Model Cars Magazine Forum

IH 3800 - plenty of seats to go around!

Looking absolutely fantastic Jeff. Brings back lots of memories from painting these things when I owned my bodyshop, as well as modifying two different ones for our Boy Scout Troop. The details you are putting into this are spot on sir! Though our Troop busses were all five speeds...................drove them all over the place, to Florida and back twice and then Washington DC twice, where the clutch blew, (changed it in a parking lot!)  It had been showing signs of wear so I brought a spare and all tools required..........Be Prepared! Adventures, and thank you for sharing this build, it brings back GREAT memories!

Edited by redneckrigger

Tom- thanks for the kind words ! Glad it brought back memories for ya, its having the same effect on my wife's family. Her dad drove bus for a career before retiring. Cancer took his life way too soon, so this is a tribute for them. 

Instead of shoveling snow after work..I masked the curbside to paint the ribs. I had concern the tape could pull the rivets off the body, but gratefully everything stayed put.

You can never have enough tape lol

20230314_163706.thumb.jpg.6b79d8b5ebeb3f9fc4c730e00c03d1a8.jpg

After a few passes w my Iwata airbrush and carefully removing tape for the other side its really looking like a bus.

20230314_165615.thumb.jpg.e186fa8c9117a9114ef6b14b7ca4a138.jpg

Thanks for riding along 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Looking real good, Jeff!  Are you going to letter it?

Thanks ! Yes, its gonna have the school lettering that Rich drove for. I found out the bus number was 146 so that'll be added to

Edited by gotnitro?

Big deal, you built a bus, wanna impress me? Fill it with kids…..

haha, just kidding Jeff, looking great man, can’t wait to see this in person!

edit, to other readers, Jeff and I know each other quite well, so he knows I’m kidding…..

Edited by tbill
Added info
  • Haha 1

Been following this build the whole way and am extremely impressed with your scratchbuilding abilities. This bus is turning out beautifully.  One minor detail that I haven't noticed are emergency exits on a couple of the windows on each side and at least two exit hatches on the roof.  Doesn't sound like much but we had a bus rollover a couple years ago and those emergency exits came in real handy to help get the kids out.

• Like 1

@TarheelRick thanks for your feedback its very welcome!  I have plans for 2 window exits on each side, and 2 roof exits once I conquer that. Are there any common spots they place those window exits ? I was thinking nearest rear tire, and possibly half way back from O/O doors. 

Glad the rollover exit was successful, hear of tragedy when they go over.

I haven't been on a bus since before Thanksgiving but it seems there is one right behind the wheel hump and another about halfway between that one and the first window.  The roof hatches are evenly spaced front to rear.  Divide your roof into thirds and put a roof hatch at each division line  ---*---*--- if that helps.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

@TarheelRick thanks for your feedback its very welcome!  I have plans for 2 window exits on each side, and 2 roof exits once I conquer that. Are there any common spots they place those window exits ? I was thinking nearest rear tire, and possibly half way back from O/O doors. 

Glad the rollover exit was successful, hear of tragedy when they go over.

I remember the window exits were in front of the rear wheels or about half way between the front door and rear emergency door.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I’m very impressed!! It looks amazing!!

Thanks ! Trying to keep motivated 

On 3/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, peteski said:

Like we say in the Boston area;  this is a wick'd impressive (scratch)build!  Amazing how good it looks and the paint is bringing out even more details.

Haha thanks ! 

@Warren D thanks for window info. I'm getting materials for windows, and will start them next 

The glass installers arrived early today and didn't waste any time. Evergreen .005"  clear sheet was chosen for the windows, and I ended up stacking several strips into my Chopper to avoid bending. This made a pile of windows very quick.20230318_132348.thumb.jpg.18927e5577b3e37df07596a6b7299e29.jpg

20230318_132415.thumb.jpg.a61b13c215e9f7c524a6c3b14c54a764.jpg

I painted the edges w steel ..seems I'm out of aluminum paint. Once they dried, they were quickly installed w testors canopy glue. The kids left a couple windows open I see.20230318_171627.thumb.jpg.840374a42fef886d4cf460052b7f4f82.jpg

20230318_175758.thumb.jpg.ee3c82895947955ead7314052fc7788a.jpg

20230318_175826.thumb.jpg.ae3cd982ecfe1b4f0246e4bdc8e729ab.jpg

There's a few paint tweaks to the frames yet, then a light brushing of Future to fill the mild scratches.

Now the seats can be installed! 

• Like 1

Wow, how'd I miss this! Love all the detail going into this build, and the quality of workmanship too!

I did one about 20 years ago, curbside, no seats and a fixed hood, then its little brother. full detail though. 

So glad to see yours progressing along so well, Boldly Go!

MySchoolbuses.jpg

• Like 1

The kids have plenty of places to hide their chewing gum now...all 22 seats are installed. Half way thru I realized my ca glue wasn't holding..figured it was time for another fresh bottle, this ones retired to the bin. 

A few looked lopsided after peering thru the glass, so adjustments were made. Overall I'm pleased 20230322_162246.thumb.jpg.8ef564dfab45c7069d1392dc269c00ca.jpg

20230322_162323.thumb.jpg.c4d14fba4fa4cd9f5e1ca278c3609070.jpg

Once those were set, I started hashing out the details up front. A pair of 3d printed fans from moluminum, scratchbuilt fire ext, and garbage can round out the current parts. Heres the bin before paint..and yes it'll have a bag lol

20230323_165042.thumb.jpg.1895997e768f38fa43593f8de0b9077d.jpg

Thanks for following 

Edited by gotnitro?
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 8:30 AM, Dutzie said:

Great detail items. The rubber mats look awesome!

Thanks! I didn't mix the paint very well it turned out really streaky...but looks worn

10 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Jeff you’re making sure that you don’t miss any of the little details on this project! They all add up and it shows on your awesome build. Looking forward to seeing you finish this one up. Any ideas for your next project yet?

Thanks ! I've been working all wknd trying to finish the interior, so I can start the roof. The next project....you never know what the squirrels will find lol.

Edited by gotnitro?
Fixed spelling

How did I miss this? I have wanted to do a bus for a long time. Looks like you have done some instructions of sorts. A few questions if I may ask, how far from the bottom of the panel to the floor did you go, and how did you do the corner radius?