Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1945 MG TC

Joe Lange

My daughter purchased this kit as a birthday present for me about 20 years ago. (Yikes!)    She didn't know the first thing about automobiles or model cars but, "it looked like an old car", and she thought I would like it.  Her only request was that I "paint it red like on the box".             Wow, it's really strange being the same age as old people.

Hope you like the pics!

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00724.JPG

DSC00725.JPG

DSC00726.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

DSC00715.JPG

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lucius Molchany said:

Looks great ;did you tone down the chrome wire wheels ?

I removed the chrome plating.  I have an abrasive blasting cabinet that I use to remove paint and chrome from parts.  Before chrome plating became popular, (pre-WW2), most automobile wire wheel assemblies were painted.  They were painted either silver or a color to match or contrast the body color of the car.   

13 hours ago, PhilX said:

I like the body paint not too shiny.

What paint did you choose ?

Is there a clear coat on it ?

I believe I used Rustoleum spray paint.  It was defiantly one of my better paint jobs back then.  I didn't discover Tamiya paint until much later.  I allowed to paint to dry for about a month before I started to assemble it!  There is no clear coat, just polished it with toothpaste.  I still struggle sometimes with my spray painting but, I get much better results now with Tamiya paint, clear, and polishing compounds. 

Looks really good. This is another kit I have had in my hand numerous times over the years and always put back.

BTW: Kudos for the 1-3-4-2 firing order, but I believe the distributor rotation should be "anti-clockwise". Don't tell your daughter.  😃

• Haha 1

Just one of the influences that got me into the automotive hobby. One of my mother's customers had a green MGTC and took me for a ride as a young child. My first sports car ride. Her next car was a 55baby blue T Bird. The second sports car ride. Nice job on the build.

greg

I love the build.  I have always wanted one since I read in middle school The Red Car by Don Stanford.  I have read that book many times and have a grandson who is in college that has read it multiple times.  Love seeing your build.