Model Cars Magazine Forum

Not Pleased With A Build, What Would You Do?

Its your build, your call, simple as that ;)

Its a part of modeling to have builds not go as we want them, when that happens to me, which is almost every build, I just keep on trucking and get it finished and try to learn from the problems to make them not happen or how to over them on the next build

l got back to the bench today. l have a build that l am not happy with the results of how its going. Should l start over or move on to another build. ???

I think most everyone probably has his own way of dealing with this situation. Mine tends to be more practical (in my opinion) than some - I put it on eBay, get what I can, and go on to the next kit. It's a rare instance that I set it aside to come back to at a later date.

On the other hand - as I'm sure many will tell you - some of the best and most satisfying work can come from a build that causes just enough of a problem to force you to go a little beyond and put that extra bit of effort in that's required to overcome the problem(s). Those are the rare ones I've set aside.

Well, I would personally take it apart and fix the problems. I know that it might feel stupid, but that's what I do and that's what I've done few times. Then the model looks better, when you've fixed the problems. Once I just finished the build, even if I thought that it's far away from my bests (The 80's Style Corvette). Anyway it looked OK when completed, even if I could see the mistakes from miles away.

My opinion is, that take it apart so you can fix the problems. Then it's like new model again.

Its your build, your call, simple as that ;)

Its a part of modeling to have builds not go as we want them, when that happens to me, which is almost every build, I just keep on trucking and get it finished and try to learn from the problems to make them not happen or how to over them on the next build

Brilliantly spoken..

Do what you can and learn on to the next.

I end up trying to fix the problems, or changes I want to make, as they come up. I've set builds aside literally for years because something didn't work as I'd planned, or because something I was trying to accomplish was beyond my skill level at the time.

3 of the more ambitious builds I've got going at tme moment were set-asides, but now, after forcing myself to not give-up-and-move-on, all 3 of them are nearing completion, and I think I'll be pleased with the results.

A lot of it has to do with what you want from the hobby. If it's purely for relaxation or passing time pleasantly, then the answer is pretty simple. If you're more of a perfectionist, as you say, only pushing your limits (which sometimes includes doing everything over) will build the skills where you hit the desired results the FIRST time.

I'm currently doing major reworks of two projects that were pretty close to paint because I saw things I could have done better, or things I wanted to change the look of. If I had just gone ahead and finished the builds without making the changes, I never would have liked the finished products and really would have considered the time spent as wasted. But that's just me.

First off................this is supposed to be fun. So if the fun quotient drops below a certain level, its time to move on. I box up the kit and move on to the next one, taking care not hit the same snags the next time.

Upon returning to the original problem I go two ways, either it gets fixed and I continue or it becomes a parts donor. I think Johnnies idea of Ebaying the failed project would eventually haunt you when you realize you sold parts you'd like to have now.

Good advice but l try to hard to be a perfectionist.

........l have this problem(?) too! When something goes wrong, or even if l need to think it through more, l box it up & get another out of the closet. The good part of this is l usually get what l evisioned done right. The bad part is l have close to 20 projects started! The good part about THAT is l'm pretty close to a finished project at all times. Bart.

There are different methods of achieving the desired result and sometimes the method chosen was not the correct one for that job so being a bit of a perfectionist means scrapping it and starting over or backing up a bit and giving it a re-think and maybe re-doing some part of the process in a different way. The perfect method does not always present itself immediately so the project has to be left to simmer for a while!

It depends on whats wrong with it and how easy it is to replace. If I've hacked up a kit beyond all repair and I'm not happy with it then it's off to the store to pick up another patient. On the other hand, if it's a rare kit and I'm not happy with the direction of things I fix it if I can or put it aside until I figure out what to do.

It depends on the depth of the problem. If it's gonna be major work to fix, alot of times I'll just move on. If it's a fairly simple fix, then I'll give it the attention it needs. Usually I try to fix the problems as they occur though.

Corey

You can always go back and redo something that doesn't sit well with you , buildwise .

Get stuck , not sure how to proceed ? Sit it off to the side within view as you work on other projects . More often than not , a solution to your problem will present itself as you work on another kit .

Out of sight , out of mind seemed to cause a very large backlog of unfinished builds in my

shop ! In all honesty , I thought they were starting to play the rabbit scenario on me , as in multiplying ten fold when I wasn't looking .

I quit setting them aside a long time ago . Now I just apply that innate stubborn nature of mine and keep at it till it's done .

i was being facetious (somewhat) above, what i have done in the past is just set it aside like others say, and then come back to it later and/or when a likely solution can be thought of.

i have found that often fairly unsurmountable problems, when all wrapped up in the complexity of a build, have rather simple fixes when you return to the project later. i have had several instances in the past few years where i pretty much decided i never wanted to work on that model again, put it aside, and some months or weeks later looked at it again and there was a fairly painless fix to whatever was styming me.

my problems in this area usual revolve around a finished car sitting too high off the ground despite trying and trying to engineer it to sit down low. those sort of problems are often the hardest, most frustrating. some may remember the jaguar xjs i had a build thread running on:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19454&hl=%2Bjaguar+%2Bxj-s

there were a number of "i am so tired of this..." moments in that build if i remember right. and it took forever for me to convince myself it had to be finished no matter what.

You did not say if you do factory cars or customized cars. I think you probably have to wait longer into the build to judge if it is coming out as planned.

I treatt each piece and assembly as a kit. If it is not whst i want at that stage, I stop and fix it then.

Of course i do not do customized versions so i don't have to wait before i know if i am going to be satisfied.