Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Caprice Rides Again!!!!

Chuck Most

It's a decent Kit but if you want more detail you can use the engine, and all from the revell 66 impala kit as the parts fit very well. the only parts you would not use from the revell kit would be the body,interior,Chrome and clear parts. As I said these two kits combine to make one awesome 76 caprice. BTW the trailer still comes with that kit.

Its a great kit, if you take it for what it is. It's a LAND YACHT from the '70s.

You can back date it to a 1975 using Modelhaus parts and build the last BIG Chevy convertible.

It is also great for spare parts if you find a '71-'75

The trailer is really neat.

Here is some progress shots of mine

DSC01319_zpscb8e686a.jpg

DSC01316_zps437522a4.jpg

DSC01315_zpseb48ea27.jpg

DSC01257_zpsa58dff99.jpg

So far so good while building it. the only issue I had was the rear lower window trim . Its not even there anymore. vary hard to bmf

DSC01221_zps517aae9c.jpg

Andre,

Thanks for sharing your pics of your car its looking really nice and it gives me a good example of what mine would look like when I get it.

It's a great kit for what it was. Kits from that generation weren't as detailed under the hood and through the chassis as they are now. That said, they made fantastic shelf models with a lot of presence. The body is pretty nice. Score some lines around the window trim (Especially the backlight) before priming, and you will thank yourself when you go to foil the trim. These were huge models of huge, slab sided cars. Smooth, even paint really makes these models stand out on the shelf, and the interiors looked pretty decent too. Use a black wash to detail the grill and wheels, and use a color wash to add a bit of dimension to the interior and these can be really striking models on a table. Land yachts rule!

• 2 weeks later...

This is how mine turned out:

IMG_1951_zps80112cd0.jpg

IMG_1949_zpsda578397.jpg

Interior tub is out of a '74.

954_zps62a9c071.jpg

That is really a nice job you did. Now that I'm seeing some of the pics of this kit I can't wait to get mine and get started. My dad's was red with black interior. It also had vinyl seats...man I remember when me, my brother and sisters would try to get in it on a hot summer day and his car had been sitting in direct sun all day...it felt like we were roasting. We were like a bunch of jumping beans moving all around trying not burn. Thanks for sharing your pics I really appreciate it,

I'm pretty sure the 74-76 Caprice and Impala Custom coupes did not have a lower rear window molding. I know my aunt's 76 didn't, I waxed her faded out maroon trunk paint at least a dozen times before she had it redone. Here's the best brochure photo I could find, and it looks like there is nothing there.

post-6812-0-02486300-1406303312_thumb.jp

Edited by txsportrider

• 1 year later...

hi all 

I know this thread is old,but have a few questions.I'm building a 76 caprice..never built this kit before.I'm wondering anyone here has made this kit more detailed? like rear suspension and front as well.if anyone has I would like to ask questions and see what you done....thank you....Chris 

hi all 

I know this thread is old,but have a few questions.I'm building a 76 caprice..never built this kit before.I'm wondering anyone here has made this kit more detailed? like rear suspension and front as well.if anyone has I would like to ask questions and see what you done....thank you....Chris 

I don't have mine handy, but for some reason, I seem to recall this has a separate front and rear suspension.

Shocks are pretty much invisible once it's together.

Springs can be made by coiling thin wire around a pen or pencil. 6-8 loops should be about right. Coil it tight, but not so tight that there's no light in-between the windings. 

Various bits of metal and plastic could help dress up everything. Easy one is the steering cloumn. Square piece of metal aligned with the steering wheel. A steering box could be made with a piece of sprue shaped correctly.

Charlie Larkin

Sorry to Burst your bubble here Charlie

Though the Rear Suspension has a "separate" rear axle, it is HOLLOW. Actually ONLY Half there

NO upper half.

Also the Exhaust And lower trailing ares are part of the piece.

Front is Cast to the chassis

I have 2 of the re-issues, a Pro-Modeler & later,

and original 72, 73 & 74 Annuals I built back then

They ALL share chassis/Engine

The 71 & 72 has a Separate Straight axle up front for the "Spoof" build option

I have at least one of all that generation Impala/Caprice, they all have that chassis, as does the MPC '68 that I have. The MPC '69 and '70s I've seen also have that chassis.

Charlie may be thinking of the AMT '70 chassis, which would be a good substitute for the MPC one. A bit more detail but not really all that great either. 

I would not be surprised to find that ALL the MPC annual Impala/Caprice

kits from the first in 68 to the last and current re-issue 76

used the same basic chassis/engines I said, I do have 4 of them 72, 73, 74 & 76 and ALL those DO share

chassis/engine!!!!

I did see that MPC's 70 had the same Custom Turbo for the engine as my 72

That chassis and turbo was in the 69 Convert and 71 Impala I bought in 69 and 71. Chassis was in 68 coupe I had too. Lousy detail, but paint and time goes a long way. Better valve covers too. Bodies, on the other hand, were really nice. Wished they did the 74 Sport Coupe, I never liked the 74-76 roof. 

Wish the 70 Impala convertible would reappear, and the 71 Convertible promo tooling. Great curbside, or worth tweaking into a modified detail kit, albeit simple. 

I wish MPC's 70 Convertible would come back too

Even as the Vampire Machine!!

I had that kit WAY Back When!!

found a FEW parts, but No idea where the rest of the kit is!!!

MPC's grill was better than AMT's too

it included the upper trim not in on the AMT piece.

Also it had Stock Non-SS hubcaps!!

The Glowing plastic was interesting, but Paint it, and it would go away!

I MUST find a way to make Max3 STOP refreshing All tabs at random without being asked to!!!!

Thought I Lost this post!!

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2016 at 8:35 PM, Edsel-Dan said:

I would not be surprised to find that ALL the MPC annual Impala/Caprice kits from the first in 68 to the last and current re-issue 76 used the same basic chassis/engines

I'm pretty confident that is the case, and as was typical of MPC kits from that era, the suspension is simplified. Here's the MPC '75 Caprice's instruction sheet:

MPC750475ChevroletCaprice3.jpg

Hard to believe it's been almost a decade since this kit was last reissued. I wouldn't be surprised to see Round2 reissue it again within the next two year or so.

MPC7531976ChevyCapriceSS.thumb.jpg.e1142c3315ab2bb208e217101833d27b.jpg

On 3/11/2012 at 7:55 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

Here is the convertible I am working on, from an original kit from '76.

2005_01150037.jpg

I may back date it to a '75, as I have an old glue-bomb that needs restoration.

Steve Milbury's '74 looks better.

This is how the BIG GM convertible windshields look like. Excellent job Ron.