Model Cars Magazine Forum

1947 Chevy electric truck for sale.

13 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Diesel fuel supply is about to be shut down soon. What then? Snowplows, Amtrack, Fire engines, Buses and other essential vehicles won’t be able to do their job.

This is why I feel access to diesel will outlast the access to gas. I also expect most gas and diesel to be reserved for military use.

Look at Ace Garage's post about EV vehicles. I'm not a big fan of EV's for myself and watching the video enplanes some of the reasons why. I think the information in the video gives a very fair explanation of the present technology and allows someone to see if an EV is a wise choice for themselves. They do have their place but are not necessarily the right choice for everyone's needs.   

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but the price tag on the truck is 160k. I looked on the site and all their vehicles (gas or electric) range in price from just below that to 200k, more if options are added. So how many people can afford these, regardless of how it is powered?

21 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I’m in 100% agreement with Ace and superdan. Diesel fuel supply is about to be shut down soon. What then? Snowplows, Amtrack, Fire engines, Buses and other essential vehicles won’t be able to do their job. You’re screwed. 
EV is not for everybody and these green nuts needs to get their head out of their…. well, you fill in the blank and think realistically and logically. Apparently they don’t or don’t want to.  All this is going to blow up in their face. Sooner or later they’ll be protesting the environment is being polluted by dead EV batteries in landfills. So who’s the blame here? 

Look… I get it. Some folks like EV. I don’t nor ever will own one. I am 100% in support on HYBRID vehicles. This is a better win win for everybody. It’s bad enough new houses are banned from installing gas lines for heat or appliances. Even gas appliances are being banned. I’ve used electric stoves before and I can tell you I absolutely hate them with a passion. Electric heat is very expensive when adding operating cost on top of it all with electric stoves and dryers usage. 

What’s next? Electric airplanes? Yeah…. Imagine running out of juice at mid-flight and the plane has no place to go but down nose first or belly land on water or land (God forbid if you can find an open field to land on not over a city or town) because you can’t lower the landing gears due no electric power. 

I’d rather hear a rumble or growl on a muscle car/hot rod/street machine than a quiet EV car. Classic cars are meant to be heard not be silenced.

Scott8950…. that’s the scariest problem. Nobody really knows what puts out a massive EV lithium battery fire. I can guarantee folks will die from serious burns in EV car crashes and massive lawsuits will follow. I fear for my son’s future and generations going forward.

the last EV fire in Houston took over 60,000 gal. of water from what I was told

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack L said:

the last EV fire in Houston took over 60,000 gal. of water from what I was told

Water isn’t the best option to put out an EV fire. I’m not even sure if foam helps either. This is exactly my point when it comes to EV fires and batteries. No one has any idea how to control these types of fires. 

23 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Water isn’t the best option to put out an EV fire. I’m not even sure if foam helps either. This is exactly my point when it comes to EV fires and batteries. No one has any idea how to control these types of fires. 

thats the only option they have even the foam uses water

14 hours ago, Xingu said:

This is why I feel access to diesel will outlast the access to gas. I also expect most gas and diesel to be reserved for military use.

Another case of "OK for me, but not for thee".

A little something else for the forward-thinking modernists to think about...

The proponents plan is to shut down ALL oil and fuel production, including coal, natural gas, propane, diesel, crude oil which includes heating and lubricating oil.

Forget having your BBQs, cookouts, heating your home and water effectively. Unless you stock up on large supplies cord wood - before they outlaw harvesting trees. Can't purchase Charcoal Briquettes, either. Too much pollution. 

Without any motor oil, how are all those machines - electric or otherwise, going to keep from going up in smoke? And coolant/antifreeze used is not made from water, it's a synthetic. Also, without oil there is no asphalt, without asphalt those electric cars will have rough roads ahead. Without vinyl, nylon and polyester, there won't be much left for those cushy seats and carpets that those EVs need. Oh, and leather is not an affordable alternative. Anyone ever try to upholster everything in cowhide? $$$. And those pesky bovine have one major sin - they pollute horrendously and also contribute too much to global warming, can't count on having them for future generations. 

Wanna live in a tiki hut? House construction contains Polyvinyl Chloride or PVC used in plastic piping, Bitumen used in waterproofing. Fly ash used in concrete. Open and closed-cell foam for insulation.

Better get used to having wood or cast iron cell phones, with no provisions for the high tech internals. Polymers are used in fiber optic cables. 

And readers take this one to heart: no more enamel, lacquer and hardened paints. No more paint thinners. No more solvents for your plastic kits. In fact no more plastic at all! Plastic doesn't grow on trees, it comes from what? You guessed it - petroleum.

But at least we can have lighting at our benches - between blackouts. 

But I'm sure none of this schpiel will have any effect on those set on the next way of the future. 

Or will it be the past? Living as our ancestors did, without all the modern conveniences we now take for granted. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 8:42 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

The proponents plan is to shut down ALL oil and fuel production, including coal, natural gas, propane, diesel, crude oil which includes heating and lubricating oil.

Forget having your BBQs, cookouts, heating your home and water effectively.

You can bet your tushie that the 1% won't be doing without these things!

• Like 1