Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where Did All The Krylon Go?

I'm still one of those who prefer spray cans over airbrushes. I've been buying lots of models, but not building many for the last two years due to restoring a house and shop. Now that that's mostly finished I'm starting to build a model building area. One thing I'm doing is buying modeling supplies and Krylon was always my go-to for paint. Now it seems hardly anyone carries Krylon anymore in my area. They usually have a few cans, but it's mostly Rustoleum on the shelves. I did notice Home Depot is carrying a Behr line of spray cans in limited colors. I'll give them a try sometime, but it looks like I may have to go with an airbrush after all!

I use Krylon a lot in my builds with their primer and flat and semi flat black for the frames. They recently changed their nozzle design to a large white spray tip. The last three cans I got all plugged up solid before half the can was gone. Any one else having this problem with the new nozzles. 

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Where did all the Krylon go, long time passing?

Where did all the Krylon go, long time ago?

Where did all the Krylon go?

Taggers sprayed 'em, doncha know?

When will they ever learn?

When will they ev--er learn?

That was beautiful,  Bill. 😔

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:04 PM, TransAmMike said:

I have used the Krylon silver foil a lot and ran out. I contacted Krylon and Dave you are correct. They are having material supply shortage. Kinda, sucks. 

Thanks Mike' I was worried when I was at Hobby Lobby last week and they only had 3 colors on the shelf.

supply chain is a bogus reason! I can go to the local wal mart and see that their spray paints are 95% of the Rust O lium  junk that stays tacky for day's paint! I'm thinking it's Rust olium trying to rid themselves of their main competitor . Much like Wal Mart has done in most smaller towns with running other stores out. I use Krylon short cuts  mostly as it lay's better than Testors(rust olium). Not to mention Meijers was selling Dupli color paints, which they no longer have in favor of the  Rust Olium auto paints line, and there aren't many color choices with them!

Edited by ranma

10 hours ago, slusher said:

Thanks Mike' I was worried when I was at Hobby Lobby last week and they only had 3 colors on the shelf.

Yep, last I looked at HL they had the what they call gold foil but not the silver. They do have a chrome silver but never tried it.  I don't (or didn't) use the silver foil for chrome effect. It looks perfect on gas tanks and exhaust systems. Also used it as a base for the Molotow chrome,