Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 51 Chevy Bel Air

bluestringer

Next victim. 1951 is my birth year, and I remember my Dad owning a 51 Bel Air sometimes in the late 50's. Don't remember much about it, I think it may have been black. I'll build this one straight stock OOB, but I think it will look good in blue. All comments welcome, thanks for looking.

IMGP8852.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tcoat said:

That blue with a white roof would rock!

I've never done a 2 tone, maybe I'll try it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

I like this. Had a '52 4 Dr. Deluxe during the late '60's that was black with a very light green top. Have fun building your model!  👌

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I still have this one unfinished; it's back in the box.  I had a very frustrating time with components lining up under the hood.  Frankly, it was a bit of a nightmare that I just kept making worse.  I'll be interested to see how it goes for you.  Best of luck and considering your other builds I expect you'll do a fine job.

I just had to drag out this old relic when I saw this thread.

I'll bet I started this thing more than 30 or 35 years ago, and since then, it's been sitting in a box.

I guess I lost interest in it and just put it away, not unlike probably half of the kits in my stash.

If I remember correctly, (as was the case with nearly every model I painted back then) it was painted with plain old Testors blue, and light blue enamel.

Ah, memories. ^_^

spacer.pngspacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

Got the body painted and some of the chrome trimmed. I tried a two tone ( the blue is the Tamiya X-14 and the white is Testors Gloss Acrylic) and it came out ok, but the masking tape I used left some residue that I can't get off. I used some 3m fine line at the dividing lines, but used Duck Tape Blue Clean Release on the rest and it left the residue. What kind of tape is everyone using? I did the window trims with molotow pens, but I think I will do the side mouldings with some BMF.

IMGP8871.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice color combo!

Not to hijack this thread, but I built this model and it holds a very special place in my heart. I built it for my dad in 2019. He was a huge fan and had a nice collection of 1/18 diecasts, but never found a '51 so I built this one for him.  Unfortunately he passed away only 2 years later.

2v2EeKYGCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EZ4nc4xJ21ND.jpg

Original thread here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/138925-1951-chevy-for-my-dad/

Miss you Dad!!

Thanks,
Ismael

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ismaelg said:

Very nice color combo!

Not to hijack this thread, but I built this model and it holds a very special place in my heart. I built it for my dad in 2019. He was a huge fan and had a nice collection of 1/18 diecasts, but never found a '51 so I built this one for him.  Unfortunately he passed away only 2 years later.

2v2EeKYGCxJ21ND.jpg

2v2EZ4nc4xJ21ND.jpg

Original thread here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/138925-1951-chevy-for-my-dad/

Miss you Dad!!

Thanks,
Ismael

It looks great, and nice tribute to your Dad.

34 minutes ago, Farmboy said:

My dad had a 52 Pontiac, overall navy blue, I remember it well.  Started my '51 about 6 years ago.  Nosed it, frenched it, shaved it, chopped it, and put a boat tail on it.  Just got it out of storage a couple of months ago.  Maybe now I'll finish it.  You've got a lovely finish on yours.

IMG_20230123_153828_BURST001_COVER.jpg.e5458d055b41a9ef7ef6f42cff78bc25.jpg

Thanks. Looks like you got a nice start on it, finish that boy up.