/64 scale. But this is much larger. What scale is it?

1/24 nominal, though it's really more like 1/22 or 1/23...assuming the Danbury Mint version is accurate 1/24.

I'm not bothering to get too anal with the scaling and proportions on this one, in the hope of getting it done relatively quickly. Just going for a decent first impression from the angles where it looks OK.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

22 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

What tires are you using for it?

Bridgestone Mud Duelers I snagged at the last Atlanta show in a baggie, for a buck.

I have no idea what kit they're from, but they just fit the Plastic Performance Products 6LC '50s-'60s 6 lug Chevy 7 1/2 inch wide wheels.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

On 9/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bridgestone Mud Duelers I snagged at the last Atlanta show in a baggie, for a buck.

I have no idea what kit they're from, but they just fit the Plastic Performance Products 6LC '50s-'60s 6 lug Chevy 7 1/2 inch wide wheels.

Thanks, I'll have to look around some for when ever I get around to do that with a Charger.  Been thinking of teh rolling stock from the stock Revell Jeep TJ Wrangler Rubicon to see how close those are.  Should be around 31"-32" tall and the 16" TJ Rubicon wheels happen to be the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as a midsized Mopar, even ones with the Dana 60 rear end and the offset shouldn't too far off either if modern wheels are allowed on the 1/1 cars.

What all are you planning on doing to this? I see the chassis was cut up, are you planning on using running gear from a model or scratch building stuff? How does this translate from your day job, meaning have you done something like this before (updating an old car with newer/better components)? 

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

What all are you planning on doing to this? I see the chassis was cut up, are you planning on using running gear from a model or scratch building stuff?       Yes and yes. All will be revealed as the build unfolds

How does this translate from your day job, meaning have you done something like this before (updating an old car with newer/better components)?    Yes, for decades in reality, and on multiple model-build threads on this very board.

• Like 1

• Ace-Garageguy changed the title to '51 Studebaker, Peking to Paris Rally (community build project)