Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Stephen.... thank you very much. For a while I was thinking how I was going to glue the transmission to the engine and I figured that a jig would be the best way to do this. I held some other parts in the past in place with tape and well the tape didn't secure it like I needed it to and things moved on me. So I needed a more reliable system and came up with what you see here.

Charlie.... thank you So much. Love using your products. There is no braided line that compares to yours, it's the best in the business.

Bill... thank you, yup it sure is a model. Although when I do finish this build I want to take some pic of it at the same angle as my reference pics and place them side by side B)

Stephen.... thank you very much. I believe I used the green Zap-A-Gap for them. Sometimes I use Plastic-zap as well. 

Dave... thanks brother!! It happens right? Not the first set back for me...lol. I am working on getting it fixed. Oh I remember the six million dollar man... and how about bionic woman...lol. I just want to get this build finished and off my plate so I can have some fun with some other builds. 

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

Best of luck in 2018 in all things...I'm a lurker who's been watching your Snake Vega take place since you cut the rear hoop off it.  There's a legion of us who have been amazed by all the out of the park details you've plugged in - I wonder if Hendricks wouldn't find your tribute fascinating NOW, huh?  You're in the home stretch...you got this!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fellas... Sorry I haven't had a post in a while....

Stephen... You are welcome, Hopefully you have been able to find it in the Valley. I can't find it any where on the east side of the valley where I am at. Let me know if you do find it.

Ray... Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

Brian... Thanks for the nice words.

Joe... Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Thanks for following along since the beginning. I know its been a long road and its long over due to be finished. You know when I do finish it I would love to be able to send pics to Mr. Hendricks. I would actually love to get pics of this build and the real car together if that was possible. Kind of like Putting it on the injector hat of the real car But I know its a pipe dream for that to happen. Few years back when I tried contacting Hendricks Motorsports museum to see if they could get me some pics of the real car, they told me that they didn't have the staff to be able to get me some reference pics of the car. So that's when I have had to make my own assumptions on certain Items that I had no pictures of. I have done the best I could with what information I have. Its not perfect but will be good enough for me when I am done.

Mike... Thank  you.

Dave... Thank you my friend. I have been having my struggles with this thing and it gets frustrating after a while and makes me want to give up.

Bob... Thank you. Sorry No new updates right now. Actually I haven't been to the bench in probably over at month at this point. I have had family in town for the past month and been spending time with them. I wish I could find my minions and be building like John but to be honest the motivation just hasn't been there for me. Sorta feel like I am in a slump.

Chris. It's been awhile since I checked in and I must say that you have surpassed all levels of detail. It is truly an incredible build and a testament to ones imagination and resolve. I was sad to hear of the setbacks and not hitting the finish deadline but as one posted "A Masterpiece is done when A Masterpiece is done" And this one will in the end will be a legend.

Despite your setbacks, count your blessings everyday. A number of years ago my setback began. My hands started to shake, slightly at first but now has progressed to a crippling point. Research lead me to the diagnosis of "Essential Tremors" As time passed, this progressed to the point of not being able to drink a glass of water without spilling most of it down the front of my shirt and typing on a keyboard takes forever due to corrections from fingers hitting the wrong keys. It has definitely changed my world. 

Modeling has always been a passion for me. Starting when I was 6 years old and I have been building for close to 45 years. My last build was the 68 Vette which I struggled through, only working on not so bad days. Now this passion has been jeopardized. I have tried many medicines to combat this with the last result being, CBD oil, this has shown minimal but noticeable results and only time will tell if I will ever build again.  I haven't given up hope as I keep buying eye catching kits here and there with the thought that I will return. My son keeps eyeballing my stash and hoping I will just give up and turn them all over to him but I'm not giving in yet.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and creativity with all of us for these year. Keep up the good work and don't give up, I won't. 

Until then I will build "Vicariously" through watching others like you. God Bless Ya.

Steve

Wow....Chris.....dude!  My hat is off to you sir.  I have been following this for awhile and just finished going through all 224 pages.  This build has reignited my desire to set up my bench again, it has been TOO MANY YEARS since I have built.  Thank you for that.  I will admit, I want to see this finished, but as a human, with feelings, don't hurt yourself.  This will finish when it finishes, that's just the way it is.  I will keep this as a favorite for reference.  As many, many, many others have said here....AWESOME!

Later,

Lee

Paul.... Hobby lobby has a different brand. I had bought some and wasn't too sure about it.

Steve... I wanted to say thank you so much for the kind words, they really ment alot and for checking in on the build. I gotta apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  I also want to thank you for sharing your story and the words of encouragement. I can relate with the shaking as my Dad has been going thru some of that himself. Not sure What it is but it seems like family on that side of my family has some shaking issues as they have gotten older.  I am sure that it has to be hard as I know it bothers my dad some but I know he isn't letting it stop him. I think he has good days and not so good days. I hope and pray that it will get better for you and that you are able to get back to the bench and build some more models. Building is relaxing and therapeutic for the most part for me. Other than when my builds get me fustrsted...lol anyway thanks again and have a great day.

Danno.... thank you sir... I know my days are countingndiwn for DSC.

Lee.... thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to go through all the pages. Glad to hear that it's inspired you to get back to your bench. You don't know how bad I want to get this one completed so I cam stry some kther fun builds. If you have any questions feel free to ask and i will do my best to explain how I did things. I am hoping to possibly have some sort of update over this weekend. I have been slow at getting bench time lately. But should be able to get some time in this weekend. Fingers crossed that I make some great progress this weekend so in can check off more items of my final to do list.

Edited by Mooneyzs

• 2 weeks later...