Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '37 Chevy Coupe

Stevearado

On 4/11/2015 at 2:38 PM, oldscool said:

Thanks for posting the decal sheet from this recent AMT899 'Stovebolt' kit.

Looks like we get two vintage decal sheets in one: Above the "Stovebolt Six" is the decal sheet from the original 1967 AMT 2637 '37 Chevy Coupe kit;

From the "Stovebolt Six" and lower is the original sheet from the 1969 AMT T288 '37 Chevy Coupe 'All American Show 'n' Go' series kit.

Great job and thank you, Round2!

Edited by blizzy63

On 11/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, alexis said:

Note, this version of the kit is missing the hard spare tire that mounts on the trunk, that used to be in the kit. Not sure why. The last version that was out several years ago, was missing it too. If you want the spare, you need to get the box with the Orange car on it.

The spare tire cover was not included in early issues of the coupe, as it was created for the cabriolet kit.  The 1:1 cabriolet would have had a rumble seat, necessitating the spare be outside, while the coupe would have it located in the trunk.

This is a great release combining all the past reissues into one jam packed package! Especially for the younger set (I’ll be 69 in a couple of weeks) this current reissue will indeed be a surprise harkening back to the days of 3 in 1 kits, by being actually a 4 in 1 🤩. Also as has been mentioned the decal sheet is another bonus… feels like I’m back in the mid 1960s. 
Cheers Misha

13 hours ago, Mark said:

The spare tire cover was not included in early issues of the coupe, as it was created for the cabriolet kit.  The 1:1 cabriolet would have had a rumble seat, necessitating the spare be outside, while the coupe would have it located in the trunk.

Has anyone made a resin pickup box to convert the '37 coupe into the coupe utility, a model Chevy made from 1936 to 1942?

Edited by Motor City

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Has anyone made a resin pickup box to convert the '37 coupe into the coupe utility, a model Chevy made from 1936 to 1942?

I don't think so. Not sure how close the Revell '41 Chevy Pickup's bed is to what was used from '36-'42, but it might work? One would need/want to add a detailed trunk floor, but I see some flat sheet stock side panels, which would make the overall task less daunting.

Some good info here: http://home.znet.com/p1937/Ute.htm

1937-Chevy-Master-Coupe-Pickup-4-e1612384127596-630x390.jpg.f4dd18c0b8b7fbe0b5ee2bc203c5e1dd.jpg

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, espo said:

I wonder if the bed from the '34 Ford pickup would work ?  

I don't think Chevrolet used a Ford bed. 😁

In all seriousness, I have a 1/25 Revell '41 Chevy Pickup bed on hand and it's in the ballpark, but the details do not match the bed in the above image (assuming the above image is in fact a factory piece...). I think using the bed floor piece (as I think I see alternating wood/metal strips) as a starting point would probably work, but brass tubing and sheet stock might be a better option to fabricate the rolled edges of the flare boards and tailgate. The vertical side supports on either side of the tailgate do not match what's in the '41 Chevy Pickup kit, either.

The ad copy states "A separate trunklid is provided (with the pick-up conversion)..." so the bed assembly must slide in and out, then bolt in place at various points. I don't see any mounting brackets other than the lone angled bracket on the RH side.

Edited by Casey

Ubiquitous and free amt t bucket bed could be whittled down. Not 100 point but who’s going to pound on you for it? 50 tailgate inserts or ilk onto fiberglass bed not “Ford” for the purists and OCD here. 
Was it a 37, or 38? Or both? 
Like this kit, needed modernizing some. Make decent sleds too. 

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Ubiquitous and free amt t bucket bed could be whittled down. Not 100 point but who’s going to pound on you for it? 50 tailgate inserts or ilk onto fiberglass bed not “Ford” for the purists and OCD here. 
Was it a 37, or 38? Or both? 
Like this kit, needed modernizing some. Make decent sleds too. 

Some drivers in the great depression era added their own bed to regular cars so they could qualify for a windshield sticker allowing them to purchase more gasoline weekly since their vehicle technically was now a truck with the addition of the bed.

Just now, misterNNL said:

Some drivers in the great depression rationing era added their own bed to regular cars so they could qualify for a windshield sticker allowing them to purchase more gasoline weekly since their vehicle technically was now a truck with the addition of the bed.

9 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Some drivers in the great depression era added their own bed to regular cars so they could qualify for a windshield sticker allowing them to purchase more gasoline weekly since their vehicle technically was now a truck with the addition of the bed.

Old wives' tale.  Gas wasn't rationed based on what vehicle you had, so you wouldn't be allocated more gasoline just because you had a truck instead of a car. 

Farmers often converted older cars to trucks to save money, the older car still had some life left in it.  They'd get a new tractor before buying a new truck. 

Gasoline was rationed on a coupon basis, most people got "A" coupons, some professionals like doctors got other class coupons (more gas) so they could make house calls, and so on.  Having a pickup bed on your car wouldn't have gotten you allocated additional gasoline.  The "more gas for a truck instead of a car" thing is one of those things that won't die.

41 minutes ago, Mark said:

Old wives' tale.  Gas wasn't rationed based on what vehicle you had, so you wouldn't be allocated more gasoline just because you had a truck instead of a car. 

Farmers often converted older cars to trucks to save money, the older car still had some life left in it.  They'd get a new tractor before buying a new truck. 

Gasoline was rationed on a coupon basis, most people got "A" coupons, some professionals like doctors got other class coupons (more gas) so they could make house calls, and so on.  Having a pickup bed on your car wouldn't have gotten you allocated additional gasoline.  The "more gas for a truck instead of a car" thing is one of those things that won't die.

Information appreciated.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Casey said:

I don't think Chevrolet used a Ford bed. 😁

In all seriousness, I have a 1/25 Revell '41 Chevy Pickup bed on hand and it's in the ballpark, but the details do not match the bed in the above image (assuming the above image is in fact a factory piece...). I think using the bed floor piece (as I think I see alternating wood/metal strips) as a starting point would probably work, but brass tubing and sheet stock might be a better option to fabricate the rolled edges of the flare boards and tailgate. The vertical side supports on either side of the tailgate do not match what's in the '41 Chevy Pickup kit, either.

The ad copy states "A separate trunklid is provided (with the pick-up conversion)..." so the bed assembly must slide in and out, then bolt in place at various points. I don't see any mounting brackets other than the lone angled bracket on the RH side.

The reason I was thinking of the '34 ford bed is that it has the general shape of the one in the old photo. From what I have seen from that era the pickup beds all look kind of generic anyway and maybe with a little work it would fit. I understand that in America this was sort of an aftermarket kit from an outside supplier so they may have offered the same bed for whatever car someone was converting. This sort of a setup was far more common in other countries and may have had a regular part number even. I have seen a few builders here who have done something along these lines, and it did look good. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have an issue with a warped chassis in this latest release? The warp on mine seems to start just in-front of the rear fender mount location and moves forward so the mis-alignment is quite big at the very front of the chassis. I doubt I could get a replacement from Round2 tho.

Haven't tried correcting it with the hot water method yet as I'm kinda afraid it would be pretty easy to break.  Thoughts anyone?

Edited by '70 Grande

I'd contact Round 2 regarding the chassis.  Include pictures if you can.  When retail prices were below $20, I didn't mind dealing with an occasional fix.  Once prices crossed that line, I get replacement parts when something is defective.

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Anyone have an issue with a warped chassis in this latest release?

While I don't own a copy of this kit (man, I need to get one), I can defer to Chris' (HPI Guy's) build & review of this kit from a couple of months ago (+/-). I seem to recall that he mentions a slightly-warped chassis, but that it "works itself out" upon completion. 

Here's Chris' video for a reference :

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 10:14 PM, '70 Grande said:

Here's how the chassis in my kit looks from the front.

PXL_20220227_224702829.jpg

Mine’s not as bad as that, but definitely a little tweak:E346071A-2A80-4764-A124-B2AD005F397B.thumb.jpeg.def3c3aad5e6edcc202ac1f27050c2ad.jpeg

The back of the frame is fine, but the drivers side front (right in the photo above) sits a little high. 

No biggie, nothing some hot water and some brass rod in those frame rail recesses won’t fix…

Edited by CabDriver