Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is my new daily driver. 2017 Ram Power Wagon.

Yes, I swap out trucks fairly often. I'm really liking this one though. The ride quality is probably the best I've experienced in a heavy duty truck. The suspension is completely reworked from the standard Ram 2500, and the improvement in ride quality is massive. Fuel economy from the 6.4L Hemi isn't bad either, even when towing. Haven't used the winch yet, but I'm looking for an excuse!

IMG_20170328_1206087_zpss2qjtlqm.jpg  

And over the weekend I got my "project" truck up and running. 1997 Chev K1500 Silverado. I parked it for the winter, so hasn't been started or touched since October. Put a new battery in, checked the fluids (which were all fine), adjusted tire pressure. Started up immediately with zero hesitation. Was actually surprised at how quick it started and how smooth it ran. Time to start figuring out what the plan will be. Need to start some minor body work and take care of the rust bubbles before they become serious. Needs tires, needs a better stereo!

IMG_20170401_1532554_zpsjq8xely4.jpg

Taken at Lake Tenaya, east end of Yosemite.  On the 20th I'll have had it for 4 years and bumping up on 60K miles.  Average 22mpg and have gotten as high as 29 (not regularly-420 horses have to breathe once in a while.:lol:)

33685332312_e7feae11f9_z.jpg

Edited by The Junkman

Taken at Lake Tenaya, east end of Yosemite.  On the 20th I'll have had it for 4 years and bumping up on 60K miles.  Average 22mpg and have gotten as high as 29 (not regularly-420 horses have to breathe once in a while.:lol:)

33685332312_e7feae11f9_z.jpg

Grabber Blue is the best colour on these!

This is my new daily driver. 2017 Ram Power Wagon.

Yes, I swap out trucks fairly often. I'm really liking this one though. The ride quality is probably the best I've experienced in a heavy duty truck. The suspension is completely reworked from the standard Ram 2500, and the improvement in ride quality is massive. Fuel economy from the 6.4L Hemi isn't bad either, even when towing. Haven't used the winch yet, but I'm looking for an excuse!

IMG_20170328_1206087_zpss2qjtlqm.jpg  

And over the weekend I got my "project" truck up and running. 1997 Chev K1500 Silverado. I parked it for the winter, so hasn't been started or touched since October. Put a new battery in, checked the fluids (which were all fine), adjusted tire pressure. Started up immediately with zero hesitation. Was actually surprised at how quick it started and how smooth it ran. Time to start figuring out what the plan will be. Need to start some minor body work and take care of the rust bubbles before they become serious. Needs tires, needs a better stereo!

---------------------------------------------------

That is one tough looking Ram!!! and outstanding scenery AWESOME Picture!!!

This is my 2012 HD Softail Blackline I bought a couple years ago. Not much done to it other than Vance and Hines exhaust and a D&M Cycles air cleaner.

My other vehicles include a 98 Ford 150 extended cab step side, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, and a 07 Chevy Cobalt.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is a Welcome, Under Glass and What you drive all in one.  I've been out of model building for quite a while, and the bug is starting to bite again.  URL]This is a model I built 20 years ago of what was my daily driver back in the middle 70's and no I didn't keep it; it was a complete bondo bomb; I got it for $200 and after a summer of work, it was a nice car from 20 feet away  After that the rust came back and it literally melted away over the next 3 years.URL]mustang1.thumb.jpg.5ea0c31eb98ff1c26df87

This is an 87 Saab that my wife let me buy this past Valentines Day.  I know what I'm in for since I've been driving them since the early 80's.Classic900.thumb.jpg.f67129a90f1755a1cd3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2016 Focus mid trim. Picked it up in April to replace my 2008 that got t-boned in a hit and run from a guy running a stop sign off a side street. Lease turn in with 18,000 miles on it so was about 2500 dollars less then a comparable 2017, Main complaint is an automatic. But you can only get a 5sd manual in the base car which isn't available as a hatchback or a 6 speed in the STV which would have been about another 5 grand for the 2015 with 40K on it they had on the lot. At least with the dark blue the black wheels don't look too bad on it. Not really crazy about the sun roof. Now if I could just figure out all the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH electronics on the dash board. Already had 5 or 6 cds stolen out of it a couple of weeks ago when I guess I accidently bumped the unlock button on the keys when I was out in the yard and didn't notice.

2017-04-20 113.JPG

2017-04-20 116.JPG

Does the 700R4 mate right up with the Jag engine?
What about the speedo drive?

I'm asking because I want to upgrade the gearbox in my Rover P6.
A common way is to use a frankensteined ZF4HP22 from a Range Rover
with a slightly machined off Jag tailshaft inside a Volvo tailshaft housing,
or a Jag/Volvo box with a Range Rover bellhousing and TQ.
But I'd much rather have a 700R4 with an adapter.

The 700R4 does not bolt up to the Jag six, or the twelve either.

Though the 12 cylinder cars used GM Turbo 400 gearbox internals, the housing is Jag specific.

The XJ-6 requires a cast and machined aluminum adapter plate to bolt the box to the engine, and also a small adapter to bolt the GM flexplate to the crankshaft. The starter is swapped for GM to match the teeth on the GM ring gear.

I used the John's Cars (Texas) kit to do my swap, and it's pretty much a bolt-in other than having to have the Jag driveshaft shortened and a GM yoke welded to the nose. Re-balanced too, of course. There's a little trans tunnel bashing required, and the handling ears have to be sawn off of the gearbox housing.

The speedo adapter is straightforward, an angle drive that mates the GM output on the trans to the Jag cable. I don't recall if there is any gear ratio change in the speedo drive.

The John's kit is OK, but the trans mount is kinda mickey mouse, as are a couple other things. If I had it to do over, I'd fabricate all my own stuff...but I didn't have the mill and lathe when I did the swap back in '95.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy