Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
CaseyG83

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Recommended Posts

Got this . My BIL asked for a replica of a truck he once had . 

66688FF7-BAB3-4E0A-A71A-75AC1CC4D107.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bbowser said:

Ooh, great picture, thanks!  Where did you find it?

Someone in my town has a collection, this is a replica that Mercedes produced, I took the pictures.

4002903508_647ee52567_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got in an order from Spotlight. Two AMT '67 Cyclone funny cars, MPC Dyno Don Cougar, Moebius ''65 Dyno Don Cyclone, Moebius '65 California Flash Plymouth. The plan is to build the Plymouth as Grumpy Jenkins' Black Arrow, and use one of the '67 Cyclone funny bodies on the Cougar funny chassis. I hope to set up that chassis so it will take both the Cougar and Cyclone bodies.  Which is historically accurate--after his first '68 Cougar was wrecked, Dyno Don got another Cougar body and put it on the frame of the Eliminator II Cyclone, which he still had on hand. Strange but true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just arrived.  Finally found one on eBay for a somewhat reasonable price.  It was a "Make Offer" deal and I got a few bucks off their original price.

It's molded in that weird turquoise color sometimes found in the USA Oldies kits.  But everything is there and in good shape. 

The original shrink-wrap from the kit was in the box, with a price sticker: "Broadway Hobbies - $5.00." Breaks my heart...

62_chrys.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

 

I just bought one of these in that mustard yellow color and a 60 Desoto in beige from Ebay. I was offered a discount on each kit and also a discount on shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These arrived today. Love the Johan kits. Never built. The Desoto has a few scratches on the windshield but I think I can polish them out. I think I got them for a reasonable price. Each under $40 and a discount on shipping. Someone said here in the forum. It they are going to spend money on buying kit. They's rather spend the money on something they really wanted rather than spending about the same for a new re-pop. Made sense to me. 

I messed up on the Grand Prix kit. I saw it listed on Ebay. New and sealed. And they had a picture from another site showing a perfectly fine kit and box. When I won the kit the pic that came up showed it all smashed. I was so upset. I should have checked the other pictures and didn't. Luckily when I unsealed and opened it, Nothing was damage. Whew. So I got it for $35 including shipping. 

image2-2.jpeg

image1-3.jpeg

image0-4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man you dodged a bullet ! That box is horrible. Great price on it. Glad there wasn't any damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Man you dodged a bullet ! That box is horrible. Great price on it. Glad there wasn't any damage.

I know. I was sweating bullets until it got here. I have to be more careful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, Snake45 said:

 The plan is to build the Plymouth as Grumpy Jenkins' Black Arrow

Dr. Burgess (a veterinarian) owned the Black Arrow Plymouth.  Jenkins set the car up for him and took it to the first meet to test it out.  Grump pulled a fast one by putting his own name as the owner of the car.  That is an interesting car, a good choice for a build project.

The interchangeable Cyclone and Cougar bodies should work.  I picked up an extra Cougar to put under a '66 body, tried it and as I remember it's a pretty good fit.  The '66 body I have has a few flaws but will be perfect for this.  Bumpers and hood can come from the junk pile because the bumpers are painted silver, and the hood has to be smoothed over anyway.  The '66 body is a Comet (plain hood), not a Cyclone.

Went to the twice-a-year train show today, actually bought two kits.  AMT Collector Series '32 Ford coupe (the one with the display base), I believe that is the toughest kit in the series because it was in production at the time the tooling got damaged.  Also got an MPC '32 Chrysler roadster for five bucks.  The guy with the Deuce coupe also had a built AMT '68 Cougar, but he wanted $30 for it and wouldn't budge.  That's too much considering it didn't have a hood, rear bumper, or taillights among other things.  I wanted it more for the box that opened at each end, as I never had one of those.  He did sell it, it was gone when I walked by prior to leaving.  

 

Edited by Mark
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mark said:

Dr. Burgess (a veterinarian) owned the Black Arrow Plymouth.  Jenkins set the car up for him and took it to the first meet to test it out.  Grump pulled a fast one by putting his own name as the owner of the car.  That is an interesting car, a good choice for a build project.

I'm looking to do cars of Jenkins, Sox, Landy, and Nicholson in several different years--right now looking at 1965 (the last year all four ran A/FX), '68 and/or '69, and '70 (first year of Pro Stock). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Black Arrow is a good choice for Jenkins, as he won his first NHRA title as a driver with it.  He was to some extent angling for a factory deal with Chrysler, but was never going to get one unless he gave up tuning Chevrolets for the lower Stock classes, which is something he wasn't likely to do.  He was in with Strickler on the Dodge deal in '64, but his name wasn't on the contract nor did Chrysler mention him in any of their ads or promotional material.  They split towards the end of '64.

The Black Arrow has history after Jenkins too, it evolved into an altered wheelbase car over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, ewetwo said:

These arrived today. Love the Johan kits. Never built. The Desoto has a few scratches on the windshield but I think I can polish them out. I think I got them for a reasonable price. Each under $40 and a discount on shipping. Someone said here in the forum. It they are going to spend money on buying kit. They's rather spend the money on something they really wanted rather than spending about the same for a new re-pop. Made sense to me. 

I messed up on the Grand Prix kit. I saw it listed on Ebay. New and sealed. And they had a picture from another site showing a perfectly fine kit and box. When I won the kit the pic that came up showed it all smashed. I was so upset. I should have checked the other pictures and didn't. Luckily when I unsealed and opened it, Nothing was damage. Whew. So I got it for $35 including shipping. 

image2-2.jpeg

image1-3.jpeg

image0-4.jpeg

Great kits David, looking forward  to seeing you build them...

Edited by slusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slusher said:

Great kits David, looking Ford to seeing you build them...

I have to stop buying and start building Carl. Lol. I’m getting some heat at home about this. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, bbowser said:

Came in the mail today from Lithuania.  I'll post up some pics of what's in the box in the review section.  Paid $47 plus postage, $67 total.

DSCN5307.JPG

You got a very good deal. An On-Line hobby shop has them for $ 97.90  + $ 12.80 shipping = $ 110.70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went looking for a specific bobblehead at a local antique mall and came across these.  $10/each and still sealed although the shrinkwrap continues to collapse the boxes.

 

Monogram vintage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HomerS said:

Went looking for a specific bobblehead at a local antique mall and came across these.  $10/each and still sealed although the shrinkwrap continues to collapse the boxes.

 

Monogram vintage.jpg

Those are classics and great price on them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought one of the new 66 Ford pickups and the shrink-wrap is doing the same thing. Why does it do that do you know? Nice buys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those classic car kits don't get much love.  A couple of weekends ago, I bought a Seventies issue Monogram '41 Continental for $6.  I know the guy I bought it from, he described it as a parts kit because he hadn't bothered to check it.  I did check it, it's complete, all plated parts on the trees, and the windshield frame on the body is unbroken.  

On Saturday, I snagged a Seventies issue MPC '32 Chrysler roadster kit for $5.  The parts bag is still sealed, though the hood was apparently packed separately and is outside the bag.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with a few kits this followed me home from the Salisbury swap this past Saturday.
Original screw bottom 61 Ranchero with a decent brush painted finish.
It must have been fairly well taken care of as it didn't even need to be cleaned and the mirrors and bed rails survived intact.
Going straight to the display case as is.

20200217_172237.jpg

20200217_172319.jpg

20200217_172337.jpg

20200217_172433.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank, I love the Ranchero!   I probably have more than a half dozen of these as old customs!  I'm happy you are preserving it.  The best I do to these is to replace missing parts like mirrors, spot lights and wheel spinners and clean them up.  I love to keep them as the builder meant it to be!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mark said:

Those classic car kits don't get much love...

They sure don't.  Checking my spread sheets, I've rarely paid more than $15 for the Monogram Classics and often less, even on eBay.  I had a little trouble finding the Duesenberg Town Car but finally got an original 1974 kit from eBay for $18.30, which included shipping. 

The real cars didn't get much respect for a long time, either.  The Feb. issue of Hemmings Classic Cars was a special Duesenberg issue. It featured a 1929 Model J-111 Dual Cowl Phaeton, body by LeBaron. It was a "star car," once belonging to James Talmadge, the son of Buster Keaton and Norma Talmadge. In 1947, it was sold as a used car for $123. 

Edited by Mike999
omit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Frank, I love the Ranchero!   I probably have more than a half dozen of these as old customs!  I'm happy you are preserving it.  The best I do to these is to replace missing parts like mirrors, spot lights and wheel spinners and clean them up.  I love to keep them as the builder meant it to be!  

When I saw it at the show it seemed to say "take me home with you"
I also like original builds and it now has a home with my three other past swap meet finds, a 63 Ford F100, 63 Nova htp and 63 Nova wagon with trailer.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

They sure don't.  Checking my spread sheets, I've rarely paid more than $15 for the Monogram Classics and often less, even on eBay.  I had a little trouble finding the Duesenberg Town Car but finally got an original 1974 kit from eBay for $18.30, which included shipping. 

The real cars didn't get much respect for a long time, either.  The Feb. issue of Hemmings Classic Cars was a special Duesenberg issue. It featured a 1929 Model J-111 Dual Cowl Phaeton, body by LeBaron. It was a "star car," once belonging to James Talmadge, the son of Buster Keaton and Norma Talmadge. In 1947, it was sold as a used car for $123. 

I been making offer on some of those Monogram Museum kits to build and put with my other three but man they just don’t come down for me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 9:43 PM, ewetwo said:

I have to stop buying and start building Carl. Lol. I’m getting some heat at home about this. 🙂

David, many of us have that problem. It is addictive buying the kits we like or the ones we like as kids....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...