Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Paint - CRISP & BOLD............Love the colors on the car Chris!

Chassis - SPOT ON

Overall - SUPER SANITARY

Can't wait for the body trim pieces you made to go on yet, back window, alum. valance sill trim etc.  Is it possible it can get even better?   Yes, yes it can.  Above all Chris, thanks for posting your methods and great pics on the painting of your car.  I'm going to have to bribe Teresi for his secrets too.  ;)  But in all seriousness, YOU still had to do it and I'd be proud to call that my paint job any day.  

Cheers, Tim

That is just fantastic Chris.

I don't know if it is the angle of the picture or not but it looks like the leading edge of the quarter window plate is a little to shallow of an angle.compared to your reference picture.

The angle on the stripes looks perfect but in the picture the leading edge of the window plate is perpendicular to the upward slope of the stripes and the model it looks a little off.

I know this sounds nit picky but you have done so much to make this thing perfect and I noticed it right off...

Hakan... Thank you very much.

Jason.... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. The light at the end of the tunnel is starting to get brighter. You need to get back to that Ivo Build for sure.

Tony... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you. You missed out on some Killer builds at the show this year. I completely understand about the house chores though. There is always next year ;)

Bob... Thank you. I will pass the info on to Kevin the Minion...lol.  I am making forward steps and getting there one foot in front of the other. Hopefully soon I can say its done...lol

Mike... Thank you very much. I feel that this was a huge milestone for me with this and has given me the motivation to continue to push thru until its done.

Nie... Thank you. I have to be honest that I can't wait to see what it will look like with the decals. I think it will help just bring the body together but hard to completely visualize it until they are actually on the body.

Tim... Thank you so much for the kind words. I am super excited to get the decals and body trim and stuff on it because that should help complete the total look. Too bad you couldn't of made it to the show this year. You are welcome on me posting the painting progress. I could of shown more of where it bled thru but I didn't want to bore everyone with a ton of pics. My Daddy Teresi will be more than happy to share his secrets, although some may not believe how simple it actually is and john gets killer results with it.

Bob... Thank you. I am actually really happy with how the paint laid down for the most part. I did get a few pieces of dust in a couple of areas. I will end up color sanding the body prior to putting decals on and then adding some more clear and then doing a final color sand and polish. I am thinking it should look pretty good once all that is done.

Brad... Thank you... I can't wait to see those Awesome decals on the body as well ;)

Mitch...  In regards to the leading edge. I did notice that it was about 1/16th of an inch off after I had the white base on body and all ready for the red and blue. After all of the sets backs that I have had with just the paint alone, from the black on the under body to all of the bleed thru with the red and blue to the trouble with some of the white base. I told myself that it was good enough at this point and am happy with it. there was alot of small things that I didn't show that I fixed. I know its not perfect and this model never will be. Now if some one was to of said something back in the stages of all of the body work I probably would of fixed it then. Plus I was excited about getting paint on it. I know that Revell didn't base this body off the army car it was based off a Don Schumacher body as to why snorkel piece on the kits body is completely wrong for the Army Vega, also as to why I started with a Jungle Jim body instead. 

Scott... Thanks my friend. It feels good to have it to this stage in the build. I almost hate to have to tear apart the chassis mock up but I do have some small details and parts to finish up and detail but I can't wait to get them done so I can start hooking lines up. I have been anxious to see it with some of the fittings and lines. I think that it will really start to come together then.

Scott... Thank you.

Jim... Thank you. As far as a Don Prudhomme figure goes.... Lets say I have had a trick up my sleeve to do something with a driver figure. let me just show the idea that I am going to do.....My plan is to do something like this....

Sflam... Thank you very much.  I really appreciate it.

Seth... Thank you... I have to admit that is one of my favorite verses. Its small but yet powerful.

Brent... Thank you. As I mentioned above that the light at the end of the tunnel has definitely gotten brighter. This build has tested me in many ways thru all of the set backs but I have made my self push thru them, wanted to box it up during a few of those moments but glad I didn't.

Pat... Thank you. I have been wanting to see it done for the past few years.... :lol:

That make sense to me Chris. It wasn't noticeable until the stripes were applied and don't know how hard it would be to change (notice I didn't say fix)

It in no way detracts from the model your abilities, craftsmanship and your pure talent to create a model that is a work of art for us who can only stand and watch a master like yourself.

And even when the model is done by someone as talented as you or a hobbyist like myself in the long run the builder's happiness is all that really matters. 

Clayton....  Thank you. You are definitely going to have to male it out to this show aometime. I think it needs to be on everyone's list to attend at least once. I am thinking that it probably shocked a lot of people that the body was painted. Well I was hoping it would.be a surprise since I didn't post any pics of it during thst time.

Mitch...  I will admit that  after you said something that it was a little more noticeable. I know I didn't see it during  the primer phase at all and when I did notice after the white base I thought that it wouldn't be that noticeable until you mentioned something then it was more noticeable to me. I think with me seeing the body day in and day out you loose sight of some details from time to time. As far as fixing it.... it would be doable and the blue would have to be blended in. The black on the inside would have to be blended in. It would probably be more work than one would estimate but it could easily be done. It would just take time and patience. I do appreciate the kind words that you have said about my abilities.

Chris personally I wouldn't worry about the slight difference between what you have for the paint. First you run the risk of having other issues. As you said doable but a lot of work.  If it was dust issue in the paint or a flaw in the body work that would be something else. Finish it up. Analyze what the issue was and figure out how to avoid making the mistake again. Perfection is a noble goal but you have to balance againt what you gain by fixing it and the other issues that can happened in the process of trying to fix it.

Chris, outstanding results. I love it. I hesitated to post pics of my Wild Willie car a couple years ago because I know the flaws are many, but I know you guys are understanding and willing to help. But seeing results that you and the other masters do has helped me a lot. Now I can't wait to finish that build and post it. I look forward to seeing more of this great Vega FC and having you come East for a couple contests so we can meet.

Chris,

I too have been keeping your page in my Favorites watching for updates and anxious when they don't come quick enough (my problem, not yours). As an experienced modeler, I have one thing to say... I hope that you have planned ahead with the decals on this extensive model (far greater than most, but something that all of us watching would love to achieve). I have known that after all the time spent intensively on a model that when you get to the decals and they crack or they just don't work out; it seems that all efforts expended fall to all your best attempts to be "perfect" or as "perfect, in your mind, that you can be". I would think that you went with Cborne (Chuck) and his decals, as his quality seems to match yours. You may also consider Doubling up the decals if the white isn't as white as you want it (I did that on the Mongoose English Leather F/C). Great F-ing job your doing. I will hate it when you're done, but excited about what you might do next... 1/2 scale? ...LOL.

Here's Chris' display at DSC this year. I've been assured this is the last time this build will be on the Projects Table at DSC. 

I've posted the first photo in this thread previously, but the second one hasn't been shown until now. He put together a cool display case showing all of the pieces he's worked on or collected to finish this miraculous build including the decals I made for him.

Come on brother, give us an update.

Bob... Thank you. I am continuing on the coarse I was on.

Dave R.... Thank you my friend. I sure hope you continue to post pics of your builds. Heck I have no issues showing the flaws that come up in my builds, my builds are not way perfect at all considering how many times I have redone things to try to make them look right in my own eyes. I would love to get out there and hit up some shows on the East coast for sure. Maybe I can get my Brother's Johnny T and Art and we can hit them up together.

Bruce... Thank you.

Keith... Thanks for the kind words. No need to hate it when I am done with this build. It just means I will have some other cool builds to start sharing with everyone. Actually I have had a couple I really have wanted to started but Have held back because I need to get this one off my plate. As far as scales they will probably be 1/16th But Don't be surprised if I do a 1/8th scale one.

Mike... Thank you. I have no clue if this could be centerfold material or not.

Bob... No, No updates as of yet. As far as Kevin the painter goes, I believe he decided to catch a ride on a Bus and head back to John's in Cali. I may of pushed him too much to get the body done for the show and think he wanted to be back home so he can take some relaxing vacation time :lol:

Brad... Thanks for posting pics of the display and I gotta thank you for surprising me with the finished decals, wasn't expecting that at all. They turned out great. As far as an update goes.... I have to be honestly I haven't had any motivation to get to the bench due to some personal stuff I am working thru, So I am not really sure when I will have another update for everyone.