Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the deal with Johan

That's exactly THE point. For fullsize Unibody Mopars, it's either Jo-Han or bugger all to this day.

I totally agree with you, that the next logical step for Moebius (or any other kit manufacturer) would be one of the first Unibody Letter Series Chryslers. I also prefer the G to the F, but either one of them would do me just fine, thank you.

Imagine having the Moebius '55, the AMT '57 and the whoever '60 or '61 parked next to each other on your shelf.

What a nice representation of the first three Letter Series generations would this be?

For what it's worth, the Lindberg "Color Me Gone" 64 Dodge Chassis fits under the Johan 62 Chrysler 300 like a glove. Not sure if it's 100% accurate, but it's a unibody Mopar chassis.

• 10 months later...

Whats so special about jo-hann models that people think there worth a lot o money anywhere u look to buy used models or trade. My dad said even when he was a kid they were scrace not mass prosuced like revell or amt. my opinion is if they where so great they would still be in business today. But what i wanna know is why do people think there worth so much?

Jo-Han produced some interesting kits, and by the standards of the day, some were quite well-done. The Chrysler Turbine car would be a good example. I'm personally a big fan of the '70 Olds 442 kit, and though it is somewhat lacking in the chassis and interior details, the body is still quite good.

Whats so special about jo-hann models that people think there worth a lot o money anywhere u look to buy used models or trade. My dad said even when he was a kid they were scrace not mass prosuced like revell or amt. my opinion is if they where so great they would still be in business today. But what i wanna know is why do people think there worth so much?

The "special" part is that they were a smaller company than AMT or MPC or Revell or Monogram. Plus, you will never see those kits produced again. They made beautiful bodies and on occasion they made awesome chassis and engines too as in the Trophy Series Mercedes' and the 30s Cadillacs in addition to the Turbine Chrysler. Even the lesser kits had unique subject matter that I myself gravitated to just because I was kinda weird....AMC, Full size Oldsmobiles, Station wagons...you name it.

Edited by lordairgtar

I have 5 Jo-han kits, recently scored a 68 Chrysler 300 for about 46 dollars, i also have the 62 fury, 68 fury police car, 60 Plymouth Wagon and 61 Olds wagon, i consider these kits as the highest gems in my collection and plan to build all of them with a lot of attention to detail and modifications.

I've got a Chrysler Turbine in my stash. Considering that it was probably made about the time the Turbine was a new car, The kit is AMAZINGLY detailed.

It has:

a multi-piece engine

separate exhaust ducts (exhaust isn't molded into the floorpan or the rear differential)

opening doors/hood/trunk

molded headlight buckets with clear lenses instead of the molded chrome

working steering with individual springs

folding front seats

There are kits produced today that aren't as detailed.

I probably have about 75 Jo-han kits and a few promos in my stash. Such unique and interesting subjects...I have a bunch of their '60s-70s Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Mopars, AMCs, Mavericks, etc. I particularly like the deVilles, Eldorados, and Toronados...

Yea I think that's the draw to them for sure. They were a smaller outfit doing odball stuff that wasn't mainstream Camaros and Mustangs. If you want to do a '70s Caddy your options are pretty much JoHan. If you want a '60s Mustang, take your pick. Multiple issues of multiple trim levels from multiple sources. There's only one way to get a '75 Cutlass.

If, like me, you're a fan of Johan and X-EL models, DON'T extoll their virtues!

You'll only bump the prices up even further.

Oh.. Yea... Ahem... I meant don't buy JoHan models. They're old and uninteresting and no fun. (more for me :D )

• 4 months later...